drill holes and spider cracks would this b ok to do?

ohio river rat in KY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just got this boat and has a lot of screw holes with no screws in them and a few spider cracks in places.... would it be ok just to use bondo glass to fill them in? and the next ? is do i need to tear out the all foam to replace the stingers the foam seems to be dry. it looks like some one started restoring and then sold it and the man i got it from used it last year with it half *****ed but i would like to finish it out

Last edited:

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: drill holes and spider cracks would this b ok to do?

Depends on the size of the hole, but the spider cracks can be a sign of something else, someone else with more knowlege of gelcoat wil probably chime in on that...Pictures are worth a thousand words so post what you see, so we see it to

Core sample that foam...I took 1-1/2" PVC pipe, used an angle grinder to sharpen the edge then twisted it in til it hit the hull...give it one last twist while leaning it and then pull the foam out. check the bottom of the foam because it may look and feel dry at the top, but is soaked at the bottom. Also, if you plan to replace the stringers you will have to remove the foam, you are going to have to have 6 inches or so of clean hull glass to tab your new stringers to, and the foam would be in the way.

Just take your time, do it right the first time, and enjoy the boat when its finished!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Welcome to the dry dock,

I agree 100% with the "Judge"...if in doubt, check it out...if it has rot, gut it out...and post pics of your concerns and let the knowledgable folks here see what you see, for the best possible advice on how to proceed.

Bets of Luck,
GT1M

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

We need more info. Mfg of boat, size, Age. It all matters. Pics really help us to help you so post em up and we'll be happy to lend you a hand on your project. JDA1975 gave you good advice. Some basic answers are, IMHO Bondo has no place on a boat. Some use it on topside repairs but I don't like it cuz if the paint chips and water gets to the Bondo it will peel like an orange. I always recommend 3M Premium Marine filler or make your own from Resin and MicroBallons to fill small holes. Spider cracks are usually caused by stress or flex in the fibreglass but can also be caused by impact damage, exposure to hot sun (allegedly:rolleyes:), gelcoat being applied too thickly or not mixed correctly. A good fix for them is just more gelcoat. The pics will greatly help us to diagnose properly.

This is a good read on Spider Cracks and Crazing.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/gelcoat-crazing-part-1-a-944.html

Mike Lammert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello RiverRat, Welcome to the forum! I agree with JDA, the spider cracks come from some other problem, like too much stress on the glass. Mine was spider cracked around the bow eye, turns out the wood backing support was totally rotted, putting too much stress on the glass/gel coat. As for repairs, it depends on the finish you are looking for. If you are painting, I think you could use a marine body filler, but if your boat is gelcoated, I would just fill the holes with gel coat. Remember to chase out the cracks with a dremel bit, to give a decent groove for the filler you choose to grab. Good luck with it.....Post some pics so we can see as well

Mike Lammert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello RiverRat, Welcome to the forum! I agree with JDA, the spider cracks come from some other problem, like too much stress on the glass. Mine was spider cracked around the bow eye, turns out the wood backing support was totally rotted, putting too much stress on the glass/gel coat. As for repairs, it depends on the finish you are looking for. If you are painting, I think you could use a marine body filler, but if your boat is gelcoated, I would just fill the holes with gel coat. Remember to chase out the cracks with a dremel bit, to give a decent groove for the filler you choose to grab. Good luck with it.....Post some pics so we can see as well

Sorry Wood, I think we were typing at the same time....don't mean to copy

ohio river rat in KY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the boat is a 83 baretta 16 ft open runabout almost like the one in my profile pic. all the holes is from trim and railings and a trolling motor that was on it at one time. going to paint the whole boat after get it smoth lookn try to post some pic.s later of the holes and cracks.... now is boat paint and gel coat the same? if not what is the differnce? cause when i read post they talk about painting with gel coat..thanks

Mike Lammert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boat Paint and Gel Coat are two totally different products. Boat paint comes in many different forms, epoxy, polyurethane, 1 part, 2 part ect... Gel coat is basically polyester fiberglass resin with a thickening agent, and a colorant. It is hardened with a catalyst (MEKP), and sanded and polished to a shiny luster. Both have positives and negatives, and depend on the outcome you are looking for and the amount of work you are wanting to put in.

ohio river rat in KY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

getting ready to dremel out the cracks, what will be the best bit to use? stone,sand paper,or a engraving bit? thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You really should post some pics of the areas you are wanting to repair. It helps if we can see what you see.

ohio river rat in KY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

008.JPG009.JPG010.JPG011.JPG012.JPG think they loaded, the 2ed to last one is were the ladder was,the rest is all up front were the rails were and where the back cushions go, i have done nothing to this boat yet this is the way i got it,

ohio river rat in KY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

View attachment 131755View attachment 131756View attachment 131758View attachment 131759View attachment 131760 think they loaded, the 2ed to last one is were the ladder was,the rest is all up front were the rails were and where the back cushions go, i have done nothing to this boat yet this is the way i got it,
the 2ed pic is seen better with out clickn on it; the last one is were the cushion for ur back in the front

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

For the spider cracks I'd use one like this...

You want a v groov so the filler can have a "Bite"

For the holes something like this to cone em out again to give the filler some bite.

51Q0GPY4VTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

now is boat paint and gel coat the same?

Oh boy! Here we go again. I can see another paint versus gel coat thread starting here. Lol

ohio river rat in KY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks woodonglass...... as far as paint or gel i beleave i will go with paint because i am going with some kind of paint skeem 3 or 4 colors and i dont know nothing about the gel

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You might want to check out Page #10 in my "My Flamingo" thread for some painting ideas.

ohio river rat in KY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might want to check out Page #10 in my "My Flamingo" thread for some painting ideas.

thanks for the read thats what i am useing tractor paint but its not the valspar..... heres my motor cover about 6 to 8 hrs today working on it before and after.boat 004.JPGboat 005.JPG

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What paint did you use? Did you use the hardener? Did you Spray or Roll? Looks good.

ohio river rat in KY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

majic enamel paint. no hardener,do i need to add hardener? seen on ur post u did, i plain on putting a clear coat on. sprayed it on cut with thinner, plain on this blue from the rub rail up and on the inside and a grey on the lower with some type of white line or stripe going on the blue and gray.starten at the front at an inch or so wide to about 4inchs at the back with a square c backlash and a light blue for the trim, thinkn going to try that fusion raddle can paint on the vinal. going to try to keep pic acomeing as i progress, but got to wait on the weather outside.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Is that a Water Based Enamel. I believe it is. I would advise going with an oil based for Marine Use. And definitely use a Hardener.