Crossing lake Champlain

matt167

Captain
Would it be crazy to cross lake Champlain in a 14’ boat? My fiancé and I are probably taking a boat to the Ausable chasm area in the Adirondack’s for our honeymoon. There are some things that she wants to do in Burlington area of Vermont so we would need to catch a ferry. But what about crossing by boat and renting a slip? Launching from port Douglas. It shows about 14 miles across

I may have my big 18’ StarCraft offshore running if I can convince her. But otherwise just the 14’ runabout with 25 hp.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I wouldn't.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... As with all boatin' adventures,...... it depends on the weather,....

On a nice clear calm day, I wouldn't think twice 'bout it,.....

Years ago, I was headin' back to Watertown, from up here in Maine, with my ole tin fishin' barge in-tow,......
I had to do a service call at Plattsburg, 'n rather than runnin' up 'round the lake, 'n back down, I took the ferry,.....
Still got pictures, somewhere, of the truck, 'n boat, on the ferry in the lake,....

Btw,..... Yer lady loves waterfalls, she's gonna love the ride down through the Ausable Chasm, as it's darn near waterfalls all the way from Placid, to Plattsburg,.....

matt167

Captain
Ayuh,..... As with all boatin' adventures,...... it depends on the weather,....

On a nice clear calm day, I wouldn't think twice 'bout it,.....

Years ago, I was headin' back to Watertown, from up here in Maine, with my ole tin fishin' barge in-tow,......
I had to do a service call at Plattsburg, 'n rather than runnin' up 'round the lake, 'n back down, I took the ferry,.....
Still got pictures, somewhere, of the truck, 'n boat, on the ferry in the lake,....

Btw,..... Yer lady loves waterfalls, she's gonna love the ride down through the Ausable Chasm, as it's darn near waterfalls all the way from Placid, to Plattsburg,.....
Ausable chasm is 99% why we’re going to the Adirondacks and staying in Keesville. We’re also going to high falls gorge

I took the ferry many years ago when I went to Burlington