Daughter assalted at school(Rant)

Stratosfied

Ensign
First off, let me state that I know my daughter is not perfect, but, she has made straight A's all through school and in every PTO conference with the school they have said she is an excellent student and a wonderful helper in the classroom. She has been to two JBQ National Tournaments and recently represented her school and Community in Washington DC at a Congressional Jr Leadership Trip. She is an only child and this is the most 'public' boasting I have put her in. I am extremely proud of her.<br /><br />That said, yesterday when school let out she was walking to the pick up area and a girl told her some profane things and then held her down by her hair. My daughter is a healthy thin, the "bully" outweighs her by 100# and looks like an 18 yr old. This 'bully', while they were in Elementary School had to have the police come and remove her from the classroom one time. She recently started back to the Middle School. They are both in the 6th Grade.<br /><br />Now, I called the school today and this is what they are gonna do.. Suspend the "bully" for 2 days, and place her in ISS(in school Suppension), for the remander of the year, about two weeks. Isn't there anything else the school could have done given the problems that she has had in the past??? I want my daughter and all students to be safe in school. A pastor once mentioned that we should pray each time we go through a school zone for the safety of our children. We she gets home today I will indeed teach her how to give a Stone Cold Stunner :eek: :eek: if this should ever happen again.

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Daughter assalted at school(Rant)

I would insist that the school call the police and have an officer write up a report, and look into pressing assault/batter charges.

NYMINUTE

Captain

It gets uglier every day. My granddaughter fought with a boy who was heckling my younger granddaughter on the bus earlier this year. She slapped him in the head (same age). She got booted from the bus for a week, and the younger one wouldn't ride the bus without her. The boy got nothing. I drove them all week, then the kid got caught by the driver. He is walking for 2 weeks. Poetic justice.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Stratosfied:<br /> I want my daughter and all students to be safe in school.
You can do that Strato, just pull her out of the public cesspool. Leave the mess to the ones that created it.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

What DJ said. It's a cruel world......the younger they realize that, the better off they'll be. I would still be pissed though.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Stratosfied,<br /><br />Keep her close, and keep her safe while ya can, and make sure you know what’s going on in her life. It's horrible. No kids myself but our neighbors 13 year old granddaughter committed suicide because of abuse by class mates. Although this happened 7 plus years ago it doesn’t seem much has changed….not for the better anyway.

TilliamWe

Banned

I a perfect world Strato, you would be able to go to her house and beat the bejesus out of her parents. Or your daughter would get to kick the "crap" out of her. Short of that, I don;t think you are going to get very far. The school has already made their decision.<br />I don;t believe in calling the cops over stupid stuff like this. I believe in handling it internally (please see about "crap kicking" statement.) Best of luck to you & your daughter.<br />(Oh by-the-way, compared to what I know about kids today, your description of her & her accomplishments makes her sound pretty perfect!)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> We used to "handle" these things ourselves.
my thoughts exactly DJ...<br /><br />oh boy... get the cops involved..<br /><br />.. get social services involved..<br /><br />.. get a damn grip! :rolleyes:

D

DJ

We used to "handle" these things ourselves.

Stratosfied

Ensign

I was thinking that given this childs problems in the past that the school may have some sort of 'outreach' for the child and guardian. I don't want the school to look the other way when there is a pattern of bad social skills. I realize that this is not primarily the schools problem. I wish there was an easy cut and dry answer for this.

SoulWinner

Commander

That's a big 10-4 Boom. We home-school our son and he has never been happier. And his grades haven't been this good since he was in the fifth grade.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

What happened sounds to me like assault and battery. If you're not satisfied with how the principal handled it, you should move up the chain of command, probably a superintendent, all the way up to the school board. Then there's the police option - pretty extreme I think, only you can decide that.<br /><br />Hey DJ, when you say "we" do you mean the 6th graders or the parents? And by "handle" ... never mind, not sure I want to know. ;)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

when my daughter was being harrased by some others we had the standard admin meetings, parents meetings, finally the main boy turned 16 and we went to the magistrate,swore out a warrent and had the kid and his parents in dare county crimminal district court. also supenoed the school admin. daughter was left alone after that.<br /> cost 300 dollars for our attorney but it beat the alternative.<br /> the judge was not impressed with his past record either

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> What happened sounds to me like assault and battery. If you're not satisfied with how the principal handled it, you should move up the chain of command, probably a superintendent, all the way up to the school board. Then there's the police option - pretty extreme I think, only you can decide that.<br /><br />
That's exactly right! You parents get the results you want. Take it to the Superintendent! Then the school board. Make it clear what you want done. That student removed from the school. (Just a note: The reason they want her on ISS is for the money. Who gives a rats a$$ about money? Your daughter is not safe.) Don't give up until you get what you want or have exhausted your options.<br />Okay,I'll shut up now.<br />Bassy

Twidget

Commander

It's a shame, but if she defends herself, she will probably be suspended.<br /><br />Schools dont seem too interested in finding out what happened, they just react with a 'zero tolerance'. Which unfortunately, usually catches the person reacting to the assault.

FLATHEAD

Captain

First off ,, is it really the school's problem?? I guess to a certain extent ,, yes. But the reality is this kid most likely needs a good azz kicking at home.<br /><br />The schools are there to provide a basic education. Not to be surrogate parents.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by tylerin:<br /> go beat the crap out of her dad ;)
If anybody knows who or where he is.

aspeck

Staff member

Flahthead, First off, good to see your post - I'll be home next month, let's get together and catch some bass.<br /><br />Secondly, you are correct, it is the schools responsibility to teach, not to parent, but what do you do when parents refuse there role? If the school does nothing, it makes it unsafe for others.<br /><br />For just the reason that Stratosfied mentions here, as well as what I feel too strong an emphasis by the schools on social issues and programming and not enough time on teaching the fundamentals, I will be home schooling my youngest - oldest 2 are out of school, but youngest is 3 1/2. We are already looking into curriculums, etc. I don't want a school taking time away from teaching basics to teach my girl how to feel good about herself. Give her an education, motivate her to perform at her best potential, give her guidelines that let her know people care about her (yes, even tell her NO when neccessary) and she WILL feel good about herself.

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is the kind of thing that drove my wife and I to home-schooling. We have six children (4 school age) and things where going down hill fast at school. I was seriously concerned with all the bullying going on.<br />For some reason, my children are nowhere near as tough as I was. My mom knew that if she got a call from the office, it meant someone was trying to push me around. But my children, they are jsut not like that.<br />The school systems need to look around and realise that home home-schooling is a commentary on how we feel about their performance. Yes, they get a big fat -F.<br />But you know what, now that we home-school my children are alot happier. Course Mom is a real slave driver, she is making sure that the children learn alot more than if they where in school.