Do I survey a 25K boat

puff tentacle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So, I have had about 5 boats in my life and the only one that I did a pre purchase survey on was $50K . My current boat was $15k and all I did was Sea trial and got service records on outboard. Boat and engine has been great to me. I currently have a deposit on a boat that has an outboard thats still under warranty. Boat has n9 soft spots on the deck and I smell no gas when I open the hatches and bilge. I am definitely sea trialing the boat but I am not sure if I am going to do a survey which basically would be of the hull. It is an older 1994 boat with original gas tank which is the only reason I am considering a survey. Visual observation and my gut tells me the boat was well taken care of and I have a good feeling about the integrity of the current owner. What say you ?
thanks

Scott06

Vice Admiral
So, I have had about 5 boats in my life and the only one that I did a pre purchase survey on was $50K . My current boat was $15k and all I did was Sea trial and got service records on outboard. Boat and engine has been great to me. I currently have a deposit on a boat that has an outboard thats still under warranty. Boat has n9 soft spots on the deck and I smell no gas when I open the hatches and bilge. I am definitely sea trialing the boat but I am not sure if I am going to do a survey which basically would be of the hull. It is an older 1994 boat with original gas tank which is the only reason I am considering a survey. Visual observation and my gut tells me the boat was well taken care of and I have a good feeling about the integrity of the current owner. What say you ?
thanks
Really depends on your comfort level with assessing the condition. I do all my own work so i basically do the survey myself, but i feel confident in my knowledge base.
big concern with 94 is stringers and transom wood Rot. From what i understand only can tell by drilling

puff tentacle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Really depends on your comfort level with assessing the condition. I do all my own work so i basically do the survey myself, but i feel confident in my knowledge base.
big concern with 94 is stringers and transom wood Rot. From what i understand only can tell by drilling
I definitely can’t drill any holes pre purchase😂. The Stringers are fiberglass and the transom didn’t seem to flex at all when I pulled down on the outboard, not sure if that is really is an indicator for a rotted transom.
thanks

zool

Captain
What 94 hull are you considering?...make matters.
As stated before, I do my own work, so I do my own survey.

Soft readings on the deck of a 94 18br and a 94 30 express can mean different conclusions.

Runnabouts rot from the stringers up, cruisers dont usually rot, but when they do, its from the deck down.

puff tentacle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What 94 hull are you considering?...make matters.
As stated before, I do my own work, so I do my own survey.

Soft readings on the deck of a 94 18br and a 94 30 express can mean different conclusions.

Runnabouts rot from the stringers up, cruisers dont usually rot, but when they do, its from the deck down.
It’s a Steiger Craft 23

puff tentacle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I read 94 was the transition from wood stringers and deck to composite. Still wood cored transom.
I spoke to Al Steiger , 1996 they went away from wood floors but still wood transom as you mentioned.
thanks

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
If your primary concern is the gas tank, is it aluminum or plastic? My tank of that ear is plastic. I would be more concerned with an aluminum tank that age.

mr 88

Commander
I say if your confident enough in your surveying skills , don't need a survey for Insurance , don't mind possibly getting burned with repairs and the 25k is pocket change to you, go for it.

shrew

Lieutenant

Nobody is going to let you drill holes into their boat during a survey. They do make moisture meters, which a surveyor will have, use and know how to read.

Unless you are familiar with ABYC standards and understand marine 12vdc 120vac marine plumbing and basic marine construction, I would not suggest surveying your own boat.

Also, you're getting a lot of advise from some folks who clearly do not actually understand what is involved in a marine survey.