Downsizing your vehicles

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Downsizing your vehicles

JB put it the best, change of driving habits will curb the sting. I think real hard before making trips now. Before, I would come home from work, then drive to the store. Now I go to the store right from work. I am tired, but I suck it up. I just plan my trips better. I have been eyeballing my mountain bike as well. I don't live that far from where I work, I could bike it in 15 minutes, 10 if I kick it in the arse. It takes me 5 minutes to drive to work. If I get to bring the company truck home like I did last year, that will eliminate all the fuss. Plus, I just got a $1.00 an hour raise, that will help as well.<br /><br />I considered getting a more economical vehicle, and decided against it. I like my truck, it does everything I need it too, and other than fuel, it is cheap to insure and to own. If a person thinks about it, gas prices were higher back in the 70s during the crisis if you adjust for inflation. Yeah, that also killed the big American V8 sedan as well but that came back in the form of the SUV. I do agree that most people drive unrealistically huge and excessive vehicles for what they really need, but that is their problem. If they want to burn the money on gas, let them. Other than the depletion of resources just to look cool, we only hurt ourselves...

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Mercury140-I6:<br /> Barlow, <br /><br />Where do you live that you can get away with 85mph sustained?<br />...<br />....<br /><br />Craig
Craig - :confused: ... I'm not following where ya got the "85mph"<br /><br />I've had the '02 7.3 diesel 250 up @ there but, never had the 'green hornet' pegged there..<br /><br />did I miss something??

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> ...there are just some people who have to drive the biggest, badest...<br />
Make me pity :D the schmucks driving Excursions...yeah right! No reason for most of those beasts to exist, IMO.

Twidget

Commander

My company vehicle is looking better every time I see a gas sign. Company pays for gas and repairs. <br /><br />We only have to pay for the wifes commute. Her Sebring gets 28 or so hiway/city combined, so its not too bad yet.<br /><br />It has sort of cut into my runs to the lake in my truck. Its an 80 mile round trip.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I reckon I'm stuck in the midle of Rodbolts theory of life. The wife drives an Expedition (14-16 mpg), I drive a Hyundai(28 or better mpg) and my playtoy is a 89 F250 (10mpg). I guess I am cheap and spendy at the same time.