dies when I drop the throttle where to start

becon776

Cadet
hey everyone. Just bought my second boat. it's a 1990 VIP 24' cuddy. Omc Cobra drive (rebuilt last year) powered by a GM 5.7 liter with four barrel holley. Since the boat is new to me I am working the bugs out. When it's running it runs smooth smooth smooth.
recently replaced the starter (which left me stranded), then had to run a line from the ign switch right to the coil because the main harness wasn't getting juice the marine stranding device worked again that time lol...

Anyway here is my problem.... this thing starts now better then any boat I have seen. idles nice. In neutral I can rev till my hearts content and it growls nicely. get underway and idles forward fine, shifts fine..... push the throttle forward to get to planing speed (usually wot for the deep v then I throttle back after planed) and COUGH spit and wants to stall. It did stall once. starts right back up and plays nice at idle. It has only done this yesterday and haven't tried it since.
additional background.... before this happened it got some rain with canvas off. also I previously talked with the local shop that had serviced this boat previously and they said it passed compression test with flying colors. thoughts?
I am going to try her out again tommorow since we've had some solid days of sun in case water played a part. but it seems fuel related.
sincerely,
running out of $$

becon776

Cadet
Re: dies when I drop the throttle where to start

anyone? going once... going twice?? basically engine dies when throttled past idle when under power.

Bondo

Staff member

basically engine dies when throttled past idle when under power.

Ayuh,... You have a Fuel Delivery issue,.... Rebuild the Carb...

libellav15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

carb rebuilt

mmmm.....by you or the previous owner??

previous owner was keen to sell remember - take anything he/she says with a pinch of salt ;)

as BondO says - thats your problem - clean/rebuild carb - check fuel in tank for integrity - and change all filters an water seperator

and hey - if its not the problem and it turns out to be ignition at least you will have eliminated fuel issues - and its only half a days work for peace of mind :)

good luck bud

adam

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hey everyone. Just bought my second boat. it's a 1990 VIP 24' cuddy. Omc Cobra drive (rebuilt last year) powered by a GM 5.7 liter with four barrel holley. Since the boat is new to me I am working the bugs out. When it's running it runs smooth smooth smooth.
recently replaced the starter (which left me stranded), then had to run a line from the ign switch right to the coil because the main harness wasn't getting juice the marine stranding device worked again that time lol...

Anyway here is my problem.... this thing starts now better then any boat I have seen. idles nice. In neutral I can rev till my hearts content and it growls nicely. get underway and idles forward fine, shifts fine..... push the throttle forward to get to planing speed (usually wot for the deep v then I throttle back after planed) and COUGH spit and wants to stall. It did stall once. starts right back up and plays nice at idle. It has only done this yesterday and haven't tried it since.
additional background.... before this happened it got some rain with canvas off. also I previously talked with the local shop that had serviced this boat previously and they said it passed compression test with flying colors. thoughts?
I am going to try her out again tommorow since we've had some solid days of sun in case water played a part. but it seems fuel related.
sincerely,
running out of $$

If it has points, check the gap and of course the points themselves. I think its really a fuel problem. First change the fuel filter unless you know for sure its pretty new. then you need to look at the carb even if it was rebuilt. Maybe it wasn't done correctly and least of all it needs an adjustment.

becon776

Cadet

update:
thanks for all resposes. Took it out. ran great, 50 mph for half hour... go to the channel to enter L.Ontario idled thru then prob repeats. I had burned thru 95% of gas at that point.
change separator/ filter, refill with ethanol free gas. start on muffs. perfect start, perfect rev, perfect idle. 15 minutes later rev die, will not restart. Try putting gas down throat of carb to no avail. wait half hour... starts revs idles perfect.

bring to local marine mech who thought of fuel issue repeated my steps after running on muffs for forty minutes to recreate issue. dump gas in carb nope... non fuel issue... check coils... bad when hot. not producing sufficient current at temp fine when cold. replaced coil. unable to recreate issue. p.s. Of course I am being charged full labor for the time spent on the muffs.
I pick up and launch today. I will let everyone know. Does the bad coil diagnosis sound right for my above symptoms?