Dilemma

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, usually my wife and I store our boat at Lake Cumberland for the summer and then tow back before winter and store at home in a pole barn. We are having a dilemma this year.

We live in Columbus, Ohio and Lake Cumberland is about 5.5 hours away. We absolutely love LC, its out favorite destination on the water. The lake is very large (in length) and we always find fun stuff to do there. We've been going for 12+ years straight.

Here's the deal though, this year we want to use the Boat more. We normally get down there around 4-5 times per season. We have three little lakes near our home all within 45 minute driving time. :confused:

If we keep the boat here, we will be able to hopefully use it more. Just by nature of life, i.e., work, family, etc, we simply can't get down to LC every weekend since it is 5.5hours away whereas we could take a Saturday and go to Buckeye Lake, Alumn Creek, etc which are all near our home.

I've already tried to get her to move to Cincinnati Ohio which would only be 2.5 hours away from the Lake, its a no go.

The thing is, I'm trying to figure out whether the 4 times per year we make it down to LC for 3-4 days per trip is better than using the boat all summer long sporadically.

Any thoughts or commentary?

1fst690

Cadet
Re: Dilemma

My wife and I are in the same boat (no pun intended) with our sand toys. It is a 4.5 hr haul to the coast for sand riding. What we did was bought a boat so we could get out on our local lake (which is very small and not crowded) because we cant go to the coast as much as we used to. I have to say that being able to stay closer to home and still have weekend recreation is a huge plus. I get cranky if I dont get to relax and recreate and being able to load up and head for the lake on short notice gives me the same satisfaction as riding in the sand. I say leave it at home and try it. If you dont use it as much as you think you would then you can haul down to the other lake for a long weekend and leave it there. nothing ventured nothing gained

eastont

Chief Petty Officer

I figure there are about 25 weekends each summer, so to only use the boat for 4-5 times is a waste. Our boat is about 10 miles away and we will be on it 25 weekends this year. That's why I have a boat.

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class

I figure there are about 25 weekends each summer, so to only use the boat for 4-5 times is a waste. Our boat is about 10 miles away and we will be on it 25 weekends this year. That's why I have a boat.

Well, that's my point in posting this. As long as I live an hour away or more from a lake I will not likely be able to use a boat every single weekend during the summer. When we go to cumbrland we are on the boat for more than 12 hours a day for 3-4 days in a row, we try and get as much use out of it is as we can.

I probably will leave it here this summer and try to use it more. There may be somethin to be said for the anticipation of being on Cumberland for long weekends. If you've never seen this lake, good it and check out some photos, its pretty neat.

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Can you not have it at home and still use it the smae amout of time on Cumberland? You would make the drive anyway so just trailer it there. That way you use it close and use it far.
You do not have to have all or nothing do you.

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you not have it at home and still use it the smae amout of time on Cumberland? You would make the drive anyway so just trailer it there. That way you use it close and use it far.
You do not have to have all or nothing do you.

Yea, I think your right. I just don't like to tow a boat 5.5 hours. Thanks for the input!!!

scipper77

Commander

The whole premise here is rediculous to me. 5.5 hours just to get to the boat!! I am lucky enough to live on the shore of lake Ontario, and near the finger lakes as well as many other lakes so maybe I just can't grasp your situation. Are the lakes near you that bad?? most of my outings last as long as it takes you to get to your boat.

My advice is you absolutely have to trailer your boat next season. That way you will know what situation "you" prefer. You will never know if you don't try it.

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class

The whole premise here is rediculous to me. 5.5 hours just to get to the boat!! I am lucky enough to live on the shore of lake Ontario, and near the finger lakes as well as many other lakes so maybe I just can't grasp your situation. Are the lakes near you that bad?? most of my outings last as long as it takes you to get to your boat.

My advice is you absolutely have to trailer your boat next season. That way you will know what situation "you" prefer. You will never know if you don't try it.

Well, I don't know if I would go as far as "rediculous." The lakes around me are very small. It takes about 15-20 minutes to navigate the entire length of the lake, they are about 10 feet deep on average.

I could go up to lake erie but IMO, you are limited on how far you go due to the fact that the lake can go from calm to 5 foot swells in a matter of 30 minutes and you might not be able to get in when you hear the small craft warning. A 20 foot boats simply not a good idea.

The best lake I have ever navigated is Lake Cumberland. Its huge, never bad weather (almost never), never really crowded becuase of its size, water is clear and clean, there are hundreds of coves and areas, a lot of history (including civil war battlefields), and the shores aren't cluttered with houses and bars.

But again, 5.5 hours.......

Here's some photos on why we go there and drive the 5.5 hours:

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 0
  • C5.jpg
    C5.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 0
  • C3.jpg
    C3.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
  • C1.JPG
    C1.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 0
  • C6.jpg
    C6.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0

Jobless Recovery

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm with Stubbsboogie: Just keep your boat with you. I know you don't really care to trailer it 5.5 hours each time you go to LC but LC is definitely worth the hassle. The Photos are breathing.

PS How long would it take me to drive there from Southern California ??? Hahaha

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Keep the boat at home and use it more often. It's better for the boat and it's better for you and your family. If you're only going to Lake Cumberland 4 or 5 times per season, then the extra expense of towing probably isn't going to be any or much more than slip/mooring expenses. I understand you're not wanting to tow the boat every time you go; but why not try it this season, see how much more you use the boat. See how much more pleasure you get out of having your boat. You'll be able to make your decision based upon your experience, as opposed to only the opinions of others. Be on the boat more?... No Brainer;)... But that's just my opinion:D.
Please let us know what you decide.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If it was me I'd keep it on a trailer close to home. Alum and Buckeye are NOTHING like the lakes in KY, but any time on the water is well spent.

We lived in central KY for 6 years before moving to Lake of the Ozarks. IMHO it's some of the best freshwater boating in the country. Cumberland is great, but there are several nice lakes in that part of the country. We actually liked Dale Hollow better than Cumberland, but some of the smaller lakes (Nolin, Rough, Green, etc.) are also worth going to. You'll run into lots of fellow members of the "Ohio Navy" wherever you go. When you do make the trip, give some of the other KY lakes a try; you won't be dissapointed.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

You tow it 5.5 hours a couple times and soon you won't even realize it's back there.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Yeah I don't get it but then I tow to Powell hopefully 2 times a year and thats a 8-10 hour drive towing. This is a no brainer bring the boat with you, after a couple times it will become routine

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks to all of you, I was curious about what others do. I would love to be on the Ozarks!

I think at this point we are going to tow back and forth this year! I want to do more boating this year.

Thanks again!

outdoorsman10

Seaman

Any way you could move Lake Cumberland to Saskatchewan? That REALLY IS a beautiful place, but I'd keep the boat with me. As a rule of thumb, every hour of driving = 1 day at said destination rounding up to the next day. So if you're only spending 3-4 days there after driving for 5.5 hours, you're short-changing yourself on fun.

JBow

Seaman Apprentice

Ok OK I got a plan.... just buy another boat !

scipper77

Commander

In all seriousness if the local waters are just glorified ponds then why not buy a little puddle jumper. I don't know how your wife would feel about that but i little 16' aluminum boat with an outboard would be fun to storm around in for me. My brother in law has a 12 or 14 footer for small bays and a canoe for ponds and we have just as much fun in those (fishing of course) as we do in my open bow on the bigger water.

Small aluminums with outboards are great for other reasons as well. You can trailer them with a compact car, there is practically no maintenance, and the gas cost is negligible. A 6 gal tank can last several outings on some set ups. My BIL's 14 footer with a 4.5hp evinrude makes it more like a whole season on 6 gallons.

TilliamWe

Banned

Other than leaving Columbus, which would be the BEST thing you could do, keeping the boat at home and using it more often is the way to go.