Cussing? yay or nay?

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Cussing? yay or nay?

Carp.... You have a @^%&&**#% %#@#$&**&ing day yourself! ;)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Having been in the military so long, all I did was cuss with the occasional decent word thrown in. Now that I am in customer service, I went through a serious weening process and I don't cuss nearly as much now. I'll only cuss around the house or with friends, but in public or dealing with customers, I don't swear at all, very unprofessional.

gaugeguy

Captain

Same here Jason. What helped me stop cussing as much was having kids. If I ever heard one of my boys tell a teacher or another adult F-You, they'd be picking their teeth up off the ground.

tylerin

Commander

You've got to be versatile. You never know when you need to talk like a @#$%$# truck driver. You have to know when not to talk like one as well. :D No disrespect to truck drivers. Just a terminology

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I work in the oilfield (oilfield trash) and when you come back from working offshore, my language is terrible. F- this, F-that, move that F-n thing.<br /><br />I hardly ever cuss in front of my kids, I dont want them to sound that way.<br /><br />I really believe when you cuss a lot, it loses its impact, and thus its purpose. Cussing is a way to get someones attention.<br /><br />I dont think it should be allowed in schools, solely because schools should be held to a higher standard.<br /><br />There is a right place and a wrong place for everything, and school is a wrong place for cussing.<br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

At one time, in Great Britian, such words were commonly used and accepted.<br /><br />When my Norman ancestors ruled there, my other ancestors, the Angles and Saxons often used them ("Anglo-Saxon" profanity) to insult and provoke the Normans, so the Normans ruled them "profane" and forbade their use.<br /><br />Now, hundreds of years later, they are still considered unacceptable in "polite" company, though other words describing the exact same thing or action are acceptable in the same situations.<br /><br />This creates an interesting advantage to using those words. They lend passion and emphasis to statements when used rarely and in appropriate circumstances. <br /><br />Our Vice President got a lot of press attention when he used one to lend passion and emphasis to a comment to a Senator who had grossly offended him. <br /><br />Over-use severely dilutes the impact of such terms. That's too bad because we then need expanded vocabularies to express the passion that a simple Anglo-Saxon expletive can convey.<br /><br />Please don't use them here. They still do offend many and they are still against our rules.

aspeck

Staff member

Student Is Arrested for Bad Language<br /><br />Tue Oct 12,10:55 AM ET<br /> <br /> Strange News - AP<br /><br />WILMINGTON, N.C. - A 17-year-old high school student faced a possible 30 days in jail after school resource officers arrested him for using foul language with a teacher.<br /><br /> <br /><br />Ashley High School student Glenn Gattis said he used bad language after he got in trouble with the teacher for being late to class Aug. 25. School resource officers intervened and charged him with disorderly conduct, saying his language was meant to provoke violence.<br /><br />Gattis and his parents do not deny he cursed and acknowledged he has had other disciplinary problems at school. But they said the misdemeanor criminal charge was an overreaction and have hired a lawyer to fight the charge.<br /><br />Lt. J.L. Simmons, who oversees resource officers for the sheriff's office, said it is not uncommon for deputies to cite students for disorderly conduct and fighting.<br /><br />"When things get reckless, we have to do something," he said. "It happens all the time."<br /><br />School officials declined to comment.<br /><br />Gattis has an Oct. 20 court date and was also suspended from school for three days. <br />_____________________________________________<br /><br />Sounds like the right way to go here. But listen to the parents, "yea, he cursed, and he has been a disciplinary problem, but you still shouldn't punish him. That wouldn't be fair." UURRGGHHH! Let him learn that actions bring consequences!

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I like to cuss and make people think I am stupid. That way it comes as a complete surprise, when it comes time to compete against each other. They think I am stupid, and get handed their 244. <- Just use the shift key to decode that part. :p

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

In certain settings in don't mean 4h1t, but most of the time it's just offensive and disrespectful. My 15yo daugher uses the word "frigging" all the frigging time; I told her if I ever heard of her using it in front of adults or young children, it would be treated the same as if she used the real f-word. Same with "crap."