crownline 266 ltd 7.4l GL volvo penta starts but wont stay running

Crowney

Cadet
Crownline 266 ltd 454 7.4L GL volvo penta duo prop. The boat fires up and then it stops. I can not restart it. It does spray gas into the carb when I press the throttle down. It happened a few times before but would fire up after 15 or 20 minutes. This last time nothing. I just changed the spark plugs, rotor, cap and awaiting new wires. Recently changed the oil and replaced the fuel/water separator. I added the stabilizer and added dri fuel to the tank. I would like to know how to test the fuel relay, fuel pump etc... prior to just purchasing and replacing expensive items. I can find alot about the mercruiser but not much on the volvos. any help and suggestions greatly aprreciated. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: 7.4GLPHUS

Last edited by a moderator:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: crownline 266 ltd 7.4l GL volvo penta starts but wont stay running

Crownline 266 ltd 7.4l GL volvo penta doesn't tell us much.
Which 7.4GL do you have.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 7.4GL.jpg
    7.4GL.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1

Crowney

Cadet

7.4L GL PHUS serial # 411012060

1995 crownline.

Don S

Do you have spark when it dies. You said you have gas, but fire? IF not, do you have voltage to the plus side of the coil when it dies?

Crowney

Cadet

I will check it tomorrow and let you know.

Crowney

Cadet

Does anyone know a good source either internet or for me to purchase a repair manual for the Volvo Penta motor. Motor specs are above.

I used to out fit the police cars with all electrics, radios etc... So I know my way around the electrical systems. A manual specifying the different parts of relays and diodes would be a huge time saver.

Thanks

Don S

You can download the manuals for your engine free here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2360521#post2360521 just scroll down to the HU manuals. If you want to buy the paper manuals, go here. http://www.volvopentastore.com/1995...*****.935126825--store_id.366--view_id.366363

The electrical paper manual would be handy, as the online version do not have the full wiring diagrams in them. But they do include wiring diagrams for each individual section (Ignition, fuel, trim, etc.)

Crowney

Cadet

Update:

I have spark. Fuel pump relay does not function as per the manual test. Steps 6 and 7 when the 12v source is applied to the 2 points is the problem. Getting a new one and then will re-evaluate.

Don S

The boat fires up and then it stops. I can not restart it. It does spray gas into the carb when I press the throttle down.

If you have gas in the carb and it squirts gas when you operate the throttle, then it should run even with the fuel pump not running.

Crowney

Cadet

Your correct. I just replaced relay. I checked for fuel being sprayed into carb via throttle lever and there is no fuel being sprayed into carb anymore. My next thoughts are to check for:
closed fuel valve
faulty anti syphon valve
bad fuel lines
bad fuel pump.

I just replaced the fuel filter so I know this is ok.

Crowney

Cadet

Don, thx.

I just checked. The fuel pump is running when jumped from terminal points 87 and 30. I already replaced the pumps relay. Can and where would I find the circuit breaker / fuse on the ignition switch. My next step is to see that the ignition switch is sending proper signal to the terminal point for the relay.

Another thought? When i replaced my fuel filter I did not fill it with any fresh fuel. I figured the pump would cycle and fill the filter in just a small time period. I am going to pull the filter and see if it is full.

After evaluating the ignition signal I will check to see if the fuel pump is sending fuel to the carb. If it is sending fuel then the problem must lye with the fuel line or carb being clogged.

Is my method proper for finding the problem for no fuel being sprayed by the carb?????

Don S

When you jump 30 and 87 terminals, and the pump runs, that means the circuit breaker is fine.
If you run the pump with a jumper for 5 to 10 seconds, you should hear the carb fill with gas. If not, you may have a leaky gasket on the fuel filter when you replaced the filter. Didn't leave the old gasket on the filter housing did you?

Crowney

Cadet

I will check the fuel filter. I thought the gasket for the fuel filter was just like that on an oil filter - the rubber oring that is part of the filter. If there is another gasket then yes I left it on and will need to buy a new one. I did not see one when I removed the old filter. I will get under and look up to see if an old gasket in stuck on.

Don S

The gasket is part of the filter, but it can come loose, and does quite often. Double gaskets leak and make one mell of a hess when it happens to an oil filter.

Crowney

Cadet

I just pulled the fuel filter. The filter has zero gas in it. There are no gaskets for the fuel filter / fuel - water separator. The filter has the same instructions on the side as an oil filter. A few drops of oil on the rubber seal on top of the filter and tighten down. Should I fill the filter with gas and then get the boat running. Seems like the boat started fine burned the gas left in the carb and lines and died out due to no gas after just a few seconds.

Don S

There are no gaskets for the fuel filter / fuel - water separator.

There better be a gasket in the top of the filter element that seals the element to the filter body.

Crowney

Cadet

yeah the gasket is part of the fuel water separator. It is rubber. I filled the fuel water separator with fuel and the boat fired up. I have it hooked to the hose so I did not want to run it long on land. I am going to take it to the river now and see how it runs. Might have just been the fuel pump relay and no gas getting into filter. both problems are fixed. I will update tonight on running, idle rpms.

Don S

As long as you have water going to the raw water pump, you can run it for hours with no problem.

Crowney

Cadet

Don thank you so much for all the help. The boat ran great. Started it up fine multiple times and ran strong back to the marina.