Does a hydro foil = stiff steering?

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
First a little history, I purchased a Glastron SX175 the po had the boat repowered with a 5.0 and alpha gen 2 drive.
The po spent a lot of money trying to make a fairly light bow rider into a wakeboard boat.. any how the boat has sat in the po garage for the past 3 years he was told the motor was locked up.

I offered the guy 1,000 dollars he said no! his wife rolled her eyes and grunted then he said ok......... got the boat home pulled spark plugs...
would not budge.......... pulled the serpentine belt and bingo the alternator was broke internally and was locked up.

performed all the re commisioning items and finally took boat out last Sunday.... everything is fine boat hops up on plane.

Now back to original question..... the boat has a hydro foil on it and does not have power steering...the steering is stiff when under way

Do the hydro foils cause stiff steering on boats with no power steering?

I know the simple answer is pull the foil and try it........but just looking for opinions from others

oh.... steering feels like normal none power steering when on trailer.

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Does a hydro foil = stiff steering?

The simple answer is No, they do not cause it to be stiff. It's manual steering and torque from the engine. I take it the boat steers easy when at idle, the stiffness increases as speed does?

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the fast response..... yes it seems what I would consider easy or normal... granted i have only been out one time,
but it seems to be normal at idle then stiff at a cruising speed then if I get the boat up on top of the water and trimmed out it seems to steer easier again........ if that makes sense

BTW is it a cost prohibitive venture to install power steering?

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member

Thanks for the fast response..... yes it seems what I would consider easy or normal... granted i have only been out one time,
but it seems to be normal at idle then stiff at a cruising speed then if I get the boat up on top of the water and trimmed out it seems to steer easier again........ if that makes sense

BTW is it a cost prohibitive venture to install power steering?

Thanks

Adding power steering is costly, need a pump, brackets, pulley, steering ram and hoses, etc. Hydraulic steering would be an easier install but this to would be costly. Teleflex makes an add on for around $1100

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

Adding power steering is costly, need a pump, brackets, pulley, steering ram and hoses, etc. Hydraulic steering would be an easier install but this to would be costly. Teleflex makes an add on for around $1100

Wow......... the steering already feels better just sitting behind the computer.....:lol:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Wow......... the steering already feels better just sitting behind the computer.....:lol:

That was a cheap fix. LOL

Is the steering just as stiff or hard when turning both directions? Easier one way or the other?

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

I think it's pretty much the same either way........I was kinda hoping the consensus would be that the foil adds to weight to the steering..............I'll just consider it redneck auto pilot...........