do vintage Johnson red gas tank contain lead paint ?

FLATHEAD

Commander
anything that comes out of a rattle can will melt the second fuel comes in contact with it .
unless this tank is going to be an ornament in a man cave it needs to be powder coated or a 2k paint job done.

i would 2 k epoxy paint it .

caution : don't eat /drink the paint or use the dust in a sandwich after sanding it may contain isocyanates that are more harm full than lead.
I’ve painted a bunch of mini bike tanks with rattle cans and nobody spills more gas than kids filling them up. Have not seen a one “ melt” yet.

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Eastwood sells a 2K clear coat in a rattle can.
You could topcoat the red with it for better protection (I would think). You would have to test it to see if it reacts to whatever paint you use

airshot

Rear Admiral
Grinders and wire brushes are way to much work and end up with poor results. Have painted many old marine tanks over the years, simply sand blast the outside, primer and paint ! Even good quality paint from a rattle can will work great, stay away from the 1.99 cans of spray paint...if you want give it a good clear coat for extra life. Stay away frim cheap paint and nake sure it is thoroughly dry before splashing gas on it....like two weeks anyway, the paint needs to fully cure!!!