Dented pontoon log with tear

Bghtapontoon

Cadet
Well I was a happy first time pontoon owner for about 8 hours until a car hit my 2002 22ft Sweetwater back end left log and trailer parked in front of the house on its way to the marina. The driver has taken full liability, and I'm working with his insurance. I still want the boat, scars and all..but its not water worthy with the dent and hole. I took it to the marina, and they told me to salavge it because of it's age, and they say theres no parts for 2002 models any longer. Does anyone think this is a salvagable repair? It was a well maintained boat...

Attachments

• 293704033_5216143518504460_7162125400314302553_n.jpg
    293704033_5216143518504460_7162125400314302553_n.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 293816212_5216143565171122_8369481773222906908_n.jpg
    293816212_5216143565171122_8369481773222906908_n.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Cara Salupo Pontoon Damage.jpeg
    Cara Salupo Pontoon Damage.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20220723-115308_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220723-115308_Gallery.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 32
  • Resized_20220715_073819.jpeg
    Resized_20220715_073819.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 31

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Anything man made can be remade. However the cost to repair will be more than it's value

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Hurry to a local airport.-----Find somebody that will cut out the damaged bits.-----Make new bits and weld them in. -----Not hard in my opinion.

Bghtapontoon

Cadet
Just hate to give up and salvage it before I even got on the lake. I've really been given no other options from the marina. Has anyone gotten something in this condition and had it welded?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You just have to sit and look at it.----Come up with a plan.------Buddy bought a 33" sail boat years ago.----Had a bulkhead that was rotten at the bottom.------He cut out the bottom part and epoxied in a new piece.-----One afternoon of work.-----Previous owner looked at it before it was trucked away.-----Said --" wow, I was quoted $3000 to repair / replace the bulk head " -----I never had any concerns sailing on it in 8' waves.

Bghtapontoon

Cadet
Good point racerone. Honestly just want to be out on the water...safely. Don't even know how to quote the insurance company at this point. I have received mainly opinions as stated above, that attempting a repair would be more than its worth. I honestly struggle to let it go insurance salavage for someone elses steal of a deal.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Good point racerone. Honestly just want to be out on the water...safely. Don't even know how to quote the insurance company at this point. I have received mainly opinions as stated above, that attempting a repair would be more than its worth. I honestly struggle to let it go insurance salavage for someone elses steal of a deal.
You may or may not have an option depending on your insurance company and your policy

Bghtapontoon

Cadet
I'm dealing with the guys insurance that took fault for it....Allstate. Have yet to give them a quote other than the jd powers value the marina provided to total it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Can you see making a " hat " to fit over the damaged end of this pontoon.----Weld that on.----Hide the damage.---- and go enjoy this boat.-----Know of a shop 3 hrs from me that would not hesitate to repair that type of damage !!

flashback

Captain
If it were mine I would find a good welder and have him patch it. It requires experience and a good welder would have no problem..

Bghtapontoon

Cadet
Can you see making a " hat " to fit over the damaged end of this pontoon.----Weld that on.----Hide the damage.---- and go enjoy this boat.-----Know of a shop 3 hrs from me that would not hesitate to repair that type of damage !!
If you live in Ohio, I'd love to know that shop! Honestly this is what I want to hear..some hope in a completely "freak accident" situation as a new boat owner.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not in Ohio.-----But call a few dealers that sell pontoon boats.---I know there are lots of them in and around Ohio / Michigan.-----Somebody will know of a little shop that does " simple " repair / fabrication.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I learned how to weld aluminum ( TIG ) about 40 years ago.-----I see no issue in repairing that.-----But I think the opinion from your shop is based on making the repair invisible and looking the way it left the factory.-----A new pontoon or used pontoon / section of pontoon is also an option.

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you live in Ohio, I'd love to know that shop! Honestly this is what I want to hear..some hope in a completely "freak accident" situation as a new boat owner.
Two fellows around Buckeye Lake Ohio that have good reviews. Go to Facebook Buckeye Lake boaters and friends and ask.

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another thought. If insurance company totals it can you buy it back like totaled autos? Then have repaired and salvage title.

Bghtapontoon

Cadet
Another thought. If insurance company totals it can you buy it back like totaled autos? Then have repaired and salvage title.
Great advice. Honestly appreciate it.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Well I was a happy first time pontoon owner for about 8 hours until a car hit my 2002 22ft Sweetwater back end left log and trailer parked in front of the house on its way to the marina. The driver has taken full liability, and I'm working with his insurance. I still want the boat, scars and all..but its not water worthy with the dent and hole. I took it to the marina, and they told me to salavge it because of it's age, and they say theres no parts for 2002 models any longer. Does anyone think this is a salvagable repair? It was a well maintained boat...
Any competent welding shop who is set up for aluminum will be able to do that. Shouldn’t cost you more than $1-2k and that’s without seeing it. In my area (Ontario, Canada) so likely half that cost in Ohio. I’d cut off the end bell, straighten and or/section and put the bell back on. Anything questionable would get a .100” thick 5052 rolled aluminum plate welded over it 100%. Easy fix. Don’t let the insurance co screw you. You won’t be able to replace it for what they will offer. Pontoons up here start at $10k for total beaters

Bghtapontoon

Cadet
Any competent welding shop who is set up for aluminum will be able to do that. Shouldn’t cost you more than $1-2k and that’s without seeing it. In my area (Ontario, Canada) so likely half that cost in Ohio. I’d cut off the end bell, straighten and or/section and put the bell back on. Anything questionable would get a .100” thick 5052 rolled aluminum plate welded over it 100%. Easy fix. Don’t let the insurance co screw you. You won’t be able to replace it for what they will offer. Pontoons up here start at $10k for total beaters

Bghtapontoon

Cadet
Based on all the help this forum has given me, I'm going to look into welding repair shops instead of the marina that seems to look down and want to write off older boats. Just wanted to econmically enjoy an inland lake in a state that really only allows a couple months seasonly to enjoy this hobby. I searched private sellers on facebook and boat trader, and lost a lot of great boats to trolling dealers that jump on personal sellers as soon as they're posted. This was perfect...older man, well mainatined, solid floor, no rips or tears in vinyl seats or carpet, 90H Johnson, 2017 trailer, ski tow bar, safety gear and extra vests.. $8k. A guy hits it with a car within hours of my owning it while its parked. Just a nightmare I can't wait to solve. Thank you for all your help 100%.