Do I need dual cranking batteries?

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've had mostly outboards but one 20' bowrider with a merc I/O I had came with dual batteries and the "battery1/battery2" switch. I'm pretty anal about keeping good quality charged batteries on my boat but should I consider installing the dual system on my 18' with 90 merc O/B?

I have a second battery for a trolling motor up front but they are completely separate circuits and I tend to drain that one while I'm fishing. Can't really rely on it to start anything.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Do I need dual cranking batteries?

Not necessary by any means. It is solely for your piece of mind.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

I only ran the duals for the main circuit when I have electronics pulling a lot of juice (AKA stereo with amps). It is good peace of mind but not required at all.

I don't know about your outboards, but my old one did virtually nothing when it came to recharging the batteries. The duals were handy if I didn't bother to charge it up, but I never went through a full battery in a day. I put in a smart charger and it was money well spent. I just plugged it in as soon as it got parked in the driveway and didn't worry about unplugging until I took it out again.

MikeB0307

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We only run one cranking battery on our boat and we're running a Merc 90. Never an issue. Save the weight and just make sure you've got a good battery.

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I run a cranking batt and a deep cycle on my 4.3 merc. But I also have a big stereo that i dont want to worry about when parked.

Normally I tend to start it on the cranking battery run it till I get to where I'm going so it gets topped up then when I stop I switch to my deep cycle and run off that for the rest of the day. Then that way if we are beached for awhile listening to tunes I know i can always start it back up by flicking the switch

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Depends on what waters you are on, the type of boating you do and all that. I felt so much better having a 2 battery system, but I do spend time on the great lakes and if you are stranded, it's not like you just wait for the wind or another boater to get you to shore. I also always had a kicker motor for fishing, but it did save my butt once or twice when I had engine failure or a dead cranking battery. Up to you in the end.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

I run a cranking batt and a deep cycle on my 4.3 merc. But I also have a big stereo that i dont want to worry about when parked.

Normally I tend to start it on the cranking battery run it till I get to where I'm going so it gets topped up then when I stop I switch to my deep cycle and run off that for the rest of the day. Then that way if we are beached for awhile listening to tunes I know i can always start it back up by flicking the switch

Exactly what I did. On good weekends I'd drain the deep cycle to the point it couldn't even turn on the head unit anymore. Always had the starter though!

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

We only run one cranking battery on our boat and we're running a Merc 90. Never an issue. Save the weight and just make sure you've got a good battery.

Hey, I never even thought about the weight. Great thought. I also like the second battery idea to run the electronics while beached for the day.