DIY How to build an outboard stand with a 275lbs+ rating

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I struggled to find a decent tutorial online for an outboard stand that fit my engine. In an effort tp help others out, I am creating my own tutorial so perhaps you can easily create one of your own. This all costed me about 100 dollars at Home, but I got a new sturdy stand out of it. This is how I built mine. You can put your own twist on it to adjust to your own needs if necessary.
Happy building!!!

Materials:
Six 2x6x8's
6 casters with around 100lbs rating each
(2 swivel with brakes to attach at one end, 2 swivel without brakes to attach in the middle, 2 non swiveling to attach at the other end?
a box of no less than 60 2.5 inch deck screws
24 1.5 inch screws for the casters
1 decent sized L bracket to lock the steering arm in place
directly behind one of the 30 inch end pieces to create a 12x30 inch platform for your gas can and battery
1. Cut 2 60 inch pieces. These will be your 2 length pieces for the base
2. Cut 5 30 inch pieces. Use 2 of these for your width pieces for the base. Screw all pieces together. If wanted, add another 30 inch piece
3. Flip upside down and attach the 6 casters with the 1.5 inch screws.
4. Cut 2 33inch pieces to create the arms.
5. Attach 2 30 inch pieces to the top of both arms. This will be where you mount the outboard.
6. Cut 2 21 inch pieces and attach them to the front of the 33 inch arm pieces under the 2 30 inch cross pieces. You will now have 4x6 arm atached to a 12x30 mounting plate.
7. Attach arms at 90 degree angle to the base, touching the rear end of the 12x30 base platform.
8. You should have enough wood left over to cut 4 30-48 inch pieces. Make them all the same length and as long as they all can equally possibly be. Screw 2 togther to create 2 4x6 pieces.
9. Saw 45 degree angles into the 4 ends and make sure all pieces are the same length. These are your support braces. Attach them to upper arms and to the base.
10. Mount your motor carefully as centered as posible.
11. attach the L bracket to the end of the steering arm. ( you may need to drill into one of the holes to make it slightly larger to fit the threads through.
for your holes
12. Position the motor as straight as possible, position steering arm to either end of the mounting plate until the bracket touches the plate. Screw in place.
13. Drill your mounting holes into the mounting plate using the mounting brackets on the motor as a template Use the bolts and washers from the boat to mount the motor to the stand

You're done! Easy peasy!
I hope this helps someone!
view_1_97309d7aa2680b7ba043e9185870d2b9988fb214.jpg

view_2_with_view_of_steering_arm_lock_bracket_031c0a069b66da71a91a466135ea7c81db19056b.jpg

view_3_51e4462b20d68f102880ae059a83deb0495b3726.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Vvery similar to:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I built several stands over the years which are quite similar to yours. I would be a bit concerned about side-to-side stability, as the motors are real top heavy. I screwed a side-to-side 2x4, front and back to alleviate this issue. Raise it up off the floor a bit to allow the casters to do their thing. If she tips, the 2X4s will stop it from falling.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have two outboards and a trolling motor on a stand built out of 2x4's

I did have to go to thru-bolts after the deck screws broke

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I built several stands over the years which are quite similar to yours. I would be a bit concerned about side-to-side stability, as the motors are real top heavy. I screwed a side-to-side 2x4, front and back to alleviate this issue. Raise it up off the floor a bit to allow the casters to do their thing. If she tips, the 2X4s will stop it from falling.
I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. Can you show me pics of what you're talking about?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, wiggle the motor side to side and see how the stand responds. I always felt it was too wobbly and screwed some 2x4s front and back across the width of the stand to give it side to side stability.

I do not have any pics as the stand was disassembled after I no longer needed it.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gee, wiggle the motor side to side and see how the stand responds. I always felt it was too wobbly and screwed some 2x4s front and back across the width of the stand to give it side to side stability.

I do not have any pics as the stand was disassembled after I no longer needed it.
I tried running it tonight..... it didn't wiggle or dance at all... seemed pretty sturdy...... didn't get it fully started yet... will try again tomorrow and gauge how much it wants to tip if at all. Motor is about 12 inches wide.. this stand is 30 inches..... it seems ok so far.... but I'll test it