Daytona 500

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Daytona 500

Laddies said:
new NASCAR rule
Bwahahahahahaha . . . :}

With that silliness out of the way, I think this is precisely why the role of the Sponsor is soooo good for NASCAR and missing in other sports. Do you think for one minute that DeWalt or Toyota or Ford or UPS would cough up the change they do if they thought NASCAR was playing puppeteer during the race? I guarantee that they would tell these guys to take their sport and stick it if they thought it was pre-determined or artificially manipulated unless it was in their favor . . .

I ask again, when would you have thrown that flag? I am sure there was somebody up there saying "hold it, hold it", because they would've been criticised even more if they threw it before, during, or after the pass(es). That would be them deciding who wins ;)

tommays

Admiral

My tivo says the thing took 5 seconds MAX :) first smoke to finish

Tommays

waterinthefuel

Commander

Laddies you are exactly right. Mark Martin won that race fair and square. I don't know if I can watch another NASCAR race, with so much cheating going on, both by the drivers and NASCAR officials.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Then waterinthefuel you must know exactly when the flag should've been thrown. If you know that, enlighten us. I have good video like tommays does; you tell me which car, doing what, would've caused you to throw the yellow and I'll tell you who would've won . . . This, to me, is the whole issue, when, not who ;)

Edit: BTW, plate racing is just plane stupid and causes all of this carp. They need to either:

a) drop Talladega and Daytona (not gonna happen)

b) flatten the corners, so they can't flat foot it all of the way around :}

c) dirty up the aero so much that they can run like the trucks do, unrestricted

Personally I vote for option b.

tommays

Admiral

This whole issue was supposed to be resolved with the scoring loops BUT a human still has to push the yellow button :)

And within that 5 seconds it went back and forth at least once and there are NOT enough loops to cover something that close

Tommays

waterinthefuel

Commander

At some point between the first car spinning and when they actually called it.

I say at the moment that Laddies photo was taken should have no doubt been a yellow flag.

They had already said if there was a wreck (not one behind or in front of the leaders, of course any wreck not involving the leaders will be behind them!) they would immediately call a yellow flag and the race would be over. They changed the rules to let Harvick win.

That's very obvious.

tommays

Admiral

I would agree that photo favors martin others may be different

BUT nobody is more liked than Mark Martin by Nascar

Tommays

Laddies

Banned

QC, I though it was best to let it go without any more comment, but I guess you can't. I am not smart enough to do all the quotes and things you can with a computer, but I can see, in fact I had to wait till my son got home to post the picture for me.
You original said go back and watch it again Harvick was in the lead when the wreck started. So I did none of the images I have available showed that. Then you said should they throw the flag at the first wiggle. So I had the picture posted and too that point Harvick was never in the lead in any pictures I have seen. If you have one then POST IT.
Then you come back and say Harvick lead before that picture SHOW us the PHOTO
Then you come back with your Bahahahahaha responce and try to ridicule my anwser when to drop the yellow flag and accuse my post as silliness and I am being silly argueing with you about any thing. I have seen some of your other posts. I just want you to prove me wrong not ridicule me. If I am wrong then I will apoligize now if you can't come up with a photo then you owe me one.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You guys are a riot. Why don't you watch a REAL sport ....like wrastlin' or roller derby. :p

QC

Supreme Mariner

tommays gets it. It is a combination of the flag and the last scoring loop. Somebody still has to "decide" when the yellow is valid: tire smoke, oil, car sideways, seven cars banging (Laddies pic), debris, Robby Gordon's glove . . .

Oh, oh, why would NASCAR "let" Harvick win over Martin? Many fans don't like him because he is a hot head, and they say he thinks he is Earnhardt Sr. Another oh, oh . . . and how did they know he would actually pass Martin again?

Edit: Laddies, I am just having fun. I think this is a cool debate and shows how tough it is for NASCAR. I didn't see your post before this last one. The bwahahahah was for the word "rule" and NASCAR in the same sentence. Actually agreeing with you kinda . . . I don't have a pic, just video. I just watched again. Harvick was in front before that shot. I'll see if I can find a still shot showing that. I seriously was not belittling you or trying to pick a fight. Just having some fun discussing . . . :)

bekosh

Lieutenant

Watching NASCAR is like driving thru Iowa.

NASCAR: left, left, left, left, left, left, left, Oh a crash!, left, left, left, left, left, left, left.

Iowa: corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, Oh a cow!, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn.

Watch a real sport, like Hockey!
:love: :fight: :popcorn:
<Puts on asbestos undies and runs to hide in flame proof bunker.>

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

bekosh said:
Watching NASCAR is like driving thru Iowa.

NASCAR: left, left, left, left, left, left, left, Oh a crash!, left, left, left, left, left, left, left.

Iowa: corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, Oh a cow!, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn.

Watch a real sport, like Hockey!
:love: :fight: :popcorn:
<Puts on asbestos undies and runs to hide in flame proof bunker.>

I thought the "wrastlin' or roller derby" line was funnier.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

"Wrastlin" line..
But why are you here? Go start a "sewin-thread" if you have nuthin to add :)

But I STILL want to know if they impound the winning car, if not the entire field, after each race for inspection.
Do they? And if so, what might have been done to Harvick's car to make it bolt-ahead like that AFTER all that "help" went into a blender behind them? How did the draft help if the drafters piled-up?
I still say something is NOT right with that car.

QC

Supreme Mariner

!2Foot,

I have watched the last 30 seconds about 25 times. First the #31 gives the #17 a push and then the #17 gives the #29 a good shove. The #01 is busy blocking the #5 and losing some speed doing so. When the #5 begins to spin out behind the #01, the #29 has just about passed him, but is slowing and then the #01 starts to wiggle. The wiggle allows the #29 to complete the pass just as the whole mess starts behind. When the pic from Laddies post is shot, the #01 has just recovered and has got back ahead of the #29 as the #29 has lost the momentum from the shove. At this point they both have lost the draft and the #29 gets the benefit of the wider arc on the outside of the front "straightaway". As they cross the line the #01 is gaining, but just runs out of time . . .

They inspect all of the cars at the end, but they are not impounded. The #29 is kept by NASCAR for one year and the winning team is paid $100K to "lease" it. I don't know if they continue to inspect it while they have it.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Thanks, QC.
I Would guess they use the car for displays after inspection? I'd disect the thing, but oh well, i guess if Martin got loose, that would explain what I saw as Harvick "shooting-ahead" like he did.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I wanted Martin to win. I was bumming as I was smiling becasue I am kind of an RCR fan although Harvick had to win me over last season. BTW, anyody that wants to see the last two laps it is here:

http://www.nascar.com/multimedia/

Look for Daytona 500 Part 6 . . .

QC

Supreme Mariner

Laddies,

I have not found a still. Best I can come up with is this article I read this morning:

ESPN Article

FWIW, I am not continuing this to win anything. As I posted above I think it is fun. I sent you a PM with an apology and an explanation like above concerning the bwahaha and silliness thing, maybe you don't get PMs? I sent that (and this) not because of your challenge, but because I am truly sorry if I offended you. It was never my intention whatsoever. I thought I was actually joking along with you. I can see how it was misinterpreted. Again, sorry for that := (meant for me)

NASCAR and rules is a joke, as they do change them whenever they want, and they refuse to publish a rule book, which I believe was kinda your frustration to begin with. I do, however, support their need to be flaky: weird things happen in almost every race. What bugs me is that it leaves the door open for stevieray "wrastlin'" analogies. I already have to defend that comparison here often. The California wine and cheese crowd have not completely warmed up to NASCAR yet . . .

waterinthefuel

Commander

You sure have to admit this finish was one for the recordbooks. How many times in the past has the finish been disputed to this degree?

I love it!