dad giving me a Bass Tracker with issues!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: dad giving me a Bass Tracker with issues!

Compression test and spark test

Remove all spark plugs and ground all the plug wires to prevent any stray sparks from igniting fuel vapors when you crank the motor.

Test compression on each cyl.

Test spark on each plug wire using an adjustable gap spark tester set to 7/16 inch. If any fail this test the motor will not make good power.

Joe Reeves posted a DIY Spark Tester somewhere here on iBoats, sorry I never saved that link. Find it, you need a board, nails and wire, very simple and effective.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I certainly agree with what's been said. That boat ought to be good for the 50's with the correct prop. I would think a 21 pitch stainless steel prop would be about right size.

The jack plate looks like a homemade unit--without any adjustments. Whenever the engine running issues are settled, invest in a $200 two piece adjustable aluminum jack plate. With a "Merc stack 6" on this small boat, adjustments will go a long way toward setting the boat up properly.

You can buy a spark tester at any auto parts store for very little. With 3 carbs and 90/10 gasoline, these engines are easy to get gummed up fuel systems, and leaking needle valves. Remember, good spark and good fuel atomization is needed to run properly.

As long as compression is pretty equal, this engine shouldn't be too much of a challenge to get running right. It should make this little boat perform like a rocket.

Good luck!

SeaPro180

Banned

Turn engine over with each fuel line pulled off at the carb to test fuel pump - don't run it long though - and make sure you avoid sparks!

Are you pre-mixing 50:1 oil? I'm sure you are on this older motor. That's good though - nothing to fail! Interestingly enough, after-market outboard motor rebuilders will NOT warrant a motor unless the oil mixing is disabled and pre-mix run in the engine.

Make sure you're using all new gas - might even try running it on a small, new tank (with pre-mix). This old ethanol tainted fuel goes bad in a couple of months. (You'll need to drain & clean the in-boat tank before using ot if its had old E-gas in it for long).

Next - the carbs should be cleaned - the old fuel gums up and they won't work right. You might get it running without this step, but it probably won't run as well.

Next - The spark tester is cheap and easy - $10 or so ...

Next - Compression checker takes a bit more time, and the check - but many auto parts stores will loan/rent one to you for the day.

Like someone said above - 50mph+ with 115 on that light boat! That Merc is a good, reliable engine as long as you keep it cool (change the impeller and lower gear lube soon!).

Good luck!

Last edited:

atcra

Seaman

Thank you all for your comments/tips...been working on the boat for most of this long weekend and now have it running (rouhg but running). I rewired the fuse panel to get rid of the old glass tube fuses but now i have carb/fuel issue. I have fuel coming out of #2 and #3 from the bottom of the big opening in the front and the brass screw on #3. the boat has a 23 degree prop. The Alum. polished up very nicely and bright...back of boat looks like a mirror! Thanks dad! Please assist with fuel leaking..i think it is the needle with the rubber tip...just my thoughts. thank you.#3 carb. spitting.JPG#2 Carb leaking.JPGSANY0851.jpg

SeaPro180

Banned

Can't tell much from the photo - The float may be stuck and spewing fuel out. You'll need to get the carb off and cleaned - on some models you can pull the bowl ...

Here are the carb pages from the Mercury Service Manual for mid to late 90's 75-125HP Mercury 2-stroke motors ) ...
http://1manual.com/Mercury%20manuals/Service%20Manual%20PDFs/TwoStroke/830234r3/3b.pdf

What year/model motor is it?

Transom looks great.

When you get it running, you'll be impressed - its going to fly with that 115HP and a 23Pitch prop!

atcra

Seaman

Thank you for your comments/compliments. From what i can tell from doing the mercury outboard seach by Serial # it comes out to be an 1984 115 in-line 6 cyl.

SeaPro180

Banned

Carb setup is probably very similar to whats they had in the mid 90's service manual I posted earlier.

As I recall from owning one of these "Tower of Power" series, the carbs were relatively easy to get to.

You may want to replace some of the fuel lines (after you get it all running), as they are old and the new E-gas can damage them.

Good luck!

atcra

Seaman

I have already taken them off and replaced the fuel lines. In the process of cleaning them out I found out that the inlet needle rubber tip is broken off on 2 of them...i purchased 3 of them along with new floats...your correct...they were very easy to remove and work on. Thank you.

SeaPro180

Banned

Good!

Yes, the rubber tips get brittle (esp with Ethanol) and stick to the seat and get ruined.

If you go with Pre-mix and keep a good impeller in her, that 115 will run long and strong.

The only other things I will warn you about are:
1) Plugs: Use the Merc specified 2-stroke (not 4-stroke) spark plugs. Too hot a plug (like a 4-stoke plug) will burn a cylinder.
2) Timing: Do not advance it beyond factory spec or you can burn a cylinder.

If your tilt doesn't want to go al lthe way up, the hydraulic fluid is probably low - use Dexron II, type F or type FA automatic transmission fluid to fill it.

Let us know what your GPS speed is with the 23 pitch prop - bet it will be close to 60 or more.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like the old Merc. drip, drip, drip out of the front of the carbs. Sticky needle valves. +1 on cleaning the carbs.

You might not even need any carb. kits if you're careful with the gaskets.

atcra

Seaman

Unlike myther boat (1995 Wellcraft 210 SC with an i/o 302 volov penta) the carb. rebuild was alot easier! Like i said earlier...i have the new needles and floats on order. Had the boat running again yesterday just trying to get some good fresh mixed fuel pushed through it since it has not been moved nor started in 2 yrs. Ran alot smoother yesterday than it did Monday...am i suppose to mix the blue stabil with 2 stroke mixed fuel? I asked my dad that and we both were unsure...not sure if the 2 cycle oil had any type of fuel stabilizer in it. Older gentleman told me the other day that we still have a gas station close by that has the non-thenol gas....will be visiting it soon! thank you for all of your assistance.

atcra

Seaman

Received my order in the mail yesterday and replaced all 3 floats and fuel inlet needles (needles where solid metal...no rubber tips like original and came with new seat and washer). Have not reinstalled on motor yet due to weather here in LA (Lower Alabama)...tomorrow is bringing more crap. Looking at running her this weekend if the needles do the jobs with the fuel leaking out of carbs. Went through main fuel jets last night with carb spray and cleaned them out....hopefully all will run well enough for me to figure out further issues.

another question...earlier in this posting someone mentioned that wet foam will hiinder the boat from performing well. I am under the trolling motor rewiring everything and i am seeing gaps and open area all along where the floor meets the edges of the boat...will rain water not get in htese ans saturate that insulation/foam? How does water on drain with out getting the foam wet? I plan on recarpeting the boat correctly with marine carpet and snugging everything into place...should i be worried about these small areas? thanks!

I just tried adding a video of motor running but can't seem to get correct file type...will try with another camera when i get it running again.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The issue with foam water absorption is more when it sits in water for a long time. I wouldn't think rainwater would be a big problem.

JMichael

Seaman Apprentice

I'm doing a rebuild project on a 77 Fisher 15'. I gutted the interior and pulled out all the saturated foam in the floor. I weighed a small section of the foam that came in at just under 6 lbs. After doing the math on the total square inches of foam that was in the boat, it comes out to about 185 lbs. Some parts are more saturated than others, but I'd say a conservative estimate puts me at 150+ lbs. of foam. Here are a couple of pics of some of the foam and what was under it.

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00209.jpg

SeaPro180

Banned

If the fom gets/stays wet, it will absorb mositure, as JMichales boat did. I;ve seen old Whalers that needed to be repwered bacuse their internl foam had been soaked because of holes in the floor.

If your foam is on the side and is staying dry, why not keep it?

LA? Dothan? Gulf Shores? Mobile?

Only way to load a video I know of is simply posting it somewhere (photobucket for example) and adding a link to it with:

[ URL ]http://photobucket.com/myalbum/myvideo.mpg[ /URL ]

for example (no spaces).

atcra

Seaman

(LA) Ft. Rucker/Enterprise/Dothan area! You understand the LA term...you close?

scipper77

Commander

Let us know what your GPS speed is with the 23 pitch prop - bet it will be close to 60 or more.

I'd hope if that rig does more than 60 we never find out. I'd probably chicken out at around 40-45 just based on the hull design. I cant imagine that boat wouldn't get squirrely at those speeds.

atcra

Seaman

Not that i really NEED to go that fast but i would be lying to you now if i told you i weren't smiling at the fact that it might get there one day. The whole purpose of this boat is to go fishing...not skimming across the water plus i do not want to be dropping sheephead, bass, redfish, spec trout in my other boat and getting that carpet trashed before we head to the lakes tubeing and or the bay crusing. I too think that the flat hull would not do well screaming through the water like those professional boats do.

atcra

Seaman

So...i took the boat out this morning and now understand what my dad was talking about. The boat will get up and move but at about 32mph (GPS) water will soak you from spraying from underneath the driverside bow. I tried sitting toward the middle of the boat to distribute the weight alittle better but still the same thing. 27 mph is was fine and there is plenty left in the engine but i will need a mask and snorkle if i wish to go faster. Why would water shoot from underneath the driver side bow only when i get to that speed? I use the trim as required. I did that the fin off the engine as someone said i should. I just cannot get the bow of the boat up to increase speed. thank you.