Downsizing your vehicles

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Geeez, that would cramp your style a bit....trading in your F350 for a Toyota Corolla!! :confused: :( <br /><br />It can't be happening yet, can it..?<br /><br />
<br />US car makers hit by trend to smaller vehicles<br /><br />12.04.05 1.00pm<br />by Katherine Griffiths<br /> <br />Just when America's ailing car industry thought conditions could get no worse, it is finding it cannot even rely on the country's love of all things big to buoy up profits. <br /><br />Americans are abandoning their monster sport utility vehicles (SUVs) in favour of smaller, less expensive cars. <br /><br />For carmakers, which are already fighting intense competition from Asia, adverse economic conditions and high healthcare and pension costs, it's looking dangerously like the end of the road. <br /><br />Big SUVs, with their promise of conquering the great outdoors and pleasing roominess, have been the vehicle of choice for many Americans in the past 15 years. <br /><br />For their Detroit manufacturers, who have been able to make use of historic pick-up truck parts, SUVs have been a huge generator of profits. <br /><br />Unfortunately, the age of super-sizing of cars seems to be coming to an end. <br /><br />Sales of large SUVs have been hit by competition from Asian manufacturers which offer smaller, cheaper models, known as "small SUVs" or cross utility vehicles, and by the fact that the seemingly relentless rise in oil prices is making the American national past-time of gas guzzling too expensive for many. <br /><br />Ford warned on Friday that sales of its truck-like SUVs had fallen by 15 per cent during the first quarter of 2005 and said the car market overall was weaker than expected. <br /><br /> <br />.....<br />
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=2&ObjectID=10120054

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Downsizing your vehicles

Same thing happened in the 70s after the Oil Embargo. I don't know if you were affected by that. I see cherry gas hogs for sale quite often for very low prices. But who wants a car that gets less than 10mpg anymore? Nobody! They sit and sit and sit. Same thing is going to happen to SUVs. You'll be able to get one for a song in a very few years. Just because they suck gas like it's cheap. The bottom of the SUV market is going to drop out anytime now. Dealers won't hardly be able to give one away.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Actually our SUV and truck sales have not slowed down. We have seen an increase in selling the Equinox due to it's gas mileage but people who have the big SUV's and trucks have continued to purchase them. <br /><br />People buy the trucks normally around here for about 60% work and 40% just to be cool and in style. The SUV market has not changed either... there are just some people who have to drive the biggest, badest and are addicted to having that size.<br /><br />Bob <- works at a Chevrolet dealership

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My "monster gas guzzling SUV" gets 18-20mpg on premium.<br /><br />I have been hit by the psychological effect of rising gas prices just like most Americans, and my gas card bill is lower than when premium was $1.50. Now it is $2.25-$2.50.<br /><br />I just drive less. Two trips to town (20-30miles) a week instead of three. Walk (2 miles) to the post office instead of drive, Go to visit children (70-300miles) once every couple of months instead of monthly.<br /><br />So driving half as much on gas that is 50% more has reduced my gas consumption and cost.<br /><br />I realize that most don't have the option of cutting their mileage in half that way, but many can reduce it, have the option of pooling on some trips or simply bicycling or walking for short stuff.<br /><br />I suspect that the sales of motorcycles are gonna go up. In many parts of the world they outnumber cars and trucks on the streets and hiways by a large margin. I might add one to my garage.<br /><br />Next year we will be able to get many more vehicles with efficient Diesels and there will be many more options in hybrid vehicles. BioDiesel and LNG/LPG are viable fuel options in many places.<br /><br />I understand that Diesels outnumber gas powered cars in Europe. In Brazil they burn more ethanol than gasoline.<br /><br />I see the "crisis" more one of our transportation styles and habits than the price of gasoline. After all, the price of gas has risen far less than the price of housing, milk, beer and other necessetities over the last 20-30 years. It is just the sharp jump that has us spooked.

Homerr

Commander

Well said JB...<br /><br />I think I'm going to put a motorcylce in my garage too. <br /><br /><br />H.

dolluper

Captain

You wantta play you got to pay if you don't pay you don't play , motorcycles are great my old Norton 750 gets about 43>>>50 mpg and drives circles around most things on the road[when theres no snow or ice]

sangerwaker

Commander

Everybody catch that....JB said beer was a necessity!! :D :D :p

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

well it is<br /> beer or should I say water to make more beer was one of the reasons the pilgims set in at plymouth rock. they were out of beer. before pasturizing beer would last less than 30 days. had to drink upand make more or it went bad. gosh the discovery channel is interesting. seems it was written in one of the shipd logs. but as soon as we secure OUR oil and lower the stipend we pay other countries for storing OUR oil the price may ease back down. but if ya can afford a 50K navigator or Escalade or a Hummer you have enough money that 1.50 or 2.50 it aint gonna matter. is the poor ones eeking out an existance with both parties working and already driving hyundia and daewoo's that its killing. do ya buy diapers and babyfood or gas to commute to work. here some people commute over an hour each way for 9 dollars an hour. my drive is almost 30 miles each way.but I alsohave the option of increasing my billing rate at any time if I so desire. most dont. most of this so called crunch is engineered for profits. the rest is strictly cxapitalism and market enterprise. if country X has oil and country Y needs it and country Z offers more than Y where does the oil go? quite a bit of alaskan oil now goes overseas. some may stop at a refinery first but the oil company pays a lease to the feds for the drilling rights. to whom the oil company sells to and for how much is up tothe company. in some countries the state owns the oil and can have a say as to where and for how much it gets sold. soit goes back that the economic dynamics are rapidly changing. while pure communisim/socilism wont work neither will pure capitalism. both tend toput all the wealth and power in the hands of the few who then see that anything goes and no one can touch them and usually they get the attidude that they and only they know what is best for all. while our system may have flaws its still about the best one going.

NYMINUTE

Captain

My SUV tows my boat only, My Van gets 22-25 Hgwy.<br />SUV 13. Van is ugly w/ 200K. I think 2X before going anywhere now.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think soon you will discover the benefits of Diesel in an SUV. Mine is 2.7 Tonnes ,tows 3500 KG and get 27-30mpg.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

3500kg = 7700lbs

D

DJ

Who said "Detroit" has a lock on gas guzzlers? <br /><br />It seems to me that the Japanese are busting into that market-BIG TIME.<br /><br />The Nissan Titan/Armada do not advertise fuel econmy, they advertise POWER.<br /><br />Guess what? Power comes at a cost-read fuel economy. Please, don't anyone tell me their Titan-V-8 is getting 30 MPG. If you do, you're lieing.<br /><br />My '05' F-150-4X4 Super Crew gets an honest 16.0-average. That means real world driving-A/C on at all times and speeds up to 85 MPH-sustained. Sometimes, it drops to 15.8 or 9 if I have great deal of stop and go.

KennyKenCan

Commander

I'll keep my big truck forever!<br /><br />
fa02d5b9.jpg
<br /><br />I love my 18MPG!!

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Chris Myers:<br /> I think soon you will discover the benefits of Diesel in an SUV. Mine is 2.7 Tonnes ,tows 3500 KG and get 27-30mpg.
Trouble is Chris, they aint had to put up with our fuel prices! Funny that the States don't seem to have realised that a diesel is a better towing vehicle anyway though... I had to tow my old 2.5 tonne Nissan pickup 5 miles with an 1800 diesel Fiesta when it broke down-I was surprised but it didn't seem to have much trouble doing it either.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

the supply and demand game.. cost less to produce diesel yet right now its more expensive here by $.20 .. shipping all those iboats and Ebay orders I suppose :p :D I need my PSD F-250 so its going to stick around.<br /><br /><br />DJ - you have the Triton 5.4 or 4.6 in your '05 F-150? 4X4? cab size/style? .. I drove a dual cab last week - was real nice!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

gotchya .. <br />pardon the extra ??'s .. forgot ya had it listed

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Barlow, <br /><br />Where do you live that you can get away with 85mph sustained?<br /><br />I have a 93 Mustang (302 cid) automatic, and on the highway, Cruise Control at 60 mpg, I average between 29 and 31 mpg. At 65 it falls to 26 - 29, at 70 it falls to 24 - 27. Never had it above 70 long enough to see what the mileage would be.<br /><br />I had an 84 F-150 (302 cid) the got 24 - 26 consistantly. I filled up in Palm Springs, drove to Redding, CA and filled up and drove all the way to Everett, WA.<br /><br />Craig