delay in boat build / delivery

gestut1

Seaman Apprentice
so what do you guys think. I was told 8 weeks when i bought the boat , the boat was ordered in early march, and when i called the manufacturer directly to follow up, they said it will be built in june and delivered in july, I talked to the dealer and they called the manufactured and were able to move it up to april 25 build date and delivery around may 15 th, as a follow up i called the manufacturer today and they said its not built yet and is now scheduled to be built on may 6 the and delivered in 1st week of june (didnt sound confident) , i already left a message with the dealer.

so my question is i live in chicago, and as you know we have limited summer, so a) is it acceptable to get the boat in june, will i be missing any boating time, b) what if the boat is not delivered by 1st week of june, should i cancel the order as I dont have confidence at this point, can i give a deadline to the dealer? as this was ordered in march, not sure how the boating industry/dealers works, are they giving me the runaround or is this normal?

mr 88

Commander
Re: delay in boat build / delivery

Whats 4 -6 weeks if this is the boat that you want. Unless you are a fisherman or plan on cruising I would not worry about losing early boating time.Think about all the gas money you will be saving that you can spend in the hot summer months instead. The Great lakes are still cold and when you are "sitting" on 40-45 degreee water with a slight breeze its chilly.The fall is better.They have not even begun to put boats in at the eastern end of Lake Erie with the cold wet spring we have had.

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's time for the wheeling and dealing to begin, with the dealer for more FREE stuff! Yes, that wonderful four letter word that has dealers just running for cover! But it's time for them to step up and make "nice-nice" for the sake of saving the sale. Hey remember, you did plan on that big event with the "family reunion" which is now going to be disappointing for you and all. But the dealer could make things better in time for the upcoming fourth of July "planned" family event with a nice two man tube, four blade prop, and that much needed bimini top you would have already had made in time.... You may not be Captain of your ship yet, but you can be a land pirate! aurrrrrgh!:eek:

gestut1

Seaman Apprentice

Whats 4 -6 weeks if this is the boat that you want. Unless you are a fisherman or plan on cruising I would not worry about losing early boating time.Think about all the gas money you will be saving that you can spend in the hot summer months instead. The Great lakes are still cold and when you are "sitting" on 40-45 degreee water with a slight breeze its chilly.The fall is better.They have not even begun to put boats in at the eastern end of Lake Erie with the cold wet spring we have had.

ya i will be boating in chain o lakes, so not sure how that would compare to lake erie?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

the 8 weeks sounds about right as they try schedule out as far as possible, the added 8 weeks sounds a little hokey.

We run into snags at Bennington with parts or furniture but that rarely delays a aboat more than a couple days, I can't imagine what woudl put it off 8 weeks.

Did they tell you why the boat was delayed?