drain areas

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is abosolutely no drain areas from each of the bulkheads and either side of the stringers. Even though the manufacturer never thought about it, could I still notch oput some holes when I replace these? It rained recently and its filled with water..

also, The drain plug is not at the bottom of the bilge. It sits about and inch higher than the lowest part of the bilge. Was that just bad design or is there a reason for that?

Friscojarrets boat in his video, his drain plug is at the bottom almost with a downward slope. Mine sits an inch higher with an inch of water in my bilge. could I seal it up and make another one further down or is there a reason for the inch?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: drain areas

There is abosolutely no drain areas from each of the bulkheads and either side of the stringers. Even though the manufacturer never thought about it, could I still notch oput some holes when I replace these? It rained recently and its filled with water..

also, The drain plug is not at the bottom of the bilge. It sits about and inch higher than the lowest part of the bilge. Was that just bad design or is there a reason for that?

Friscojarrets boat in his video, his drain plug is at the bottom almost with a downward slope. Mine sits an inch higher with an inch of water in my bilge. could I seal it up and make another one further down or is there a reason for the inch?

If you are doing a restoration on your boat, you can make any and all improvements you consider necessary to extend the life of your boat...

That includes adding any much needed drainage and sealing up the old bilge drain and making a new one in a lower location...

You should post up pictures of what you are working on to help us see what you see and give you the best possible advice...

Have Fun!
GT1M

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

perfect! when making a boat I would think putting the drain hole at the lowest point in the bilge would be a no-brainer. Here is a pic of the stringers and everything out. Foam was easy to remove as it was soaked with fuel from a hole in the tank.

Since I am fdree to customize it as I want, can I make this a storage locker? I could use more storage. I want the storage locker in photo number 3

DSCN0438 (2).jpg

DSCN0438.jpg

DSCN0439.jpg

rickryder

Commander

Finx... brother.....you should really keep your posts together..... Kinda hard to follow your restoration with mutiple threads.... Just Sayin! ;)

And yes you can build in a ski locker ;)

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats great news! I will make it a storage locker then!

I'll keep it in one post for now on! I just have so many questions! haha

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Where would you put a drain system in a Tri-hull ?

Where is your water coming from ?

I never really understood getting all the drain things in the bulkies and stringers when the deck is going to be Completely Glassed in ( water tight ).

You do not have sump pumps or anything of that nature up front..so why the limber holes ? Your Deck is Sealed right ? ..

The transom compartment would be your Only hole in the boat from fordeck aft that is below the waterline..so that compartment should be Completely sealed in my judgement.

Just me though..

YD.

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do have a drain in the bilge. Its about an inch higher then it should be. I'm getting a lot of water in it because it's been raining here and my boats deck has been cut off. It's not from floating.

I dont know if I should make drain areas or completely seal each section off. Factory had every section sealed off and the deck glassed in. Thats why i have puddles right now.

I was thinking of having every cavity be able to drain to the bilge but still keeping the deck glassed in when im finished. Is this what I should do?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Where would you put a drain system in a Tri-hull ?

Where is your water coming from ?

I never really understood getting all the drain things in the bulkies and stringers when the deck is going to be Completely Glassed in ( water tight ).

You do not have sump pumps or anything of that nature up front..so why the limber holes ? Your Deck is Sealed right ? ..

The transom compartment would be your Only hole in the boat from fordeck aft that is below the waterline..so that compartment should be Completely sealed in my judgement.

Just me though..

YD.
Uhm, if you ever get a hole in the hull you want the water to be able to get back to the bilge via the limber holes and pumped out via the bilge pump. That's my thinking.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Uhm, if you ever get a hole in the hull you want the water to be able to get back to the bilge via the limber holes and pumped out via the bilge pump. That's my thinking.

Titanic comes to mind :D

YD.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Devil's advocate - Many sealed compartments contain leak to damaged ones leaving unharmed ones for buoyancy/floatation.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the reason that the hole is a little higher ....is because

A,...the kid with the drill missed.

B. the structure of the transom is slightly compromised when the very bottom of the transom is cut out.

a good idea is to build up the inside of the bilge just a tad....then your high hole is low to the bottom of the bilge....

but we are only talking about ounces of water here.....and no big deal.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Devil's advocate - Many sealed compartments contain leak to damaged ones leaving unharmed ones for buoyancy/floatation.

I have to +1 this. Or is it +2 because I think that is what Yacht Dr was saying.

A hole in the hull could easy bigger than the bilge pump could handle. I've been planning the containment method for my project.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if you foam the hull.....a hole in the hull wont matter....it is patched instantly

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if you foam the hull.....a hole in the hull wont matter....it is patched instantly

Not sure I'm getting what you mean. I can't remember this aspect of foam being discussed here on the forum. Are you saying:

1) the foam will float the boat

2) the foam expands to block the hole

3) the surface around the hull is sealed

4) the foam restricts the water flow to the amount that pushes around the foam

Thx

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A lot of good arguments on sealing it off or draining it. Oops, do you drain your boats or have sealed compartments?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Being theoretical here..

You wont have enough time on the water to do much damage to the foam around a breached hull. Meaning your foam will not soak in like a wick on the water.

If you really mess up and full power on some rocks or a dead head ..your kinda boned any ways.

If your going to foam and get a hull breach..you have to Remove the foam to get to the inside of that spot ( a real Pain ).

I would rather take my boat out knowing that If I hit something its only going to be in That spot.

Document how you build your resto ( where the bulks and strings are at ) and put them in your boat Folder.

When you get that kind of damage you can tell the Insurance guy that this and that structure is exactly where your telling them ( It helps the glass guys and/or yourself dictate how to repair or inspect the damage ).

YD.