Dent in brand new boat

cayman drew

Cadet
Hey guys,

I'm curious as to how you all would go about this. I bought this 2012 H210 last week and yesterday was getting the anchor in, bumpers, gear, etc on a dry rack and took some pictures. Last night while looking at the pictures I realized there is a small dent on the stern port side. It's really not big enough to warrant swapping out the boat, should I asked for it to be fixed? Is it worth the time? What would you do?

H210Siderear_zps821481ad.jpg

dent_zps3d18936f.jpg

Attachments

• AVA_2758.jpg
    AVA_2758.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 0
  • dent.jpg
    dent.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 0

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Re: Dent in brand new boat

if it is new and you did not take it out on the water they must fix or replace entire boat if it is used and it was on stands when you bought it you would have noticed it and they did something to it and i would expect it fixed

littlerayray

Lieutenant

i would make them fix it and if they dont i would call the manufacturer let them know the situation i had a larson dealer lose his larson license because he brushed me away like a bug because he thought i was "wasting his time" when i was a seriouse and potential buyer

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

I would repair it, if for no other reason the boat is in pristine condition otherwise. If you have never done gelcoat repairs, then have someone else do it for you. You will learn by watching the process. Small dings like the one shown in your picture are the normal consequence of hazards encountered between pulling the hull from the mold and final customer delivery. It would be difficult to assess any blame for it, but repairing the flaw should be the responsibility of the selling dealer as routine practice, required by the manufacturer in most instances, and as a matter providing customer satisfaction. Ask nicely and I'm sure they'll take care of it.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

new boat? they are fixing it period.

also a good dealer should know they are fixing it without you asking, if they don't then you know what kind of dealer you have.

agallant80

Commander

I don't think you will get very far trying to get them to swap it out with a new boat. I would ask the dealer to repair it. It looks like its below the water line. I would worry about water getting in to the core of the hull.

tpenfield

Staff member

I don't see a dent . . . Just a nick in the gel coat. Is this a new sale or a used sale? 0.8 hours would imply new, but it could have been sold previously, which would make it 'used'.

best to get the dealer to fix the gel coat.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Looks like it is only gelcoat from the pic, and it looks like the dealer maybe did it moving her around. Show 'em the pic by email, ask them to go look at it on the rack (their rack?) and see what they say. Looks like a nothing repair to me, but I would want it done.

Very nice boat. Congratulations! When and where we going? :)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Did you use it at all? Is it stored at the same place you bought it? Did you trailer it to a new location?

If they are the only ones that handled the boat, then they will probably (should) fix it for you at no charge. If you either used it or took it someplace else to be stored, then it could have happened after it left the dealer and they have no responsibility in having it repaired, they may still do it though.

Ask nicely and see what they say.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

A gel coat repair kit and a dealer NO COST repair is in order in my book. I doubt they will squawk about it

cayman drew

Cadet

Good advice I didn't think about the gel coat and possible seepage. Yes, it's stored at the marina I bought it from and only they have handled it. I did take it out on the bay for an ice cold mid 50's maiden voyage to show the wife what I bought but.. They've been excellent so far and I doubt they'll refuse to fix it. Emailed the picture waiting on their response.

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mid 50's, wow, I think the hull just cracked from the cold.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

From the look of it in the pic there is no seepage issue, it could be left as is for the rest of its life and it would have no effect on it.

You having used it means if they fix it for free you need to be very grateful and let people know they treated you right.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

Leave it be and wait till your next booboo and ask them to repair old nick with new one as you will need his service as it will happen . When I buy a new truck I'll scuff the inside bed as it helps me get past the bad ones . Nice Boat hows the stable Vee? hull perform ? Tell anybody that asks its where you Christened it with a box of wine and isn't that is where you hit it and what you use to see their expression .

cayman drew

Cadet

LOL, that's it, the Christening ceremony and bottle of wine! That's to blame!

I know, mid 50's right.. Northern Florida, people bust out the snow mobile suits when it dips down to these unGodly temperatures!

The stable Vee? hull surprised me. It's a design I have never seen before and I asked my sales guy if they built those ends to act like full time trim tabs, he said yes. I thought that was odd. Naturally in the maiden voyage I had to put her through her paces. I started with gentle S turnes and was quite surprised when I reach WOT (55 MPH) that she had no problem with me slamming the wheel hard left and back hard right. To use and old cliche she really did handle like she was on rails! Of course this was absolute perfect conditions, the bay was glass with no wind. I'm interested to see how she handles in some chop. And very tempted to see how she does in the coastal waters but that's a different thread.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

LOL, that's it, the Christening ceremony and bottle of wine! That's to blame!

I know, mid 50's right.. Northern Florida, people bust out the snow mobile suits when it dips down to these unGodly temperatures!

The stable Vee? hull surprised me. It's a design I have never seen before and I asked my sales guy if they built those ends to act like full time trim tabs, he said yes. I thought that was odd. Naturally in the maiden voyage I had to put her through her paces. I started with gentle S turnes and was quite surprised when I reach WOT (55 MPH) that she had no problem with me slamming the wheel hard left and back hard right. To use and old cliche she really did handle like she was on rails! Of course this was absolute perfect conditions, the bay was glass with no wind. I'm interested to see how she handles in some chop. And very tempted to see how she does in the coastal waters but that's a different thread.

WOT at 0.8 hours? Better read the owner's manual before you take it out again. That's why I don't buy used boats.