Does anybody get flu shots?

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have never had one and I never plan on getting one. <br /><br />I haven't had the flu in over 12 years. I haven't had a real cold in over 10 years. That could be from the imunities I have built up over the years, working with some real slime balls, in confined areas. A good portion of these people are from third world countries, with little or no health standards.<br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Does anybody get flu shots?

Never had one here neither. Don't plan on it.<br />Ever time my FIL has one, he gets sick so I don't want one.

Link

Rear Admiral

On active duty military and reserves from 71 to 91 yes with no ill effects. After 91 no, not Nope!<br /><br />A guy I work with gave me his theory on this yesterday over coffee. He figures that when all those shots are given out which infects each person, they then in turn infect everyone else they come in contact with. <br /><br />Love your avatar Spinner! :)

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I heard in the news last week that flu shots will not be given to anyone except the very young and the very old this year.

sangerwaker

Commander

And even the old will be a very selective process. My wife works with an 84 year old woman and they turned her down!<br /><br />I have never had one either, and don't know that I will. Most everyone I know that has gotten one has gotten quite sick afterwards. I haven't had the flu in many years, so I really don't see a need for one.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I never had one,I do get rabies shots every 3 years.My son is in a high risk group and he has had his already.

JB

Of course it was long ago, but every flu shot the Navy gave me put me in sick bay for a week.<br /><br />Now, with 5 nurses in the family I get first class treatment and haven't had flu in about 15 years.

mattttt25

Commander

i really believe it's not possible to get sick from the flu shot. always got one and never got sick. the doctors back me up on this theory.<br /><br />but i don't plan on getting one, and ask every other healthy person not get one, so my little girl can. save the vacine for those who need it this year.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Been getting one for 6 years since I started my current job.<br />No ill effects except from the rejection I got after asking the nurse out to dinner.<br /><br />Was provided free on site, now we are supposed to pay.<br />But it has now been cancelled because of the shortage.<br />Recommended we contact our doctor if we are in a high risk group.

SpinnerBait_Nut

mattttt25, tell my FIL that and he will laugh at you.<br />Ever time he gets one, he gets sick. Go figure.<br /><br />It effects different people in different ways.<br />IMO. I know, I see it when he gets his.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Wife gets one every year through her work (free, they don't want her sick - go figure).<br /><br />Every year she has a week off because the shot makes her ill.<br /><br />Duh, see something wrong with this picture.<br /><br />Aldo

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> Wife gets one every year through her work (free, they don't want her sick - go figure).<br /><br />Every year she has a week off because the shot makes her ill.<br /><br />Duh, see something wrong with this picture.<br /><br />Aldo
There ya go. :mad:

crab bait

Captain

i wlll never not ever get a flu shot.. by hook or by crook i'll have one ths year ,too.. <br /><br />it makes me bullet proof.. from everthing.!!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Never get one.<br /><br />SBN - I have an uncle who's a Doc up at Mayo Clinic that says the same thing of the effects.. different strokes for different folks.<br /><br />a shot of penicillin and B-12 go a long ways for this guys immune system.

mattttt25

Commander

ok, i guess you can get sick, but you can't get the flu from the vaccine. sorry.<br /><br /> http://my.webmd.com/content/pages/6/4068_140.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

matt - I'll trust the advice of a Mayo clinc MD over some Web BS advice anyday ... sorry. <br /><br />The drug companies hooked another one.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

May I suggest buying/reading a book .. <br /><br />'Mayo Clinics Guide to Self Care'.<br /><br />This could help for future referance also.<br /><br /><br />If the flu shot seems to help .. get it. <br /><br />If it doesn't, don't get it ... pretty simple.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I don't get one. I have rarely had the flu. Last year though, I had it bad while on vacation 500 miles away at the in-laws during Christmas. I spent most of the week on my sister-in-laws couch, while the wife spent time with her family.