Doghouse from scratch

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Doghouse from scratch

Okay, here's a quick update on the doghouse;

After sitting for a long while, I tried to put carpet on the sides... it didn't work well, because I had a bad bucket of glue.

So, I tried a different brand of glue. I let it sit for a bit before I was going to put the carpet on, to let it get tacky. Then a lady friend called, and the next thing I know it's 6 hours later and the glue is hard. Sigh.

So, the next day I thought it over, and put another layer of the same glue over the first layer, thinking the solvent in it should make it stick rather well to the dry stuff.

It seems to have worked, so now I'm cutting some nautolex for the top and working out how to mount a cable reel there, and getting hardware set up to latch this thing down over the motor. I also need to put some hardware on for storing swim fins and some sound insulation for the interior.

Pics relatively soon.

Erik

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the bond should hold, as your idea is sound. (new glue on old glue)

any thoughts on sound proofing yet?

erikgreen

Captain

I'm planning on soundproofing with Dynamat once I get there on my list of projects... it sounds pretty good for now though, what with the new engine and all (like a racecar, actually) :)

Here's the pics of the remainder of the work to date.

First, what it looked like once I installed the carpet on the sides, using a different can of glue (I had a bad can):

PIC00011.JPG

Then, I covered the top with some spare nautolex, same color as my deck covering, and used carpet edging strips to trim the edges... not as neat as I'd like, I had a gap there that I ended up covering with a couple small pieces of edging, one on each side. Sometime when I get around to re-doing it I'll just cut the side pieces a bit longer and bend 'em.

PIC00012.JPG

Last, here's the doghouse in place in the boat. That's my new cabinetry on the back, basically just plywood coated with resin. I just realized I have a completely different set of tools on top of it for this pic :) It's just too handy to set stuff on it.

PIC00016.JPG

Basically all that needs to be done is attach the hold downs (it's just going to clamp in place, no hinge for now) and I have yet to install some bolt-down brackets on top to hold a cable reel. Also there's the aforementioned dynamat, and I need to put holders for swim fins on the sides too. It just never ends :)

Erik