DISAPPEARED

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
after finishing up and putting up tools yesterday, I took a long hard look at one of my favorite tools of all time. Realized that this one I'd been able to hang on to for a few years - largely because I'm no longer in the field. And maybe because it was the first "cheap one" I've owned in my professional career.

A Slag Saw is a unique kind of tool, but easy to make and I've had at least a dozen over the years. I doubt I've ever "forgotten" to pick mine back up - they seem to grow legs or someone didn't return mine before they drug up. I hate a thief..... why can't people buy their own stuff?

What experiences have you had with stuff disappearing? besides your hair!!! :lol::lol:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I usually find the missing item right after I buy a new one.....

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I bought a set of tools from a mechanic who was changing occupations to become an electrician. The set cost me $300 around 1962 which was a lot of money for me those days. Most of the tools were old Plomb wrenches, sockets, etc. Over the years I've lost then 1/2 and 9/16 combination wrenches. I've replaced them with Proto ones but they aren't the same. I still miss the quality of those old Plomb wrenches. They are the Pebble ones.

Also, you can never have too many screwdrivers.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh this is going to really turn out bad, but here goes. A few years ago, I was looking for my chainsaw. Now I usually try to keep everything in top working order so when I need to use it, it is ready. And I had a few trees that I need to be fell and cut up. So I looked and looked and looked some more. I couldn't find that chain saw anywhere. So I called my two adult sons. They like to borrow tools and some times forget who owns then and the keep them. So asked them both if they borrowed the chainsaw. NOPE! were their answers. So after a few days of looking everywhere, I figured I will just buy a new one.

So I purchase a new one a little bigger then the one I used to have. I get it home and oil and gas it up and wow that things ran nice. I cut the trees and was cleaning it up when I spotted the case that I thought was for the new chainsaw. However I opened it up and it was my old chainsaw staring me in the face. It was sitting in the wide open all that time and for some stupid reason, I couldn't see it. BUT, neither could my wife who also help look for it too.

I gave that old chainsaw to my younger son to keep. Maybe I won't loose the new one. Old age does have its issues! :facepalm:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I bought a set of tools from a mechanic who was changing occupations to become an electrician. The set cost me $300 around 1962 which was a lot of money for me those days. Most of the tools were old Plomb wrenches, sockets, etc. Over the years I've lost then 1/2 and 9/16 combination wrenches. I've replaced them with Proto ones but they aren't the same. I still miss the quality of those old Plomb wrenches. They are the Pebble ones.

You can't have too many 1/2s and 9/16s........... :)

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade

gm280 thought you meant "two" many chainsaws! :lol: Sorry about your luck lol. It happens, and not just with old age. However, with age, there's seems to be more on our minds. And the frequency with what happens can sometimes increase. And more stuff equals more to keep track of.

I'm starting to think that those "Golden Years" are looking more and more like those "Pyrite(n) Years" :pound::pound:

dwco5051

Commander
gm280 thought you meant "two" many chainsaws! :lol: Sorry about your luck lol. It happens, and not just with old age. However, with age, there's seems to be more on our minds. And the frequency with what happens can sometimes increase. And more stuff equals more to keep track of.

I'm starting to think that those "Golden Years" are looking more and more like those "Pyrite(n) Years" :pound::pound:

At my age two chainsaws are not too many. At least a couple of times a year I need the second one to free the first one that I have pinched tight when I am in an area that I can't reach with equipment :mad-new:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It seems like "time" disappears faster than anything; and there's some of it I don't want back!! lol

thumpar

Admiral
When you have a son that likes to look with his hands you lose a lot of tools. He once dumped my 3/8th" socket tray in the lawn that included both SAE and metric 12 point, 6 point and deep well. It took forever to find them all in the grass and then get them all in the correct spots in the tray.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
When you have a son that likes to look with his hands you lose a lot of tools. He once dumped my 3/8th" socket tray in the lawn that included both SAE and metric 12 point, 6 point and deep well. It took forever to find them all in the grass and then get them all in the correct spots in the tray.
sounds familiar... and not a fun time. Time to get out a magnet, I know from experience :) and those trays are better than a jigsaw puzzle!

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class
how bout the long black funnel...?the one used to top off tranny fluid. I know I have one. I know where I keep it. I don't loan it out... yet the few times I need it it done ran off. yet I'll find it weeks later looking for oh... say my crowbar. which ran and hid, which I found while looking for.......

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
no matter what we are searching for, it's usually in the last place we look. If I keep on looking after I've found it, I'd better call 911 and book a room at the Ha Ha Hotel - the life I save may be my own!!!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I ask my wife to come look. I decribe whatever it is should look like she usually finds it.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
was working 3/12's weekend shift and mailed the bills on a Tuesday. Hot tired and ready for the shower, no water :mad: The short story, the meter and ten inches of pipe were gone. WTH? guess the crack addicts were desperate???????????????????

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm not sure that I should admit this but years ago, before I had the age card to use, I was looking for something I was just using. I sorted through all kinds of things that I was just handling and some others. All kinds of things were moved and looked under.

I finally found it. It was in my other hand.;):clock::help:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I'm not sure that I should admit this but years ago, before I had the age card to use, I was looking for something I was just using. I sorted through all kinds of things that I was just handling and some others. All kinds of things were moved and looked under.

I finally found it. It was in my other hand.;):clock::help:
Im doing a pretty big house project and ive done that several times looking for the dam screw i need only to realize it is in my mouth

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
How about when looking for your glasses, and people are looking at the top of your head... DOH!