daily music fix

southkogs

Staff member
^^ Got that sent to me from family in Michigan last night. Hillarious.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah just showed to the wife she doesn't quite get it. She is born and taised down here.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
my dads folk music band, circa 1964. R.F Trio. He is the one standing, I'm named after the other two. The following link was recorded in 1973, dad doing vocals.

1672183141794.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ha, pretty sharp wit this morning....

Dave - on the right - passed about 30 years ago.

This is joe, he is on the left in the above pic. He's a year older than dad so 81. He also played banjo and imo had a better voice than my dad.

1672229247401.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
heres dad.

they apparently were doing quite well touring in/around Portland and had made a couple demo records (he still has them) but then the whole veitnam thing got in the way, then life in general after they came home.

1672229648755.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
the coffee table is still in the family - this would have been grandmas house in portland. I was born in may of the same year so he must have some home on leave as I was born at Cannon AFB and after that we moved to moffet AFB.

1672255380492.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
here is his latest blog post and song

Not too long after getting to Vietnam I bought a guitar.
It wasn't much, but it wasn't bad.
And it let me fill my off hours as I had filled my off hours since late high school days.
I sat on my bed and strummed, played chords, practiced barres and sang songs.
The trick had always been to figure out beguiling strumming/picking patterns and transitions laid on top of basic chords.
Except for a few snippets here and there I never played tunes on individual strings.
I learned to finger every chord I could find on the Nick Manloff chord wheel and attempted to embellish the not very interesting sound of a strummed chord with picking patterns.
I had never learned to read music so that was pretty much a time-consuming exercise of brute force.
One other source of music for me in Vietnam was the stereo set and records that I had bought - or records that my friend Ron Hatchett had given to me - at the Base Exchange.
Those records were mostly artists that were new and rising, among them Simon and Garfunkel.
One of their songs that I particularly liked was a mélange of chords I couldn't figure out overlaid by rhythms of which I was not familiar.
(More accurately, they were rhythms whose nuance I suspected I was not capable.)
But, like the infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters, since I had nothing but time - until DEROS (Date Estimated Return From Overseas) at least - I persevered and came up with a simulation of Cloudy.

Here it is from that 1973 recording I mentioned in a recent post.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

a Stray Cats car song that's not really about cars......