DPS-b drive lifts in reverse

NoXcuse

Cadet
You replaced just the pump not the cover? In any case, if the cover isn't leaking and lines are sound the issue is most likely the rams
The whole assembly, pump, cover, motor. Came with new lines but I didn't replace them since the originals looked fine. It was OEM. So now I have a spare assembly 😁.

Checking out stock at my marina for rams. Turnaround for rebuilt rams will be almost 2 weeks with shipping and I need to get the boat in the water this week. Swapping in new rams looks pretty straightforward. I just wish I knew it was a 100% fix before I shell out another $1200 on rams after the $1000 for the pump assembly!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
So just for my clarity…what stops these lifting up in reverse ? Presumably they can be lifted up when in forward ? In the event of a bottom strike ? Most outdrives I’ve known previously, has this feature…so had to have a physical mechanical locking mechanism for when in reverse. How do these newer outdrives achieve the same ?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
So just for my clarity…what stops these lifting up in reverse ?.....How do these newer outdrives achieve the same ?
The piston in the trim ram is what holds the drive up/down, along with the fluid on either side of the piston in the ram and the check valves in the pump. My guess is it is very similar to the oildyne pump system and has a release valve/pop off in the piston for severe underwater strikes

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The piston in the trim ram is what holds the drive up/down, along with the fluid on either side of the piston in the ram and the check valves in the pump. My guess is it is very similar to the oildyne pump system and has a release valve/pop off in the piston for severe underwater strikes
I’m amazed at this. So different from the outdrives they made previously then.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I’m amazed at this. So different from the outdrives they made previously then.
Well, yes some of the the AQ series had the reverse lock mechanism but the last AQ drives available were in the mid to late 90's. Since then the SX/Cobra series have had either an oildyne pump or the new style which is mounted in the gimbal housing with access from the outside of the boat. Still wondering why they did that one....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Well, yes some of the the AQ series had the reverse lock mechanism but the last AQ drives available were in the mid to late 90's. Since then the SX/Cobra series have had either an oildyne pump or the new style which is mounted in the gimbal housing with access from the outside of the boat. Still wondering why they did that one....
Agree. My 89 DP had it. It wore down a little and resulted in the drive lifting in reverse. Managed to repair it. Happened to a friends 1991 DP too.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
With a new pump unit and if you can lift it my hand the ram o rings are leaking internally. I would take atleast 1 apart and inspect for O ring damage
Spanner wrench is all thats needed

NoXcuse

Cadet
With a new pump unit and if you can lift it my hand the ram o rings are leaking internally. I would take atleast 1 apart and inspect for O ring damage
Spanner wrench is all thats needed
Would that require a special o ring or something I'd be able to get relatively quickly? Not sure which o ring would be needed

NoXcuse

Cadet
Went ahead and bought two new rams and installed them today. Problem fixed. Now I know that the reverse lock is in the rams!

I am going to purchase a ram rebuilt kit from five star marine and attempt to rebuild the old rams to have as back ups if the other drive fails as well. So I'll have an extra set of rams and an extra trim motor and pump. Expensive fix but hoping it'll last well beyond my years with the boat.

Thanks for the help!

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Repair the old rams and sell them on ebay for some money back on the cost of the new.