Do big boats need to be tied at the transom?

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 29' Express Cruiser has no provisions for tying down the back. I always read things saying that it's critical to tie down the back of boats, but they never mention sizes. Does it matter for a boat this size? And if so, how do you do it?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Do big boats need to be tied at the transom?

do they tie down bull dozers on flat bed trailers. Yes!! it is necessary to secure your load to your trailer. have one come off and kill someone and see who is found negligent.

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

do they tie down bull dozers on flat bed trailers.
Sometimes. The last time I rented one they drove it on, set the brake, and attached a single chain at the front, like a boat. That was it.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you have no provisions for tying down the stern how about a couple of straps across the stern (from left to right) that loop around the trailer frame?

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's possible, they'll just have to be really long and require a couple people to put on. I figured I'd ask just how important it is, before putting effort into it. I see small boats bounce off their trailers when not secured, but not the bigger ones.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

If your 29ft express cruiser comes off the<br />trailer while towing I would say the sheet has already hit the fan.<br /><br />A boat that size with a deep V hull sitting on a trailer is nothing like a bulldozer sitting on top of a flat bed. <br /><br />I've towed my 29ft Chaparral in excess of 12000 miles in and out of La, Ms, Al, and Fl and have never thought about tieing down the rear of the boat. I do use a safty chain on the bow ring along with the winch strap and ill continue to tow this way.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Reel Poor,<br /><br />I disagree. Under normal conditions the straps are not called on to do anything, and in a big accident straps will not keep the boat and trailer from flying around.<br /><br />But, I think there is that large grey area where a sudden stop or swerve would be enough to cause the boat to want to shift. Without the straps a shifting boat will make the incident much worse, maybe making a survivable manuever into a disaster.<br /><br />Think about another type of strap - your seat belt. For 99.9% of the time it does nothing, and there are certainly accidents where it makes no difference. But there are those times when it will make all the difference in the world.<br /><br />If you find it important to wear your seat belt, then shouldn't your boat?

tommays

Admiral

I have found it's more a matter of keeping the trailer hooked to the boat over big bumps when it might shift around in the stern and dammage the boat.<br /><br />I travel over the cross bronx exp. every summer and there is allways at least one suprise spot that the trailer catches some air.<br /><br />you even see big rigs getting wheels air born :eek: <br /><br /><br />tommays

JB

I have seen tiedowns designed for boats that don't have eyes on the transom for the usual hooks.<br /><br />They have a large, rectangular piece. . . sort of like a piece of 2x4 steel tubing cut in half. . .that are plastic coated and "hook" over the top of the transom and with the usual plastic coated hook on the other end. <br /><br />Looked in the MegaMall but didn't see them. I suppose one could modify a conventional set to hook over the transom.<br /><br />Do you need them? With that boat, probably not, but as extra insurance and peace of mind I would tie her down.

tashasdaddy

do you have tow eyes on your stearn? strap from them to the trailer with stearn straps.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

This amounts to another legal and insurance issue. Check your state highway and boating laws regarding securing loads on trucks and trailers. In most states you have a serious legal and insurance problem if involved in an accident with an unsecured load. A bow safety chain does not constitute a secure load. It just makes sense to keep the boat in contact with trailer -- whether or not in an accident. The stern can and will "get some air" and then plop back down on the trailer -- maybe straight/maybe not.

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last fall, I was north of Atlanta on I-75. I came upon an incident that just happened. The first clue was a smoking tire on the shoulder fueling a small grass fire. About 3/8 of a mile later was an SUV and boat trailer parked on the shoulder parallel to the highway. The 24' deck boat was still attached at the bow eye, but the rest of the boat was 90* to the trailer and blocking 2 lanes of the highway.<br /><br /> Transom straps could have reduced expenses to the cost of a new tire!

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Crusty,<br /><br />I-75 north of Atlanta is one I use often. And no - it wasn't me you saw. (Unless you saw an SUV/boat with smoke coming from the transmission - then it was me)<br /><br />Upinsmoke - I had not thought about the insurance question. I would hate to have the insurance company void my coverage due to a missing strap.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dual posting in error - sorry

fondafj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SwampNut,<br /> It is required by most states. I secure mine to the trailer with 2 ratchet straps that attach to the rear cleat and are fastened to the trailer just behind the rear wheel. <br /> On bigger boats it is a matter of keeping the trailer under the boat... not keeping the boat on top of the trailer.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

I use 2 ratchet straps on our 23' Sea Ray when we go from Florida to Maryland or reverse. It only makes sense to keep the boat attached to it's "wheels" in the event of a skid or jacknife - or some idiot out there on the interstate causing a quick reaction. <br />Added advantage is that the straps keep the cover from floppin' around.<br /><br />Having said that, I don't use them locally.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Centsless,<br /><br />Do you have a reference on the web stating the laws for securing a boat? I could not find anything, and it would be nice to have a reference.<br /><br />I want to note that meeting legal requirements adds the concern that insurance could deny a claim. It has no effect on the fact that strapping it down securly is simply a good idea and something you need to do. The law tends to deal with minimums, not common sense.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There was an incident in Minnesota where a semi lost two rolls of flat aluminum (20,000 lb each). A pickup struck one of them and killed both occupants. Improperly secured load and guess who pays. Minnesota even offers a Heavy Haul training course. It's for the construction and heavy haul industry but also for anyone who must secure a load. Even if a state has no specific load securing laws, the courts will not look favorably on neglegence in this regard. Not securing boat of any size falls into that category and is my view should I ever be called for jury duty in such a case. I've seen small fishing boats secured at the bow with clothesline rope on a rusty old trailer with half flat tires and no working lights. But then that person probably had no insurance anyway so you and I would end up paying anyway. So much for mandatory insurance coverage. Sorry for venting on the insurance thing -- its a sore spot with me.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Upinsmoke - <br /><br />I agree with you - go ahead and vent. I was just curious if there were written laws stating that a load (i.e. - boat) needs to be secured with definitions of how strong the securing needs to be.<br /><br />One of the things I have always worried about is how strong the straps/tiedowns are. Yes, my boat is in the 3000# range (minus trailer), but how strong must the straps be? Remember, you are securing against evasive manuvers, accidents, etc.<br /><br />In my example do I need 3000# test straps, 5000#, 10,000#? What are the tie downs on the transom rated for? Do I put a strap on each tiedown only, or do I add a couple on the cleats?<br /><br />I am just not sure. (Of course the question I have is not whether or not to tie down, but how much is needed)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Every state will probably be different regarding loading but one might check with the InterState Commerce Commission since there are likely interstate laws in this regard. I'm guessing, but I would say if you have an object (like a boat) that weighs 3000 pounds, you need a minimum of 3000 lbs worth of tie-downs. One front and two aft or one front and one over the entire stern.