Curious Medical Question

knobby

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Curious Medical Question

Thoracic outlet syndrome, ask your local sawbone. Definitely linked to pinched nerve, is it worse or does it happen sooner when you're head is tilted to one side or the other? Likely caused from spurs on your thoracic discs.

gonfishn

Commander

I had a similiar problem with my shoulder and they did trigger point injections..This is a procedure similiar to acupunture but vibration is used to separate and relax the pressing muscles areas involved..<br /><br />Did not work for me..You may want to have a cat scan done. Calcified bone can also be pressing against nerve endings to cause this..then again GG a good assessment to..lol

gonfishn

Commander

PS....the doc may give ya some pain meds but many times its just always going to be there..My drug of choice is some perco's ,a little mojo and the pain seems to always goe away..CH let a doc do an eval on ya..he will know what to do..

LadyFish

Admiral

Carpy, I have this all the time and mine switches from right to left hand/arm as far as tingling and numbnous. I know what mine is from. A few years ago I fractured C-5 and C-6 in my neck and I have pinched nerves and calcium deposits.<br /><br />Ocasssionally, I have to do PT which Mr. LF thinks is a hoot. It consists of a bag full of water 5-8 lbs. that hangs on one side of the door. On the other side is a sling I have to put my head in. I try to sit there hanging from the door for about 30 minutes at a time. It looks ridiculous but it works.<br /><br />I opted to see my chiropracter first to see if PT would help and it does for the short term. Then it flares up again simply by turning my head to quick. I know that one day down the road I will be looking at surgery. For now, I will put up with it. <br /><br />Good luck. :)

Skinnywater

Commander

My hands used to fall asleep also. I went to the doctor about it 6-8 years ago.<br />He was a good one and spent time explaining the mechanics of the damage.<br />Us guys that swing a hammer, use hand tools and otherwise work with our hands cause damage to soft and hard tissue, joints and nerves. It's a cummulative effect. Some is permanent damage and others is condition induced.<br />My greatest pain that would keep me up nights and cause numbness in my hands was nerve damage.<br />In my case it was severe and was caused by using a t-post driver while fencing in my pastures.<br />The pain and numbness lasted for years, I'd just keep working through it. In my case very little could be done.<br />However, amazingly 95% of my chronic aches and pains that I've had since my rough and tumble days have gone away.<br />The RX has proven to be quiting smoking years ago, 3-5 days a week working out, good diet and a conscience effort to live long and healthy.<br />My hands no longer hurt.<br /><br />I did get tennis elbow a couple months ago from casting and catching to many fish this year, but that's mending nicely.

Carphunter

Commander

.......well, for those that may be interested, I finally went to the doctor, and he sent me to the hospital to have an EMG nerve conduction study.<br /><br />I have been diagnosed with moderate to severe Capal Tunnel. They are gonna try medication first,.........If I don't respond to that, then injections in the wrist, and if that don't work, surgery.<br /><br />I'm just glad they figured out what was happening. <br /><br />It could always be worse. :) <br /><br />Thanks for the responses.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

guess you better get used to doing stuff with left<br />hand carp, like using a mouse for one...is it<br />curable???

gaugeguy

Captain

Carpal Tunnel :confused: I thought your mom told you that you would go cross-eyed, not get carpal tunnel...you got off light :D :D

aspeck

Staff member

Carpy tunnel - man, here all this time I thought is was just a problem with the nerve between yer ears! HA!<br /><br />Seriously, Super Carp, that will put a hurtin on the arrow sticking this year if you don't respond. If you need me to come and fill yer tags fer ya, let me know! I know all the deer in your area are cheering and hoping for surgery - all the more reason to stick em in the freezer!

Carphunter

Commander

Well guys, I refuse to have surgery til after deer season. Figured I put up with it this long, whats a couple more months. ;) <br /><br />MY, The Docs don't seem too concerned. Apparently this is common in many people. I sure don't want surgery, but I can't keep going like this.<br /><br />"Carpy Tunnel".............Now thats funny right there, I don't care who you are! :D

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

forget the quacks, other than surgery is there<br />any chance it would heal?

NOSLEEP

Commander

I skipped out on a surgery date 18 years ago for<br />the same thing caused by heavy use of a impact<br />wrench. Sever enough that I could not open my<br />hand. After 60 days in a bandage I got the use of<br />my hand back. And now all these years later I have<br />no problems with it. Had to leave the bench over <br />it though.I am glad I never had the surgery.

Carphunter

Commander

MY, I asked the Doc what would happen if I did nothing. He said that I could possibly lose all sensation in the nerves in my hand. Also, He says that the muscles would start to deteriorate to the point that my right hand would be useless. My Carpy Tunnel is severe enough that it has started to affect the muscles in my hand.<br /><br />Basically, my only hope seems to be medication, or the injections directly into my wrist.<br /><br />NOSLEEP, I really don't know what to do at this point. If my Doc recommends surgery, I guess thats what i'll do. Kinda need my right hand. ;)

gonfishn

Commander

CH..Injections are good for temporary relief but long term I wouldn't recommend it..Medicine has come a long way from the probe and gut days..<br /><br />I look at it this way..Its only going to get worse and by delaying it to long may cause perment long term repercussions. Do you know anyone who can shoot a bow accuratly one handed?? By waiting you may find out..It would be better to lose one season of huntn Bambi then never again be able to sight in with your bow..

Carphunter

Commander

Actually, GF, there is a fella from Kentucky that is the host of "Kentucky Afield" that has one arm. He holds his bow with his left hand, and pulls the bow back with his teeth. :eek: .........its unbelievable watchin this guy. He kills monster bucks every year.<br /><br />Losing a year of huntin is a near death sentence for me. Some of you guys may not understand this. But, I am also not a complete idiot. If its absolutely necessary, and in no way can be avoided, then I will have the surgery before the season. Otherwise, it will definitely wait. At this point, they don't know if surgery is required anyway.<br /><br />One way or another I will be chasin them Whitetails through the woods this fall. ;) <br /><br />GG, I used to shoot fingers, (could be the cause of my Carpy Tunnel), now I shoot a release.

Carphunter

Commander

Sorry MY, we must have been posting at the same time.<br /><br />Only if you are handicapped. I don't know if a temporary disabilty would let me qualify.