Dented pontoon log with tear

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Work out a cash settlement and have it fixed.
It won't be cosmetically perfect, but it beats having it totaled and starting your search all over again.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Another thought hit me; have the welding shop do a complete check over. (Or do yourself)
Check to see if the impact caused any other structural damage such as in the framework between sponsons. Check to be sure sponsons are parallel and square to each other, no buckling, tears etc. I’d assume the deck would maintain alignment but I’d be sure of this before undertaking any repairs so you aren’t throwing good money at bad.

ahicks

Captain
Some insurance companies won't allow a "buy-back". They say they are under contract with a salvage company, and it's not up for further discussion.

That said, the Elkhart Ind. area is one of the biggest pontoon manufacturing areas there are in the country. I would think that if that's not too far, you might want to do some poking around there. If the right welder fixes your project, I would have no trouble trusting the repair for the life of the boat.

Last thought, when it comes to boat upholstery, unless it's been carefully covered when not in use, and stored indoors off season, that vinyl is getting to the age where it's going to start showing it's age soon, no matter how careful you are with it. Having it redone, and replacing the carpet to reset the clock, could be about what you've paid for the boat....

b.lee

Seaman Apprentice
Where you at in Ohio?
This might be worth a phone call and possibly a drive up

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you want it fixed " yesterday " you have to pay.------If you have time to look around / search / compare / do it yourself you can save a lot of beer tokens.

Bghtapontoon

Cadet
I'm in the Cleveland area. Unfortuantely I'm in a crunch to get estimates to the guys insurance company that hit it.