Different Bravo 1 Shafts?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I suspect that former owner mixed and matched parts that would work on Alphas to Bravos in order to save $$$. Attached are photos of main drive input shafts. One has 4 O-rings, while the other 2 0-rings. The 2 o-ring shaft fit a later style Alpha coupler that had a longer snout with a grease fitting. Unfortunately, the lack of the 2 forward O-rings will allow spline grease to back out of coupler snout. The 4 o-ring shaft fit an older Alpha coupler that didn't have grease fitting or long snout. So the 2 forward O-rings seemed useless with that short coupler? I have since replaced the older Alpha coupler with the newer style. Rick helped identify that the older style coupler may have warped due to rotten transom fatigue. (I couldn't get spline tool to align motor correctly.) Nonetheless, should I remove the 2 forward O-rings? Do they really matter since I routinely maintain motors/ods? The threads on both couplers match both splines.

Attachments

• photo330840.jpg
    photo330840.jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo330841.jpg
    photo330841.jpg
    929 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
there are only 3 O rings . 2 for the gimbal bearing and 1 for the inputshaft. As long as the lengths are identical the shafts dont matter. If your pulling the drives for service and greasing the splines by hand at install theres no need to grease with the grease fitting
The input shaft numbers for alpha and bravo are different, might be due to heavier U joints

Last edited: