do vintage Johnson red gas tank contain lead paint ?

Chuck3878

Recruit
I have these type of red gasoline tanks that came with an old Johnson Seahorse (1962 18hp) that I picked up. I know these tanks are old, as the paints are peeling off. Were these tanks painted with lead paint back in the day? I have kids with me on the boat, and it is something that really worries me. How would you deal with it? Should I take an angle grinder and remove the paint, then repaint with a layer of modern paint? I know the other option is to buy some plastic tanks, but I really like the metal ones as they are easier to clean.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 4
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 4

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats.

Yes, paint it with a good quality industrial, or tractor paint.
Oh wait, those contain lead.

Unwarranted concern in my opinion.
Lead is everywhere.
A good percentage of the country's (US) water pipes are lead.

Why are the children chewing on the gas can?
They must be darn hungry. :)

Gonna have to eat a lot more than a paint chip or two to do any damage.

If you want to paint it so it looks better, do it.
A little sand paper and a spray can is all you need.

The Force power

Commander
Welcome to iboats.

Yes, paint it with a good quality industrial, or tractor paint.
Oh wait, those contain lead.

Unwarranted concern in my opinion.
Lead is everywhere.
A good percentage of the country's (US) water pipes are lead.

Why are the children chewing on the gas can?
They must be darn hungry. :)

Gonna have to eat a lot more than a paint chip or two to do any damage.

If you want to paint it so it looks better, do it.
A little sand paper and a spray can is all you need.
Back in the day even the Gas contained lead :D

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Angle grinder = Sparks + Gasoline = Kaboom
Ask Jay Leno

Use a stripper, then sand by hand, prime and paint

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
repaint the tank before you take it on the boat for your kids to eat the paint

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those tanks are far better than any plastic tanks.------Plastic is what will ruin the world !!

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats . . .

When you go boating, bring plenty of sammiches and snacks so the kids won't have to eat the paint flaking off the gas tank. :LOL:

or . . .

Prep and re-paint the tank with a fuel resistant paint. :unsure:

Chuck3878

Recruit
Angle grinder = Sparks + Gasoline = Kaboom
Ask Jay Leno

Use a stripper, then sand by hand, prime and paint

I will fill the tank with soap water, dump, rinse, repeat a few times to remove all the explosives before hitting it with a grinder.

stresspoint

Ensign
i think any modern paint impervious to fuel is going to be more hazardous to eat than a few specks of 60 year old lead paint.

personally i would educate the kids not to eat fuel tanks.🍿

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will fill the tank with soap water, dump, rinse, repeat a few times to remove all the explosives before hitting it with a grinder.
My opinion, I think thats a bad choice. The metal is fairly thin and contoured. You may be removing too much metal trying to get the paint off. If you go that route, use a light touch

Ironhorse2022

Seaman Apprentice
My guess is the PO was concerned about breathing in sanding dust containing lead although the hungry jokes made me laugh. As I get older and slightly smarter, I wear a mask for more activities. I truly hate to think of all the crap I‘ve breathed in the past. One benefit of Covid is I now have n95 masks everywhere and try to use them when sanding anything. I even use them when sweeping out the garage to avoid the dust allergy reaction I always get. I’d use tractor paint in a rattle can as some have suggested. At least 3 coats, applied an Hour apart as those coats are thin.

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would scuff with a scotchbright pad and simply rattle can it
Yes. I would also think the cans are galvanized under the red paint and that is something you dont want to remove with a grinder nor do you want to breath in while doing so....

stresspoint

Ensign
anything that comes out of a rattle can will melt the second fuel comes in contact with it .
unless this tank is going to be an ornament in a man cave it needs to be powder coated or a 2k paint job done.

i would 2 k epoxy paint it .

caution : don't eat /drink the paint or use the dust in a sandwich after sanding it may contain isocyanates that are more harm full than lead.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Simply not true.
use brake fluid it should peel paint right off, if not use a gel type stripper. where are the gas cans mounted that the kids could get to them? the younger they are the move dangerous,touching lead wont kill ,pretty sure you got to ingest it. little kid/babioes put every thing in their mouth.thats why it was outlawed. i cleaned alot of part with leaded gas back in the 70's

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Prep really depends on condition.

There is really need to strip. Remove loose paint, spot putty, spray with a sandable primer and top coat with enamel of your choice.

The explosion hazard is way over stated. Sanding, grinding, whatever on the outside is no problem with the tank sealed up, ie lid on the tank. If still worried, use a Phosphorus bronze brush on a grinder or buffer.

Have welded on many fuel tanks over the years as well. Simply rinse with detergent. Let it air out for a bit, then fill with water and weld.