Dent in brand new boat

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Dent in brand new boat

I know, mid 50's right.. Northern Florida, people bust out the snow mobile suits when it dips down to these unGodly temperatures!
Tell me about it, was a nice 80F for the past week here in So Cal and now there's the storm of the century coming today, 53F, ouch, I'm not going out there, it's wicked cold and it's supposed to rain, double whammy. The boat is OK, it's in a heated warehouse.

cayman drew

Cadet

WOT at 0.8 hours? Better read the owner's manual before you take it out again. That's why I don't buy used boats.
The dealership said it was fine in very short intervals and to keep it under 3500 RPM the rest of the time varying the RPM every few minutes for the first 10 hours. I know what a break in period is... ;)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The dealership said it was fine in very short intervals and to keep it under 3500 RPM the rest of the time varying the RPM every few minutes for the first 10 hours. I know what a break in period is... ;)

Most break-in procedures are quite like you quoted. However, I never saw one that permitted WOT in the first 30 minutes! But if the dealer said it it must be OK.

cayman drew

Cadet

Most break-in procedures are quite like you quoted. However, I never saw one that permitted WOT in the first 30 minutes! But if the dealer said it it must be OK.

You're absolutely right, and no one ever said it was ok in the first 30 minutes? Given that I bought the boat with .8 on the hour meter... Anyway, the volvo penta break in procedure is for the first 5-10 minutes at fast idle above 1500 rpm, which I assume was done, then up to the two hour mark alternating RPM not greater than 3/4 throttle. Which is what I did. From the 2 hour mark to 10 hours full range of throttle can be used at alternating RPM but max load (WOT) or above 3/4 throttle must be limited to short durration. I know how an ECM works, the detailed records it keeps, and how to void a warranty. I followed their instructions to a tee.

littlerayray

Lieutenant

from what i was told your right cuz thats what they told me when i bought mine

QC

Supreme Mariner

If you ever buy an engine with a Dyno sheet, then WOT is what they did. No other way to do it ;)

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

LOL, that's it, the Christening ceremony and bottle of wine! That's to blame!

I know, mid 50's right.. Northern Florida, people bust out the snow mobile suits when it dips down to these unGodly temperatures!

The stable Vee? hull surprised me. It's a design I have never seen before and I asked my sales guy if they built those ends to act like full time trim tabs, he said yes. I thought that was odd. Naturally in the maiden voyage I had to put her through her paces. I started with gentle S turnes and was quite surprised when I reach WOT (55 MPH) that she had no problem with me slamming the wheel hard left and back hard right. To use and old cliche she really did handle like she was on rails! Of course this was absolute perfect conditions, the bay was glass with no wind. I'm interested to see how she handles in some chop. And very tempted to see how she does in the coastal waters but that's a different thread.

See your already getting over it . Use it Maintaine it well , polish and shine to standards and time , only ask her what see can give , and pounding is stressing it ,keep it dry and covered when not in use .My first love was a Woodson 1968 18' cathredal hull made in Coral Gables Fla. with 120hp Chyrlser OB and would still be using or giving to kids but wind storm put her in the ground thru trailer .

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Any dealer response yet???

D1vemaster

Cadet

I hope you have a picture of it before you rolled it off the lot . Once you've used it and retrieved it there going to argue it could have happened in the water .
They should fix it for you.
This worked for me in a similar situation . Ask for the owner of the dealership and don't tell them why. Then sit down with him and express your displeasure calmly . State your case. You can never raise your voice . This will usually work . The salesman has his money already and no longer cares . The service manager can't do anything for free without the owners ok anyway, so why argue with him. Take it right to the top and do it quick. He is the only one that has the power to make you happy.

cayman drew

Cadet

Any dealer response yet???

Yes. I couldn't be happier with Legendary Marine in Destin FL. They fixed the dent in fiberglass, replaced the anchor light which they noticed had a small dent, and they even replaced the steering wheel as some of the chrome had oxidized while on the showroom floor and lot. All at no charge. Excellent service!

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Naturally in the maiden voyage I had to put her through her paces. I started with gentle S turnes and was quite surprised when I reach WOT (55 MPH)

You and me both are surprised. The H210 with the 5.0L will not quite do 55 mph at WOT. MAYBE 52 mph.
fwspecs.jpg

cayman drew

Cadet

You and me both are surprised. The H210 with the 5.0L will not quite do 55 mph at WOT. MAYBE 52 mph.
fwspecs.jpg

Yup, and if you read the entire article the author notes he was in rougher water than he had hoped for. My situation was perfect glass in the bay. I've been able to hit 54-55 mph on each outing in flat conditions. I'm probably going out today so I'll try and remember to snap a picture. I guess I should check the spedo against the gps to make sure it's accurate as well..

cayman drew

Cadet

photo-23_zps53aa90a4.jpg

Here's that picture, just about 55 MPH with four people on board. Interesting though, the article you reference says 5105 RPM, I must not have had it trimmed right, maybe I could get more on a flat day by myself? :lol:

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

photo-23_zps53aa90a4.jpg

Here's that picture, just about 55 MPH with four people on board. Interesting though, the article you reference says 5105 RPM, I must not have had it trimmed right, maybe I could get more on a flat day by myself? :lol:

What's the GPS say? Adding a GPS on a boat tends to slow it down a little :) Just curious what the GPS says compared to the spedo.

LK

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yep, GPS to check. A good tach too, but with a rev limiter it really doesn't make a lot of difference for just top end.
Be careful, things happen very quickly at 50+. :facepalm: (lessons learned)

Alone, a good PFD and the a kill lanyard are good ideals for top end runs, with a new go fast boat and captain.

Prop Slip Calculator

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

See you didn't blow a nut and your dealer will probaly get all your work . Glad things worked out as what I posted before I hoped helped . Nice Fast Boat and when I buy my first newer one I'll remember your first test drive .
Yes. I couldn't be happier with Legendary Marine in Destin FL. They fixed the dent in fiberglass, replaced the anchor light which they noticed had a small dent, and they even replaced the steering wheel as some of the chrome had oxidized while on the showroom floor and lot. All at no charge. Excellent service!

PS what did you name her upon Christing ?