Draining Gas Tank

crawdadric

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1985 Sea Ray SRV300 twin mercs 57L. Alpha 1 outdrives.

I need to 20 approx. 20 gallons of fuel 70 a 70 gallon tank. I like the idea to disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter and use an electric fuel pump to drain the tank. My question is - where to get a fuel pump, one that is a generic type and low cost.
Thank you....

jimmytee

Seaman
Re: Draining Gas Tank

I bought mine at Autozone and it was between 25.00 and 30.00 bucks....I bought enough fuel line so the pump sat outside the boat, but if I did it again, I'd splice more wire on and still allow you to get the pump out of the boat....several people mentioned doing this to eliminate any sparking/fire hazard.

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put a section of copper tubing on mine so I could reach in the corner(light provided from my bic lighter, lol) to finish sucking all the crud out.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If you have somewhat easy access to the fuel gage sender you can also use a siphon hose to "vacuum" the fuel (and crud) out using a 3/4" clear vinyl hose. Use a hose long enough to reach the floor plus another 5 feet or so so you can lift the end up without losing the siphon.

If you've never had the sender out it gives you a change to look at it, replace the gasket and look inside the tank (if the hole is located where you can see inside). Also you can move the hose around in there and vacuum out more crud/water with it.(just have someone be ready to change catch containers for you.)

Also, no electrical or pumps required.....so no sparks.

Cheers,

Rick

DHPMARINE

Captain

70 gallons is a good size tank.After syphoning it maybe you can 'swab' the bottom thru the sending unit hole.Use a rag attached to a wire (coat hanger).

Obviously also change the water seperators.

DHP

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

DO NOT EVEN THINK of using a shop-vac.It works perfectly untill the fumes reach the brushes.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Now THAT's a scary thought! (it might also qualify for the DARWIN awards!!)

Bt said:
DO NOT EVEN THINK of using a shop-vac.It works perfectly untill the fumes reach the brushes.