Curious Medical Question

Carphunter

Commander
I know this is not a medical forum, but I was just curious if anyone else has had this problem.<br />About a year ago, I noticed that my right hand would "fall asleep" when I did various things, like holding a fishing rod, weedeating, writing, ect. Well, here recently, it seems to happen more often. I have talked to a few people that think that I may have some nerve damage. I recently was diagnosed with a pinched nerve in my neck, but that was on the left side of my neck, and has since healed. Anybody ever had this happen?<br /><br />BTW, I have an appointment to see my doctor.<br /><br />........and yes, I know, I just gave Guageguy and Tylerin another reason to ride on me. ;)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Curious Medical Question

Oh Carpy, have you ever opened the door now.<br /><br />All I can say is get ready cause it's headed your way.<br /><br />BTW, mine does that also and I don't have to be doing anything specific for it to happen.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

see the doc carp, could be a blood flow restriction<br />or a clot like GF had in his leg.<br />btw using yur left hand isn't cheating ;P

gaugeguy

Captain

Not touching this one Carp, and Tylerin is on vacation this week, so you may be safe...<br /><br />Sounds like a pinched nerve to me though ;)

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br />Thats the point, its always better when its something new.
Quantity over quality :confused: <br /><br />Look on the bright side, it'll give those callouses(sp) on your right hand a chance to heal ;)

Carphunter

Commander

My dang hands falling asleep just movin this little mouse around. :mad: <br /><br />35 Years old, and i'm fallin apart.<br /><br />My main concern is my right hand is the one I pull the Bowstring back with. ;)

NOSLEEP

Commander

Carphunter I have been experiencing the same <br />thing lately. My right arm and hand gets that<br />tingling feeling much to often for my liking.<br />I think i have a pinched nerve in my right <br />shoulder that can be very painful if I turn my<br />head and raise my right arm a certain way. I hate<br />going to a doctor and this thing has been bugging<br />me for months now.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

May be a carpal tunnel issue, carphunter. Fallin asleep is usually a nerve issue not a circulation issue. I'm sure the Doc will get to the bottom of it. <br />Good Luck

NOSLEEP

Commander

YA carp, he'll cut ya wide open and dig it out<br />with a spoon....

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by SBN:<br />You can't help yourself can ya? :D
I was sitting here twitching like a heroin freak going cold turkey :D <br /><br />I am not worthy, I am not worthy :rolleyes:

Carphunter

Commander

Nosleep, I had a pinched nerve in my neck a few months ago. It hurt like heck when I raised my arm or turned my head a certain way. Doctor gave me some sort of steroids, and many pain killers, and the problem went away. I never had the tingling sensation with that particular pinched nerve though.<br /><br />I think Boomyal is correct. A fella at work has a Wife that is a Physical Therapist and she thinks its a nerve issue also.

gonfishn

Commander

Ole doc here..Man could I have fun with this one...30 years ago and if you were a Marine that came into my sick call I would have,first see how many shots i could hit ya with,then would give you some suppositories to take by mouth three times a day and come back in two days..<br />But since its our buddy here i will lean towards a pressure point issue..Be it arm,wrist or shoulder..In certain positions a muscle or tendon may be pressing against a nerve.

gaugeguy

Captain

Jeez Gonfishn, funny how the same treatment is applied for a pinched nerve and the "morning after Susie"?? You forgot to tell him after the barrage of shots, you would conveniently send his shot record to Antarctica :D

oddjob

Commander

Carp, and everyone. I had surgery for carpal tunnel syndrom in my right wrist when I was 26. I'm now 41. I know now after seeing a Chiropractor for the last 11 years that that surgery was probably uneccessary. I still have a small degree of carpal tunnel in both hands. But you would never no from shaking my hand. A pinched nerve in your neck will affect blood circulation and nerve compression and nerve inflamation. Matter of fact I can sometimes tell that my neck (vertibrae) is out of alignment or counter-rotated by the sensitivity of my carpal tunnel in my hands. If my neck is out, it will almost always affect and enhance the carpal tunnel effects in my hands. The meds the doc gave you took care of the major inflammation but your nerve may still be pinched do to mis-alignment in your neck.<br /><br /> I rarely need to see a regular doc. other than my physical its been 4 years.<br /><br />Not all chiro's are as good as mine. I found this out first hand. There are quacks in every field. Find a good one, and give him a try. Ask your friends for a result proven professional.<br /><br />And in the meanwhile, try to keep your wrist in a neutral position as much as possible at work or rest. Take frequent breaks ....go ahead and use your left hand. Hell, after 15 years I've become completely ampidextriuos(sp). <br /><br />I originally went for siatic syndrom....which he and I( thru exercise) keep at bay all these years.<br /><br />You didnt complain of any pain and thats a good indication that it may be minor. Good luck. <br /><br />PS- it aint cheatin if you dont tell the other hand ;) .

Carphunter

Commander

Thanks for the replies fella's.<br /><br />Gonfishn, I sure ain't no Marine. I'm just a simple little red-neck Hoosier that likes to eat wild animals. :p <br /><br />Just curious, you say a muscle or tendon may be pressing against a nerve, what would the Docs do about this?

gonfishn

Commander

Don't get me going here GG..I will start flashing and give all my secrets away..Can they prosecute one after 30 years for the things I use to do to those poor grunts who happened to enter my sickcall when I was on call and when I had an attitude going on.<br />In all seriousness CH trying it sideways or upside down does not make it fell any better.. :D

gaugeguy

Captain

Statute of limitations has got you covered, GF :D <br /><br />Carpy, did you ever think that maybe smearing that red paint all over your body is causing this (lead based paint maybe) :p