Daughter assalted at school(Rant)

D

DJ

Re: Daughter assalted at school(Rant)

It was only AFTER all this that I learned all these students were home-schooled. Call it predjudice if you want, but I formed the opinion long before I had a common denominator.
Predjudiced opinion affirmed-after the fact.<br /><br />I guess I can base my "druggie=government school" based opinion on what I've seen? Right? Wrong! But, I'll admit it.<br /><br />And, those actions are ONLY attributed to home educated children? Do you really believe that?<br /><br />If that is what you base your opinions on, I suggest that you expand your mind/outlook.<br /><br />If you have not done it, seen it, lived it, you have no basis for criticism.

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class

The schools are to educate and provide secure protection for all childen.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Predjudice would imply that my knowledge of their background would affect my perception and opinion of their behaviour. It was the opposite. In fact, it was my first experience with home-schooling, prior to this I had never heard of such a thing, so obviously had no pre-conceptions or predjudice formed.<br /><br />Sure, other students exhibited occasional occurence of innapropriate reactions, but none showed CONSITENT patterns. These students stood out in my mind because they had patterns of inappropriate reactions. The girl that got food in her hair, I saw her drop her books once. Embarassing. But where some people would laugh at themselves, some would hurriedly pick them up and retreat into a corner, this girl left them all on the ground, ran out the door, and went home for the rest of the day. A little drastic for a simple embarrassing moment.<br /><br />To be honest, there may very well have been other students that were home-schooled that I didn't know about, I never really bothered to inquire. I saw the pattern, but with no explanation. Later, the knowledge of their home-schooling seemed to provide that explanation, and that was as far as I thought into it. Perhaps their behaviour had another explanation, I'm open to suggestions.<br /><br />Can you honestly claim that of all the people you personally know to have attended public school, that 80% of them are drug-addicts or can't read/spell? 3 out of 4 (okay, 75%) of the student I have known to be home-schooled have exhibited what I would describe as "odd" social behaviour. As I said in my first post, generally normal until faced with a conflict or other social dilema, and then their reactions were usually the same emotions you would expect, but their actions were above and beyond "normal".

D

DJ

Can you honestly claim that of all the people you personally know to have attended public school, that 80% of them are drug-addicts or can't read/spell? 3 out of 4 (okay, 75%) of the student I have known to be home-schooled have exhibited what I would describe as "odd" social behaviour.
No, I cannot.<br /><br />Nor, can you/should you be judging an entire movement by a one time observation.<br /><br />By your words/judgment-my children are social retards. You do not know me, or them-how dare you pass judgment so quickly.<br /><br />As for government schools, I pulled my children out. Plus, I have four teachers (past and present) in the family. That is is pretty good assesment, in my book.

D

DJ

nos42r wrote;<br /><br />
I would never have learned any of that through home tutoring from anyone.<br /><br />Rant over.<br />
The only thing you got right was it is up to the indivudual.<br /><br />Sorry to hear your home environment could not provide that.<br /><br />I'd dare say, yours was not typical.<br /><br />I find the judgment and "classification" here to be frightening. Just what the government wants.

Serentiy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I Sub for the school and I can tell you which kids have stay at home moms or dads and which are day care Tv sat. My grandpa told me when I was trying to decide to stay home or work " my kids are going to as good as the ones who raise them." meaning If I send them to day care they will be brought up to the standards of the day care or tv what ever they are taught. I'm A stay at home mom and am home when they are they are good kids and respect others my daughter is all A's and my son is A-b students<br />serenity <br />P.S. I just wish every one would respect others and others belongings .

D

DJ

Serenity,<br /><br />My hat's off to you for making that sacrifice.<br /><br />You will be richly rewarded.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

What do you mean by judgement and "classification" Dj? Not sure I understand.

D

DJ

Nos4r2 wrote;<br /><br />I would never have learned any of that through home tutoring from anyone.<br /><br />That, my freind, is judging a method of education.

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was a 15 year prison employee(counselor) and now public school teacher (5 years) and I also home school my kids(all 5). Unfortunately, most of the opinions stated here are correct to some extent. A lot of home school children are very socially deprived and wierd. My kids hate to go to events with the local home school club. But these kids would be that way home schooled or not, it's a parent and personality thing. My kids are very social and well adjusted, because they are not removed from society, just the worst parts. But, public schools are a very sorry place to try and learn character, morals, or decency. If you are strong and can fight your way through and learn from it, great. But not everyone can take being abused or subjected to drugs, sex, and crime every day. Most cave in, as evidenced by the statistics of teen drug abuse, pregnancy and sexual activity. Most teachers are decent people but they are there to get a paycheck and dont really care all that much about your kids. Since I have a prison background,I am a little more observant and watchful of what goes on, I am the only one in any school I have worked in that will stop fights, bullying, abuse, etc.,before it gets totally out of hand. The other teachers are oblivious or dont care. The amount of sex, drugs and abuse that goes on is frightening. Also, as I have stated before, schools cover up most of these incidents as obviously they do not want the public to know. I have tried to change the system, but it's like beating your head against a wall. I fight with admins constantly, and the only reason I still have a job is because I am a competent teacher, and I stop most of the problems before they start, making there job so much easier. I have tried to rally parents to my cause, but almost all are too busy or just dont really care(frightening). School has become a babysitting service, and not a very good one. I can't even keep up with the number of 12-14 year olds that are pregnant or sexually active. Schools give out condoms and pregnancy tests freely and will gladly arrange an abortion for your child. As far as an education goes, if a child is intelligent and motivated they can receive a decent one in public school. But the majority are not getting much. Teachers are too busy fighting with the hoodlums or have way too many kids in a class to give any attention to struggling students. So these kids are left behind or recieve only a maginal education. But, I think what bothers me the most is the "prison attitude" that is becoming more common at an earlier age in these kids. Rudeness, meanness, no respect for authority and kindness is considered weakness. So people who are nice are abused and taken advantage off. This is the same predatory attitude I saw in 15 years of prison work. I guess I'm starting to ramble, so I will stop. Just thought a perspective from someone who has been there would be useful.