Customer Service ?

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just have to rant a bit. What is it with people today ?

I go to a national brand auto parts store to replace the battery in the admiral?s car. The battery is under warranty so that is a swap. Also need to replace the one in my truck, that is now toast from trying to jump her muscle car big engine. 92 Camaro 350 cc engine.

Not only did they give me a battery that didn?t have enough charge to start her car, but the one they gave me for my truck doesn?t fit. When I asked about installation, they told me they didn?t have anyone available, as three of them leave for lunch. What is with these people ?

In today?s economy, you would think that they would be interested in keeping the customers that they have and that they would therefore want to keep their jobs ?

Is there something wrong with me? Do I expect too much?

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Customer Service ?

My experience with an auto supply, we will call it N, has been poor. They cannot read catalogs, don't have a clue what you need and want you to go away since they want to watch TV.

Didn't you catch the different size battery for the truck?

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Those kind of people at those kind of places just don't care, they are still going to make their $8/hour regardless if they please you or not.

I've found the best service at the smaller (and more expensive) Mom & Pops stores.... :)

D

DJ

The ONLY thing I buy from those places is car wax. That's it.

Ya get what ya pay for. Which isn't much, in those places.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

The truck battery is the correct size, posts are on front not back. Guess my fault for not installing it in the parking lot.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

My experience with an auto supply, we will call it N, has been poor. They cannot read catalogs, don't have a clue what you need and want you to go away since they want to watch TV.

Those kind of people at those kind of places just don't care, they are still going to make their $8/hour regardless if they please you or not.

They all have website's. I just look it up myself and then go buy it.

Shamus O'toole

Petty Officer 1st Class

The truck battery is the correct size, posts are on front not back. Guess my fault for not installing it in the parking lot.

this has me confused......just turn the battery around or am I missing something here?

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

My experience has been the opposite. A large national chain nearby will even change out wiper blades for you. :cool:

Now dealing with a third party hospital billing center is a whole different issue.:mad:

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lol .. Yesterday I went to one and knew what was wrong with my Jeep ,code P0132 O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 . I had cleared the code and it returned. I went there and wanted a quick scan to confirm the same code and had the part number for the replacement. I walked in and was the only one in the store and the manager said it would be 20 min for a scan because the had his help outside putting in a battery . (3 people working inside at the time) So I waited and saw several people take twice the time it would have taken to take care of me come in , get waited on and leave . Then an ex employee came in and "borrowed the scanner" to check his car. I was now waiting even longer . Finally the guy brought the scanner back inside and we went out to scan my vehicle .. P0132 as I suspected but the employee insisted this was a code for a cyl 2 misfire . I told him that would be P0302 . He got "snotty" with me and inside we went . I told him the part number I needed and he told me they did not have it but I could see the screen and 1 was in stock . I had to point this out to him and he finally got the O2 sensor and then had the gall to ask me if I wanted plugs to take care of the misfire !!!!

How do these people have jobs ??????

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

My son and I went to a local hair cut place. There were two employees in the facility, but at the time only one was cutting hair. The one cutting hair called my sons name, then the other employee came up to the register and stood there. She then informed me that she has 5 mins left on her break. So she just stood at the register for 5 mins until the clock ticked, at which time she called me to get my hair cut. It wasn't like she wasn't done eating, or smoking a cig, she was just standing around.

I almost left.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Being in Retail I have seen it happen the other way around plenty of times too.

Today for example I had a women yell at me for a good 10 minutes because she couldnt get a refrigerator delivered on Thursday. She hadn't even bought the thing at that point. She had called a few hours earlier to ask when we could get a specific model delivered.....at that point Thursday was available. I specifically told her that the delivery may not be available at that time for much longer and that even if she came in the next half an hour it may not be available ( multiple stores operate out of that warehouse and delivery availability changes frequently throughout the day). By the time she came in a few hours later, the Thursday delivery was no longer available and she went nuts.....and then demanded a discount.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Most of the time I tend to head to interstate for batteries which are always fresh....... I also do all my own installations (unless it's a Dodge when you have to go through the front wheelwell. ;)

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I go to a national brand auto parts store to replace the battery in the admiral?s car. 92 Camaro 350 cc engine.

Not only did they give me a battery that didn?t have enough charge to start her car.......

Well, if you told them it was a 350CC engine, the motorcycle battery they gave you should have been fine. ;)

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Customer service is near and dear to my heart. Even so, from a business perspective I have a saying that first occurred to me when I was a director in a high tech company.
"Some people should be someone else's customer"
I rarely speak this out loud but it plays in my head on occasion because it works both ways. Just like the fridge lady perhaps should be someone else's customer, I should not be a "crappy tire" customer. I never force people to give me decent service, I support those who do it naturally. In the end I save time and expense even if I did pay more at the till.

Shamus O'toole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, if you told them it was a 350CC engine, the motorcycle battery they gave you should have been fine. ;)

you caught that to huh.....being that I used to be in the high performance parts business, I can honestly say most people don't know crap about there cars!!LOL

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My pet peeve is when I call customer support and get the script reader.

I go through a complete description of the problem and all the steps I have taken so far

"I have power cycled the unit twice and rebooted my computer twice and I still have a 1 red light and 2 green lights on the unit"

And then t the person on the other end reads from a script:

"please check to see if it is plugged in"

--- or ---

every question is answered with "please wait while I put you on hold", then they go find someone who knows something.

Favorite responses (feel free to use them):

"Can you transfer this call to the person you are getting answers from?"
"Is an adult home"
"Is your mom home"

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry about that, I know very little about car motors & I really hate this one.

She never drives it and the one time I did, I chipped the custom
paint job.