Do I take the tree down completely?

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Do I take the tree down completely?

power co would much rather mess with trees near wires than risk people knocking power out and/or possibly getting hurt. the contractor should remove or mulch everything. last time i received a notice, i was given the choice of them hauling it or leaving the mulch for me. that was about 6 mos ago and the crew still hasn't been out. they said it might be a while before they get to it.

They were verrry responsive. The contracted co was out Monday and I got the liberty of them taking all day to climb my two trees. They didn't take my bait, but I got to over hear there family issues as they ate long lunches and held my fence up with there elbows.

The old guy climbing the tree...heh he took quite a few water cooler breaks on his way up, but he was essentially hand-cutting using a repelling system and your typical extension saw. There were about 5 guys and it appeared they kind of bounced around throughout the neighboring yards doing various tasks involved with trimming...and a LOT of BS'ing lol.

It made me confident I could repel up this thing and cut the dead branches myself. In fact, I'm gonna call my buddy, he is a Commander for one of the Mall of America's (megamall's) squads and I know he has all the repelling equipment. I haven't seen him in a while but I know he'd be willing to go up there with me :eek:

As for the tree...it looks to be a maple by the attached picture. I could be wrong I am no tree expert, hence the thread.
2012-05-25 19.38.48.jpg

drrpm

I'd leave a healthy tree alone. As for do it yourself cutting and rappelling in trees, it would be wise to remember that logging is the second most dangerous job after commercial fishing.

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Many years ago I lived in a forested neighborhood. One neighbor cut down most of his trees and planted a lot of grass. He was proud of his nicely landscaped yard. He occasionally asked me what I was going to do about my trees that abutted his lot on one side. I liked my trees and privacy. I told him I wasn't going to cut any down. I could tell he wasn't happy. Of course, he got his "I told you so" moment when a storm came through and knocked down one of my trees, on top of his power line to the house and a very little bit of damage to his siding. I called in the insurance companies and didn't cut down any trees, much to his chagrine.

WRT to your problem, I know in VA that if any part of your tree overhangs your neighbor's property line, the neighbor can have the overhanging parts cut down without consulting you, but he has to pay for the work.

rivermouse

My neighbors tree had a big limb break and fall on the other neighbors power lines and take them down setting the house on fire. The neighbor who owned the tree had to let their homeowners insurance cover it. If the tree had not of been in bad condition the homeowners insurance of the house that had damage would have paid. We have limbs laying on power lines every where but the power company says the problem inst theirs and will do nothing .

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

If the big tree has a few big dead branches, have them removed. It will make your neighbor happy, and the tree happy too. It will let more sunlight into the rest of the tree, and will perk up the other branches. (more new leaves close to the trunk, more new growth)

Even if it looks like you could do it with no problem, I would not do it. Trees look nice, but they are evil. They like to kill anybody with a saw, and will ignore your clever rope and pulley plans. Leave it to the pros, and make sure your pros have insurance.

I read somewhere pre-internet days that neighborhood tree fellers is one of the top 3 or 4 most dangerous jobs on the planet. I believe it. I had a tree taken down by a very competent tree pro a few years ago. I called him this spring to deal with another one. (I got a nice 22" chainsaw at a yard sale and I wanted to do it myself. My wife wouldn't let me) I found out my tree pro died last spring in a tree felling accident.

Bondo

Staff member

They were verrry responsive. The contracted co was out Monday and I got the liberty of them taking all day to climb my two trees. They didn't take my bait, but I got to over hear there family issues as they ate long lunches and held my fence up with there elbows.

The old guy climbing the tree...heh he took quite a few water cooler breaks on his way up, but he was essentially hand-cutting using a repelling system and your typical extension saw. There were about 5 guys and it appeared they kind of bounced around throughout the neighboring yards doing various tasks involved with trimming...and a LOT of BS'ing lol.

It made me confident I could repel up this thing and cut the dead branches myself. In fact, I'm gonna call my buddy, he is a Commander for one of the Mall of America's (megamall's) squads and I know he has all the repelling equipment. I haven't seen him in a while but I know he'd be willing to go up there with me :eek:

As for the tree...it looks to be a maple by the attached picture. I could be wrong I am no tree expert, hence the thread.
View attachment 148578

Ayuh,... It's a Maple, but there's 1000s of different Maples...

I wish I could be there to watch you do yer tree climbin',...
I'm bettin' life will look different from the Tree, than it does from the ground....

Been there, 'n done it,.... You'll scare yerself Shipless...

salty87

Commander

View attachment 148578

union job from the sounds of it. you're paying your elec bill you're paying for these services. let them deal with it no matter how long it takes. if you've repeatedly notified them of the problem and they do nothing...your butt is covered.