Drive In Movies

Stratosfied

Ensign
Does there happen to be one operating in your area? I loved to go to these and there are none around here anymore. Just curious, as someone at work said they were making a slight comeback.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
Re: Drive In Movies

There are a couple back home in OH. We don't have any, that I know of, up here in AK. Too bright in the summer, too cold in the winter.<br />We just watch the Aurora Borealis instead :) <br /><br /><br />AK Chappy

one more cast

Captain

Our little town no longer has a store or a post office but we still have our Drive-in. :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

We have one in North Fort Myers. It runs first-pick films, but it has fallen into severe disrepair over the years. Even the Hurricane damage to the two screens has not been fixed. But it's still there,still operating, and sponsors a flea market weekends.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here on the SF Peninsula, there were four drive in movie theater's, with the last one closing several years ago.<br /><br />It would not be feasable for anyone to open another one here, as most movie goer's are attending the multi-plex theaters. Some have up to 10 screens, in 10 different section's of the complex's.<br /><br />A major problem is the lack of available land for such a business, while the cost being another major factor.<br /><br />The land, if available for a "Passion Pit", would run up to a million dollars an acre, on the northen part of the peninsula, as the property would have to be zoned as industrial. There is virtually no land available for this type of business that would be cost effective.<br /><br />A major reason for this is, a group called, "Peninsula Open Space Trust", (P.O.S.T.), which is funded by both tax payer money and donation's from benifactors. This group is buying up private property to add to their quite extensive holdings, already in place. I'm talking thousands and thousands of acres, so far.<br /><br />They have paid 1 1/2 times the actual market value for some of the lands they have "snatched" off the tax roll. Being a non-profit land grabbing leftist outfit, they pay no property tax.<br /><br />To get suckers to sell their land to the trust, they say all their acquired lands are open to the public, which is "BS." The actual amount of land avaiable for the public, The poor stiff's who actually pay for this, such as my family, are only allowed to access 1/10th. of 1% of the total "grabed" land.<br /><br />The only thing that has changed in the last 30 years of their "grabbing", is they lost the right to obtain much of the land's thru "emanate <br />domain." <br /><br />This occured after this group forced an active "Convent" from their land and paying them way less than market value for their acreage. Now nobody can use the land, as it is now not usable by any of the taxpayer's who got stuck with the tab, much less the Nun's who were forced out.<br /><br />There are many more of these Horror stories in this area. <br /><br />What does this have to do with drive in theater's? H*ll, I don't know...... :confused: <br /><br />...Bob ib Calif...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

We had 2 at one time here close by but both are gone.<br />Ky ranks 10th. in having the most.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

At one time, there were two in my hometown of Whitehall, Ohio, and another close by, east of Reynoldsburg. The ones in Whitehall have long-since been paved over, and the one east of Reynoldsburg was just sold to the State Fire Acadamy this year. It won't re-open. I miss the drive-ins.<br />According to the webpage above, Ohio is still in the top 5% of active drive-ins.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Bob in Calif.:<br /> What does this have to do with drive in theater's? H*ll, I don't know...... :confused: <br />...Bob ib Calif...
But it feels good though, huh? Steams gotta go somewhere!<br /><br />We have one up on 101 not too far from my dogpatch, but he's sitting on money, so it won't last either

Rickfifty

Seaman

Used to have about 10 screens(3 drive-ins) within 10 miles of here. Still have two drive-ins within 20 miles. Didn't care for those old window hanging speakers but I miss the little heaters that you could put in your car. Had to get there early to find a pole with a working speaker AND heater. Now you listen through your cars stereo from their broadcast.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Thanks for the info and the web site. I had no idea that there were so many. The ones in AL are in the northern part of the state. Maybe on a long weekend I can take the family up to see one. I don't remember the heaters though. I recall some kind of skeeter coil thing that you burned.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

The coils were called Caracol.<br /><br />We had to have lots of them in Florida.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hey Stratosfied, perhaps one in northern Fla would be closer.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Still have a few of them in North Texas and Oklahoma...The Winchester is still in business and it's smack dab in the middle of south Oklahoma City....has pretty new releases too...like anybody is watching the movie...

LubeDude

Admiral

If it were not for "Drive in movie theaters" I wouldnt have half the good time memories I have, Actually some I would like to forget!! :eek: :eek: :eek: <br /><br />Almost got kicked out of one once, didnt though. Setting in my Corvette drinking beer with the top down raising all kinds of hell with a freind, watching Easy Rider. Manager said we either had to leave or put the top up. So I just sorta pulled the top up most of the way and he didnt bother us anymore. I fooled them when we left though, he called the cops and told them to be on the lookout for a yellow Corvette coming out of the Drive-in when the movie was over. Had a girl freind there in another car, so when I left, I had her drive me out and I set on the passenger side. Sure enough, there was the cop waiting for me, he pulled us over and you should have seen his face when he looked in the car. He didnt even ask my Girl freind for her licence.<br /><br />And I have a lot more. :D :D :D

Link

Rear Admiral

Out towards Bellfair (sp) we have one that has 4 screens and two moveies per screen. For me Mrs.Link and three kids it was like 12 or 13 dollars to get in. and pop corn and drinks all around was like 8 bucks...<br /><br />Thats real cheap for two movies also

NYMINUTE

Captain

One in Auburn, In. last I heard. Stopped going to those when my kids started going on their own. Nothing like seeing your son behave as bad as you when your were 16.??????? :eek: :eek:

FSHKPR

Ensign

had a few close by now the only one is about 30 miles away just opened up about 2 years ago. havent been there yet.