Drain holes?

Kracken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Drain holes?

SeaBob,

The fittings are well below the waterline when the boat is at the dock. I checked my 23ft Ebbtide and it has the same nylon fitting as the Cobalt and is also well below the waterline. I can?t imagine the fittings were ever above the waterline when boats were not in motion.

What can be done to correct the problem? Also the fitting must be attached to hoses leading to the coolers. Should I be concerned over the hoses and clamps as well? Neither of the boats are very old.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Kracken,
I just did a little research in ABYC section H-27, which governs the installation of t/hulls, seacocks, etc. While it doesn't specify what materials are acceptable and what aren't, it does establish properties that said materials must meet.

The following is a good paragraph...
All materials shall be galvanically compatable and resist degradation to salt water, petroleum products, UV light, ozone, cleaning products likely to be encountered, marine growth, and the effects of heat aging.

Also of note...

The fitting must be able to wihtstand a static force of 500 lbs. for 30 seconds on the attachment point of the fitting...

...along with a number of other loading forces.

Now, that doesn't rule out plastic (nylon), but I feel as a responsible boat builder, I'm going to stay away from nylon...:)

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

ABSOLUTELY! Sorry to reply so late, been busy this aft/evening...

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice

the two drain holes at the very bottem of the boat connect in a t connector inside the boat in which it connects to the livewell, the drain on the livewell is a tube the empties under the motor near the pump, and the other side of the livewell has no tube connecting to it. i want to compltely shut these 2 drain holes down and get them plugged as i do not want the livewell. is there some rubber insert i can buy to plug those holes or take the t connector out and connect the two drain holes together?