Dexcool or ?

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for all the opinions and recommendations guys!

Just to be factual, even the Crusaders manual does not recommend Dexcool exclusively.

"The fresh water cooling side of the cooling system, must be filled with a 50/50 mixture of Dexcool [or equivalent which meets GM6277M] extended life antifreeze and water solution."

Happy holidays to all! :)

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Here is an interesting read. Interestingly, the two issues I had with intake gaskets, were both the GM 3800, with Dexcool in them. One a 96 and the other an 03, the same year as our Cruisers.

http://www.dex-cool.net/

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Here is an interesting read. Interestingly, the two issues I had with intake gaskets, were both the GM 3800, with Dexcool in them. One a 96 and the other an 03, the same year as our Cruisers.

http://www.dex-cool.net/
Yep, was determined it was bad gasket material. When they redesigned the gaskets, they no longer had the issues. They realized that it didn't matter what type of coolant that was in there that the gaskets would have failed. GM had a lot of problems with that engine yet didn't have the same failure on other engines that used the same DexCool. My parents had the same 3800 engine in an Oldsmobile and never had an intake manifold problem but my dad would change his antifreeze fairly often.

Your 8.1 would never have the same issue since it doesn't have a coolant passage in your intake manifold.

BTW, Ford and Dodge use almost the exact same coolant and you probably have it in your Ford 6.8, or you should. It is an HOAT type coolant which is almost exactly the same as the DexCool spec'd fluid. Their fluid is spec G-05.

I would call Crusader up and see what they recommend. Can't get any better recommendation than them.

Last edited:

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Yep, was determined it was bad gasket material. When they redesigned the gaskets, they no longer had the issues. They realized that it didn't matter what type of coolant that was in there that the gaskets would have failed. GM had a lot of problems with that engine yet didn't have the same failure on other engines that used the same DexCool. My parents had the same 3800 engine in an Oldsmobile and never had an intake manifold problem but my dad would change his antifreeze fairly often.

Your 8.1 would never have the same issue since it doesn't have a coolant passage in your intake manifold.

BTW, Ford and Dodge use almost the exact same coolant and you probably have it in your Ford 6.8, or you should. It is an HOAT type coolant which is almost exactly the same as the DexCool spec'd fluid. Their fluid is spec G-05.

I would call Crusader up and see what they recommend. Can't get any better recommendation than them.

Your conclusions from that article, are vastly different than the authors. Obviously, you did not read the article in its entirety, or you simply refuse to accept them. Oh well...

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Like many folks, I too previously got nailed with blown GM intake gaskets. Was it the Dexcool (deathcool) coolant or was it bad gaskets? They replaced gaskets and it was a different material. Interesting.... After new material gasket install, my vehicle using Dexcool never had problems again. And, my new dozen GMs using Dexcool since then don't have problems either. Based on patterns, it was their previous faulty gasket material (that Dexcool loved to eat). Long mumblings short... I'd use Dexcool replacement - if that's what is recommended.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
It isn't the gaskets I'm worried about. It's rust and sludge contamination. It is well documented that eventually, [in many cases well before the supposed 5 year service life] Dexcools corrosion inhibitors break down, and causes rust and sludge build up. Air in the system accelerates this process. Other coolants don't have this same issue.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I had a 2003 Chevy Duramax and the antifreeze began looking different in the overflow at about 4 years (close to 100.000 miles for me. I took it in and had it flushed and new put in. They admitted that air had gotten in with the DexCool. I ran it for 186.000 miles and traded it in for my present 2015 Chevy Duramax. The new recovery (overflow) tank is different. It seems to have a baffle inside that separates the air from the fluid. We'll see.

I think that the antifreeze should be changed more often. Two years is probably the best for all types and will probably prevent future cooling system problems for all of them. The increased usage of aluminum alloys seems to be the problem for coolants. However, it sure keeps the diesel's oil clean.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Good video.

Bottom line. Call Crusader and ask them what they recommend.

With Crusader being a GM based engine, suspect I know the answer already, but I will do that in the new year. ;)

GM or Crusader have never manufactured antifreeze. GM pays someone else. [Used to be Texeco, not sure if it still is] Does this mean someone else cannot come up with a better formula? Not a chance...

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
GM or Crusader have never manufactured antifreeze. GM pays someone else. [Used to be Texeco, not sure if it still is] Does this mean someone else cannot come up with a better formula? Not a chance...
I use the Prestone or Valvoline antifreeze that meets the spec. Same goes for your Ford truck engine. You just need the antifreeze that meets the Ford G-05 spec.

Last edited:

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
I use the Prestone or Valvoline antifreeze that meets the spec. Same goes for your Ford truck engine. You just need the antifreeze that meets the Ford G-05 spec.

I switched both my GM car and my Ford truck to Prestone "mixes with all" about 3 years ago. A complete flush with fresh water 2-3 times, and then fresh Prestone. Neither one has had any coolant issues since then. ;)

But like you suggested, I will call Crusaders for their recommendation. Who knows... maybe it has changed since those manuals were printed.