Cylinder 3 won't fire!

plmskier

Seaman Apprentice
I heard back from my dealer and after they changed the spark plug wires, cap and rotor cylinder 3 is not firing at the end of the plug wire. Spark plugs themselves are fine per dealer. I guess they have a machine they hook up the end of the spark plug wires to and see if there is any spark. They called Volvo and they are not sure what the problem is either. They do not think it?s the ecm or sensors. Any ideas?

nathanj988

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Cylinder 3 won't fire!

Which engine do you have? Did you take it into the dealer because it was running poorly like it was already missing on cylinder 3?

Bondo

Staff member

I heard back from my dealer and after they changed the spark plug wires, cap and rotor cylinder 3 is not firing at the end of the plug wire. Spark plugs themselves are fine per dealer. I guess they have a machine they hook up the end of the spark plug wires to and see if there is any spark. They called Volvo and they are not sure what the problem is either. They do not think it’s the ecm or sensors. Any ideas?

Ayuh,.... How many more cylinders does yer motor have,..??

How 'bout the serial number, or better yet the full alphanumeric model number of yer motor,..??

plmskier

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry all. I thought I updated my sign to show my boat. I have a 225 four winns sundowner with 5.0 volvo penta 270 FI, SX drive. V8. The dealer thinks they got a bad batch of distributer caps as 4 failed in a row. He pulled another cap off of another boat in the lot with the same engine, this time a volvo dist cap and the boat ran great. Off the shelf caps he was using was from mercury which is supposed to work stated from my mechanic. I brought boat in because the original dist cap (did not know at the time) had a screw that would not tighten so it was not making contact. They are ordering volvo dist caps to keep on stock and hope this fixes the problem. Just seems odd how 4 new ones off the shelf had the same problem, ran fine for a bit, must have shorted out and lost cyl 3. no spark at end of wire.

plmskier

Seaman Apprentice

Just a follow up. Ran the boat last night and it is running smooth and I think the new volvo distributer cap was the fix. Thanks.