Cussing? yay or nay?

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Hey I have something I would like to bring up. (Don't I always?) At our local high school a student can tell a teacher to fu** off 7 times before they get written up. Okay, I say, but I have a better idea. Let's just let everyone cuss. I mean, I don't really use many of the words except maybe the SH** word when I stub my toe or something like that, but what would happen if we just let it be? The student can cuss and I can too. No biggie? Who decided they were bad words anyway? <br /> Then I find this article Cussing that says that cussing can actually bring employees closer and they work better together if they cuss at each other. My husband was in the military, worked in machine shops and construction and he cusses very well due to the fact you needed that language to work in that environment. Noone hears you unless there's a cuss word thrown in. Its just so darn natural for him. So, what is the big deal now that teens are getting so darn comfortable with it? <br /> Am I sounding rediculous? Is this insane thinking? I mean, what the heck? Let's all cuss!<br /> What do you think? :D <br />Bassy

11 footer

Lieutenant
Re: Cussing? yay or nay?

I go to a vocational highschool.<br /><br />I don't know what the rule is, but in my autobody shop both teachers drop the F-bomb and say sh!t all the time. All of us in the shop can do the same, within reason.<br /><br />I has a english teacher last year who would would say sh!t all the time and droped a few F's threw the year. <br /><br />It all depends on the teacher and type of kids in the class.

NathanY

Commander

People that cuss have a limited vocabulary. They do not know how to express themselves.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Amazing! So waht you're saying, Bassy, is that some little mutant offspring can tell his superiors to "F*** OFF" seven times before getting written up, but if he wears a tee with the words "JESUS SAVES", he gets sent home to change, while being written up? The two scenareos were not in your original post, but the latter HAS happened many times.<br /><br />Government schools are becomming the tools of anarchists....plain and simple.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

You got it 12footer. That's the educational system we live in.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Right on nate!!!!!<br />I work construction and I cussed for 28 yrs. I prolly could of made a few of you blush. Both me and my wife decided to stop cussing 4+ yrs ago. My kid came to us and said it was awesome how his parents were the only ones out of all his friends that didnt cuss all the time.Made us feel good.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Cussing is a means of expression but the most crude means possible. When used infrequently they have a greater effect than those who implement them in every sentence that spews from their mouth.<br /><br />Your school is doing everyone a disservice bassy by letting these little creeps pop off to teachers in this gutteral fashion. It teaches them nothing, it allows for disrespect, and it makes the teachers impotent to affect discipline and order. Shame on your school board for letting this type of disturbing activity take place without immediate correction. No offence but home schooling looks like a more and more viable option. It is supposed to be a SCHOOL, you know - higher learning. What is graduated out of your school is what the public now has to deal with.<br /><br />Not trying to bust you up personally, I truely feel sorry for you, your job must be impossible. Just a point, not all schools allow this type of behavior, the ones that don't are the most successful. Sorry to hear of this for your sake Bassy. :(

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Its just getting worse. That's why I'm glad to be teaching independent study. None of those problems to deal with. If they get disrespectful they get dropped. Period. But I've taught in the classroom and I won't again due to this environment.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Makes me glad I work in elementary school. I hear too much even then. The worst, sadly is from teachers, but NEVER in front of the students. No, I don't hold it against them. I'm not personally offended by this, just think it rather sad. (The worst is a couple of older ladies, by the way!) I'm glad my school does not tolerate this. Crudeness/profanity verbalized just cheapens our language. And humor that requires crudeness is not nearly as funny as good clean humor. <br /><br />I cussed with the best of them all the way through high school. It is so hard to quit. Now 26 years later and it is still a struggle. (When I do slip it is under my breath, but I'm not proud of this) It is so much better for kids to grow up in an environment where they don't often hear this. Wish I did.<br /><br />It is one thing when you get flustered when things go suddenly bad; at least there is a pretense of justification when a sudden crisis presents itself. To be vulgar "just because" is ugly. <br /><br />I have to agree: Cussing is a sure sign of inability to communicate effectively. Slipping occasionally is a normal moment of human weakness. Routine use is a sign of willful lack of self control. Either way it does reveal a LOT about what is inside, doesn't it? <br /><br />I don't buy that it is necessary anywhere. I've worked several places where profanity was the norm, but I neither used it nor flinched when others did. Didn't seem to bother anyone that I didn't except one woman boss. Talk about crude.... I think she drove a broom to work. :D Maybe I'm just sexist, but it seems to me that those who cuss with the deepest biting anger are bitter women, though those are fortunately few and far between. Generally females are more dignified than men in this regard.<br /><br /><br />Now, so as to let everyone know that I an not all together lacking in humor here, I'll tell this true story about my grand dad: It was probably mid to late 1890's when my grandparents moved for the summer to a lumber mill where Grandpa was the head mechanic and Grandma the cook. Grandma got tired of all the language- this WAS after all a lumber camp in the mountains, right? As all the men were gathered for the evening meal, Grandma says to Grandpa, "Andy go tell those men to stop their cussing." Grandpa, without flinching grabs a couple kettles to bang together and quiets the men down. He loudly announced, Men, stop all your G@% D@&*%# cussing! It sounds like H#**! What a way with words!

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I believe nate is right about people who cuss have a small vocabulary<br /><br />I too was in the trades for over thirty years workin both residential and commercial!!! It was more prevelent in the commercial end of it and i've done my share of cussing in the trades amongest men!!!<br /><br />What gets me is how the girls cuss today!!! Some girls have more of a garbage mouth then men!!! ;) :cool: <br /><br />And I difinitly do not tolerate it in my house!!!

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

I also dont hold it against anybody but I always have hated anything that controls me so I made it about being in control of my words.........Being a youth leader at our church for a year also showed me a thing or two about how teens look at us adults and if your in a position where kids look up to you, well one slip up that normally doesnt happen is a excuse for them to swear all the time.Seen it happen at a huge youth rally last year. A very popular youth speaker lost his temper on stage in front of about 3000 teens and let one slip.( said he was there to kick the devil @$#) At first I wasnt even fazed and kinda was like right on dude, but later that night talking to my kids I relized they saw it as it was ok to speak like that since the speaker did.

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's pretty bad when a 23 year old can say, "kids these days" huh?

crab bait

Captain

the decline an your on the frontline..<br />and the option is to give up..<br /><br /> COOL..!! AN-ARKY WON..!!<br /><br />i think,, it's about time..what da F,, if CHENEY can then the public can..

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

It sure don't help matters when todays music (if you want to call it that) contain abusive language. They call it free speech, I call it non-sense! Music and songs are a form of entertainment plain and simple. <br /><br />Kids of today learn how to street talk, but that is not what is needed to have a quality of life. If you can't understand what words mean, you will lose! Ignorance today in no excuse. Try using those words in a court and see what happens. If you don't learn the correct use of, and the meaning of the words spoken, your ignorance of knowing basic educational skills will hurt you tremdously. <br /><br />With todays parents/children, teachers are just glorified babysitters. A teacher cannot teach if just one student breaks the attention of the class. It was once where parents believed what the teacher said about their childrens activities in school. Nowdays, the parents believe their kids and call the teachers liars. And everyone wonders what is wrong! Time to get out the paddles and line them all up to set an example.<br /><br />I know the endorphins in my brain were always turned on by the pain felt on my butt. Is that why some parents called paddles a "Switch" :D

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yep, must confess I'm a cusser.<br />'Specially watching my team get killed by Northwestern last night...<br />Oh well, there's always next year (the lament of Buckeye fans everywhere)<br />Not proud of it, wish I could quit it. 10 years as a lineman probably didn't help... Being an OSU fan definitely doesn't help.

LadyFish

Admiral

NAY!<br /><br />I attended Catholic school, cussing was not premitted. At home, if we cussed there were pretty severe consequences. Especially, if cussed as a manner of disrespect such as that student did.<br /><br />To me, its a matter of respect. Something that isn't found in schools or at home anymore.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I agree Ladyfish, I got my butt beat for even saying fudge. Wasn't the word, but what it was intended to be and used for. I still don't like wood, leather, and SOAP!

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Nate in AR:<br /> People that cuss have a limited vocabulary. They do not know how to express themselves.
Like someone once told me "cussing is the crutch of the conversational cripple."<br /><br />I do however believe that a cuss word often say's something that would be difficult to say otherwise. Cussing in jokes at times lends something to the joke. Having said which I find many stand up comedians gross as all they do is try shock with bad language. Everytime the audience hears a cuss word they laugh??? All must be done in good taste, in context and without offending. Cussing for the sake of cussing is unacceptable. Some people I know are unable to string 5 words together without cussing.<br /><br />Bassy this is a problem with us also, just think of what is being released from the school system into society. The school system is not to blame, in my opinion parents who abdicate their responsibility as role models are. Parents fail to teach their kids right and wrong prefering to rely on teachers to do so. The kids are off the beaten track before you even get them.<br /><br />The smaller kids are brought up on TV, need one say more. <br /><br /><br />Andrew

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I have to say I don't run into parents like you all in my experience. Wish I did. Its a shame that parents have given up their rights to be the parents and are the student's friend instead. THESE KIDS NEED GUIDANCE! NOT ANOTHER FRIEND! If their child misbehaves, doesn't do his/her work, is disrespectful and I meet with the parent, guess what their response is to me? " WELL, HECK, I DID THAT AS A KID AND I TURNED OUT OKAY". WHAT DO I DO WITH THAT?<br /> I really don't feel open cussing would help anything. But I get so frustrated at the way things are in schools and I don't see things getting better. I really want to teach in the classroom, but all my time is spent managing kids behavior. So, I choose out of the classroom. There is a demand for independent study teachers. In my district alone there were 800 students on independent study last year and we'll have that again, if not more, this year. BECAUSE KIDS CAN'T ACT CALM AND RESPONSIBLE IN THE CLASSROOM.<br />Bassy

Carphunter

Commander

Well Bassy, I have to say what the %&*^ are you talkin about, I mean @#$%. People are always saying *&^% and #^%$, it just makes me so mad that I wanna say *$%^ !@#$ing %*!@ %^&* )!@# !@#$ *$^% #^@# !&^% and #$@#.<br /><br />Boy, that was a mouthful. ;) <br /><br />Have a great @&*%ing day. :)