Dry storage under the seat!

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
After we bought the old pontoon boat I installed new furniture from pontoon stuff. The whole set for one side of the boat. A flip up end piece and a bench set that goes in the middle and a corner piece for the end.
The problem was that water would run down the backs of the bench seat and corner seat and into the storage area beneath when it rained.
Looking at the problem I saw that the water would run across the flat area that the seat rested on and down a molded in ledge and drop into the storage area. So I figured out that what I needed was something to block the water from running down inside.
I cut some plastic wood so that it fit against that ledge and stuck up about a quarter of an inch above the flat and screwed it into place and caulked around it with 3M 5200. Then I shimmed the seat hinges up a quarter of an inch.
I looked inside the storage area under the seat this morning after we got an inch of rain last night and it is dry as a bone.
It will be so much handier to use the boat now that I have this extra dry storage under the bench seat. The end seat that flips up at an angle stays dry by design and I am using the corner seat for things that can get wet- at least so far.

Last edited: