Deep scratches & gouges

BCPOLNO23

Cadet
Hit a stump at the lake last outing resulting in moderately deep scratches and gouges, maybe 1/16 inches deep. So many products out there, not sure which one to use. Small area, maybe half foot square, half dozen scratches & gouges. Need advice on which product to use for repairs. Help, please.

BCPOLNO23

Cadet
No Title

Here are some pics. Thanks !

Attachments

• photo228564.jpg
    photo228564.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo228565.jpg
    photo228565.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 0

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Some of those gouges look fairly deep. You'll need to grind and dish out the worst of it
I'd tape off the surrounding area to be repaired to protect the hull from accidental damage when sanding. Use a Dremel tool or similar to feather out the smaller light scratches. For those three large gouges in the center, dish them out using an orbital sander or similar with heavy grit paper (40-60grit) to get down to nice clean glass. Clean area thoroughly with acetone. Tear up some small pieces of CSM and apply to the deep areas to build some thickness back. Using laminating poly resin (no wax) and a chip brush, apply CSM one layer at a time and check height of repair using a straight edge after each layer of CSM has tacked up. Once you get it to about 1/16" below flush, your ready to apply gelcoat. Brush on the first coat of white gelcoat using a chip brush (for this I use waxed gel), and let it cure to a hard finish. Once its hard, block sand the area with 120 grit and repeat subsequent coats of gel until you get a uniform level surface. Remove masking tape surrounding the repair and wet sand the repair up to 800-1000. Polish and buff to a shine and your done!

If you check my boat repair thread in my signature below, I will be adding some pictures soon showing this process. Good luck!

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
I wouldn't use CSM for this repair. 1708 will be my fabric of choice but this is just me.

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd say it depends on extend of damage and depth after sanding. If it's only 1/16" deep as BCPOLNO23 posted, then a little CSM in places is likely OK. I repaired the damaged corner on my transom with both CSM and 1708, because I had to go about 3/16"-1/4" deep to remove all the damaged glass.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm, That's just gelcoat scratches and no glass damage. All that's needed IF you want to repair it at all, is to clean the scratches and gouges well with acetone and then mix up some gelcoat paste and fill em in. Or if you're not real picky about the looks you could use Marine Tex or PC-11 to fill em. But you can just keep on boating if you want, no actual damage has been done to the boat, it's all cosmetic.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Uhmm, That's just gelcoat scratches and no glass damage. All that's needed IF you want to repair it at all, is to clean the scratches and gouges well with acetone and then mix up some gelcoat paste and fill em in. Or if you're not real picky about the looks you could use Marine Tex or PC-11 to fill em. But you can just keep on boating if you want, no actual damage has been done to the boat, it's all cosmetic.

It could be the picture but I see deep gouges in the glass itself. if only the gel was affected and I had an optical illusion, yes I agree, no glassing will be required

BCPOLNO23

Cadet
Thanks for the input from everyone. You have all talked me into taking it to an expert shop for the repairs. Don't think I am quite up for this job !

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm, I disagree... This IS a simple repair, and as stated, Not absolutely necessary. It's purely cosmetic in nature. A Gelcoat paste kit is inexpensive and easy to apply. You could do this repair in less than an Hour and for less than $30 bucks. A shop will charge you over $100.

Gelcoat Paste Repair Kit

Last edited:

BCPOLNO23

Cadet
Ok guys, I made the repairs myself and it came out fine. My local edgewater Dealer gave me the gel coat & my body shop pal gave me some kitty hair bondo (fiberglass laced ) & hardener. Watched some YouTube & pulled it off. Probably saved a couple hundred. I'll post some pics when I can. Thanks for all the input.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Bondo would not have been my first choice but, it'll work!! Look forward to the pics!!