Cruisers Incorporated 1960? 18ft.

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: Cruisers Incorporated 1960? 18ft.

I love the boat and think you got a good deal on it.... A friend of mine has one very similar that he restored.

On the motor...

I am all for reliability and fuel economy, but, IMHO, part of the charm of these old boats is the vintage/period power...
Not sure if would lose value, but I think it would lose some of its character....

Not trying to be opinionated... Its your boat - so do what makes you feel safe, comfortable and happy... Just my .02.

^^^ what he said ^^^ Also the boat sat dry for a long time, water will be expected until you leave her in the water a while for the wood to swell. I think you stole this boat, it looks great!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The boat is very light. That 75 HP evinrude will make that boat FLY!!! They are very dependable motors and parts are still very available. I have a vintage glass boat with the 40 HP "Sister" to that motor and it pushes my boat with 700 lbs of passengers @ 25MPH. If I had your motor she would be SCARY!!!

Willyclay

Captain

A belated "Welcome" to the iboats forum which I consider the single, best resource for recreational boaters. The members here are great and the experts can help you solve any problem with your boat, motor or trailer. Wow, what a beauty you found with that classic Cruisers, Inc. lapstrake boat. The pictures took me on a sentimental journey. Good luck with your project!

Last edited:

Ned L

Commander

In my opinion, ... I don't see a problem with your gas tank idea, especially if can 'modify' only the framing and not the seating surface itself, and do it well and 'tastefully', but even the seating surface shouldn't scare away any serious buyers when the time comes, Seats aren't major in the whole picture of things. Original is nice for them, but they can be replaced without much issue of the "all original" status Again, .. me personally, it wouldn't bother me to have the tank there (though I might reconsider if I were as smoker as the tank will be vented, and the farther away the better with that.) -- Yep, Ned is it.

It just occurred to me, if there is a "center support" under the seat that goes vertically between the keel batten (top of the keel) and the underside of the seat I would recommend NOT removing it to fit a tank. That support may well be there both to support the seat AND to keep the bottom of the boat from flexing up and down in a chop. Yes you can add framing to support the seat, but you will not be addressing the supporting of the bottom of the boat.