Drive destroyed

cheezlo

Recruit
I hit something while captaining my friend's boat. Need a replacement drive The whole set up. 26ft Larson Cabrio.
VP part number 3868726 duo prop stainless

flashback

Captain
This is a place of knowledge, you gleen the knowledge from folks, and we all have opinions, most have experienced true experiences, not all answers to your specific question will help but you can get a direction.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A whole drive for a DPE1 will be about $20k for new and about $10k for reman.

You can find good used drives in the $4-$5k range

Let's start...... What did you hit and exactly what is broken.

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi there, welcome to iboats boating forums...Sorry to see you in this situation with your friend's boat. Hopefully it's not putting a wedge between the friendship as this is one of those cases where the inner feelings could make some feel a bit nauseous at times. :(

Maybe seeing the costs for a whole new drive sounds like it could be a better case suited for the boat insurance to help handle the situation??

Are you looking for new or used? What year is the boat?

Please know iboats forums isn't a place to ask to buy parts from others here mainly because technically speaking this is an item you could try and order new through iboats parts store.
Search terms 3868726 (1Products)
Sail_Iboats_Logo_280_x_385_3.png

Volvo Penta Drive 3868726
$21,930.43

See anything in the following that might help?,

Do you have a photo of the overall damage maybe for other opinions? Any boat hull damage too?

What size (number) props is the boat running?

tpenfield

Staff member
The retail price is $19,982.00, but it looks like you can get it for a mere $18,183 :eek:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

This is what I salvaged from a Black Max after hitting some granite boulders in front of Swinburne Island, NY Full speed, full rpm impact. Therev were 2 boats racing each other . The prop was the "High Five" the size of a small grapefruit when removed . Gearcase exploded, crankcase exploded .. The other one just had the lower unit torn off the motor along with the crankshaft lower end.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Would like to know specifically more about the damage. Is the gearcase ruptured or just some bent props. Got a pic? Maybe you just need a new lower and not the entire drive.

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I bought a Chaparral with a VP DPS-A. Boat ran fine during the sea trial and survey. During routine winter maintenance metal chips were found in the gear oil. Upon further examination it looks like the SS props had been repaired. When the outdrive was pulled apart the forward gear was missing two teeth. The teeth floated around the outdrive getting chewed up into smaller pieces.. The outdrive was totally rebuilt with all new gear sets and bearings. About $6500. The outdrive was put on a pallet and shipped to a place to do the rebuild.

The drive needs to be pulled apart and all the gears inspected. The bearings need to be inspected for damage caused by metal particles in the gear oil.

There are a few places in the country that specialize in outdrive rebuilding and repair. The VP dealer is probably not the best place to rebuild the drive.

How banged up are the props. Pray they are aluminum.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I hit something while captaining my friend's boat. Need a replacement drive The whole set up. 26ft Larson Cabrio.
VP part number 3868726 duo prop stainless
Has your friend checked with his insurance ? Might be covered it was for my friends bravo 3

cheezlo

Recruit
I went to the marina for more info. He showed it to me said everything pretty much exploded . We're looking for a solid freshwater used VP DP C1 1:95 OUTDRIVE WITH PROPS.
She didn't have insurance on the boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Not much different between the DPA1 thru the DPE1. Slight changes in the H frame

Post pics of the drive. You may only need a lower and upper. Which you can find a lot easier than a complete drive

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
I went to the marina for more info. He showed it to me said everything pretty much exploded . We're looking for a solid freshwater used VP DP C1 1:95 OUTDRIVE WITH PROPS.
I sure hope she has liability.

OneWireAT1

Cadet