dog dials 911

knobby

Chief Petty Officer
Leana Beasley has faith that a dog is man’s best friend.<br />Faith, a 4-year-old Rottweiler, phoned 911 when Beasley fell out of her wheelchair and barked urgently into the receiver until a dispatcher sent help. Then the service dog unlocked the front door for the police officer.<br /><br />“I sensed there was a problem on the other end of the 911 call,” said dispatcher Jenny Buchanan. “The dog was too persistent in barking directly into the phone receiver. I knew she was trying to tell me something.”<br /><br />Faith is trained to summon help by pushing a speed-dial button on the phone with her nose after taking the receiver off the hook, said her owner, Beasley, 45, who suffers grand mal seizures.<br /><br />Guided by experts at the Assistance Dog Club of Puget Sound, Beasley helped train Faith herself.<br /><br />The day of the fall, Faith “had been acting very clingy, wanting to be touching me all day long,” Beasley said Thursday.<br /><br />The dog, whose sensitive nose can detect changes in Beasley’s body chemistry, is trained to alert her owner to impending seizures.<br /><br />But that wasn’t what was happening on Sept. 7, and Faith apparently wasn’t sure how to communicate the problem. During Beasley’s three-week hospital stay, doctors determined her liver was not properly processing her seizure medication.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: dog dials 911

HOLY COW!! :eek: <br /><br />Woman's best friend, too. :D

spratt

Lieutenant

OMG, rotties!!! I luv those guys!!! I had one but had to give him away...he now lives with a Veterinary Assistant so I know he is well taken care of!!! What a SMART fella he was!!!!! (In comparison to the box of rocks stoopid Boxer we had a long time ago)...

sangerwaker

Commander

Cool Story. Animals are very amazing. It always intrigues me how specialized the training for animals, especially dogs, can be.

spratt

Lieutenant

I had the opportunity once when I was a Field Service Tech to visit a K9 training facility in Tacoma, wa...THAT was way kool!!! The day I was there, all the dogs were shepherds,and some were BIIIIIIIIIIG!!! I also know a guy who raises Rottweilers for Law Enforcement, and they are a original German breed, and you wanna talk BIG? Man they are huge dogs...but so smart!!!

spratt

Lieutenant

Also, when I did contract work in Seatlle, I would commute on teh ferry / bus system, adn there were always Worker dogs helping blind, mentally impaired, and folks with seizures, etc, who depended on public transportation...I made friends with someone who trained them prior to an assignment, and they are pretty strict about the dogs playthings, no petting on the job, etc...a lot like a K9 Police officer...and now they use tehm to sniff for bombs at teh ferry lines prior to loading cars on the boats...

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

Wonder if he answers those telemarketer's calls? "Hang on a minute, "Hank" wants to talk to you..