Depth finder location/photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys i have been switching between all different kinds of depthfinders and location for mounting. Finally settled on a Lowrance elite-4. Since this unit has GPS and is on the small side (4") and it has gps - that i would definitely want it on the drivers side of the glass - previously i was planning on having a 5'' screen on the bow side of glass for while up their fishing but viewable while driving when spun.

It is going to be installed by the dealer so i can't quite check it out/play withit when i get it, type deal. And dealer is a bit of a drive...

Curious if anyone had any photos of their finder - with a ram mount in that area? How do you like it? Able to spin and view from bow? Was thinking of putting ram on the warning stickers up from the throttle. or just at the top of the dash on the far right.

Tahoe Q5 SF 2012

whmoore18

Seaman
Re: Depth finder location/photos?

I got a tahoe 215cc we got the elite-5 with nautic sight put on there it hasnt been delivered yet but I told them to mount in infront of the passenger seat behind the center console so I can look over to it while driving

whmoore18

Seaman

I'll get you pictures in the coming weeks buddy once they rig it all up on there

hpeeler

Seaman Apprentice

In my Q6 I put the RAM mount in the cup holder. There are 2 more cup holders right behind the seat if I need one. I really like where it's mounted as it's out of the way of the shifter and all of the gauges are visible. The only thing I wish I would've done differently is to mount the transducer in the bilge instead of drilling through the transom.IMG_6450.jpg

Robak

Recruit

New guy here :) I have a 2011 Q4 and had the same predicament. I ended up making a base out of Delrin that fits into the cup holder. Used the original mounting bracket that came with the Lowrance Elite 5G. Here it is, enjoy...
2012-03-18132723.jpg

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

BOAT Pickup 2012-04-14 016 (2) (400x287).jpg

Well here is how it shook out. The RAM that was used is a little heavy duty/big for it.... 1.5" ball vs 1"

Works out just about perfect IMO right there. Can pretty easily turn to have it viewable from the front of the boat if needed. Only blocks view of oil gauge slightly. Don't know if the Elite-5 would have worked as well in the spot due to size.

Whitey72

Seaman Apprentice

hpeeler,
Your mounting in the cup holder with a ram is exactly what I'd like to do with a Lowrance Elite 5. Can you please take another photo of the base of the ram in the cupholder and add it to the thread? Did you screw it straight to the bottom of the cupholder or did you raise it up a bit. I have a 2006 q4 and guess my cupholder is the same as yours but it just looks a bit higher. Do you have any trouble with the ram adjusting nut catching on the side of the cup holder?
Cheers from Australia,
Whitey

hpeeler

Seaman Apprentice

hpeeler,
Your mounting in the cup holder with a ram is exactly what I'd like to do with a Lowrance Elite 5. Can you please take another photo of the base of the ram in the cupholder and add it to the thread? Did you screw it straight to the bottom of the cupholder or did you raise it up a bit. I have a 2006 q4 and guess my cupholder is the same as yours but it just looks a bit higher. Do you have any trouble with the ram adjusting nut catching on the side of the cup holder?
Cheers from Australia,

Whitey

I'll try to get a picture next time I am in the boat. But what I did was use a hole saw to cut a piece of 1/4" plywood that sit on the lip of the cup holder that's about half way down. I glued it in place and mounted the ram on top of the plywood so that it sits up a little. I had to drill a hole in the side of the cup holder to feed the wire through. Pretty simple set up.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also i believe on RAM's website they have different models of mounts - some that are 'cupholder' mounts. Although i don't know if they are nice low profile styles like hpeeler's.

that setup would be sweet if you weren't concerned about viewing from front platform. since with my setup you can't use the cupholder very easy anyhow. at least not for a bottle of brew.

Whitey72

Seaman Apprentice

hpeeler, thanks for the reply.

Boatdrinks above has raised a good point, can you see you sounder when it's spun around alright from the front seat when fitted if up there fishing? Also is your ram mount the normal height one and not the shorter version. Thanks for the explaination re the ply you fitted into the cup holder as I couldn't work that out by looking at it.

I currently have my elite 5 fitted like Robak (reply after your first) which is great while driving or at the back platform, but hopeless if I want to sneak up using the electric up front, hence my desire to change.
Cheers Whitey

hpeeler

Seaman Apprentice

hpeeler, thanks for the reply.

Boatdrinks above has raised a good point, can you see you sounder when it's spun around alright from the front seat when fitted if up there fishing? Also is your ram mount the normal height one and not the shorter version. Thanks for the explaination re the ply you fitted into the cup holder as I couldn't work that out by looking at it.

I currently have my elite 5 fitted like Robak (reply after your first) which is great while driving or at the back platform, but hopeless if I want to sneak up using the electric up front, hence my desire to change.
Cheers Whitey

I've never tried to spin it around to see it from the front since we don't fish out of ours. We only use the garmin for gps and depth. I think you can get taller ram mounts that would make it possible to see I'm sure and I think your elite 5 has a bigger screen than mine so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

will2kz

Seaman Apprentice

photo.jpg

This is a smaller Humminbird with lots of features. I don't need a big screen here as I am sitting right next to it. I wanted GPS and maps while driving so I would know where on the lake I was and in finding waypoints. This is a 385 combo. I am also working to mount a cheaper 322? up front to my Terrova troller with its own sonar in it. I should be able to see fish at the front and back of the boat now. With these two units I can swap them back and forth on the same mount if I want to. Having two setup like this definitely solves the problem of not seeing a unit mounted at the drivers helm, but it can be expensive if you want new. I bought the second Humminbird headunit as a dealer throw away for cheap. The terrova wasn't cheap but it is an amazing piece of equipment. GPS built into the troller means it will get you to your waypoints and remember paths. I've just begun to play with this setup. I will post pics of the whole setup when I get it like I like it.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Off topic I noticed Hpeelers boat has a capacity of 9 people @1700lbs. Thats the same as my Q7i however will2kz must have a boat made for children as it holds 12 people but only 1800 lbs ????

will2kz

Seaman Apprentice

I put a scale on the dock. If you're more than 150 you're not getting on the boat.....:)

1800 is for people and stuff. The 215 and 216 are rated for 12 people because there are places to put them, although yes, many will have to be small. However I wanted the "12 person" capacity to accommodate lots of kiddos. I wanted a 3 family boat and the 195 and q5, q7 etc are all 2 family boats. I'll let you know how tube pulling goes with three families, found a 5.0 MPI engine, so its as strong as the boat allows.

Johnnyg007

Recruit

New guy here :) I have a 2011 Q4 and had the same predicament. I ended up making a base out of Delrin that fits into the cup holder. Used the original mounting bracket that came with the Lowrance Elite 5G. Here it is, enjoy...
2012-03-18132723.jpg
What size is that fish finder? I am waiting the arrival of my 2021 deck boat and want to get a Lowrance HS 7 live. Not sure the dash has a ton of room, so might be a tight fit and might be too large on the center of the dash? What year is your boat and size of depth finder?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What size is that fish finder? I am waiting the arrival of my 2021 deck boat and want to get a Lowrance HS 7 live. Not sure the dash has a ton of room, so might be a tight fit and might be too large on the center of the dash? What year is your boat and size of depth finder?
9 years ago he wrote one post and you want him to answer questions. Sorry - Ain't gonna happen.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.