Critique my running engine (video + pics)

bben76

Seaman

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Critique my running engine (video + pics)

the first thing i'm going to say is that they way you are increasing the speed is wrong, all you are doing is messing with the butterflys, and not advancing the spark, you have to use the complete linkage. disconnect the cable and do it properly.

bben76

Seaman

ok. didn't realize that, thnx.

did it sound "normal" other than that?

tashasdaddy

i didn't here anything abnormal. idles smoother than my 71 50, but it's a 2 cylinder, and they idle rough.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Revving the engine confused the issue. I could'nt really tell, but it looked like the bottom cylinder was loseing spark at idle.

bben76

Seaman

Alright, took another video. Notice that I have good spark when the engine first starts, after I put it in gear and give it some gas and then bring it back to an idle that I've lost spark on the bottom cylinder...just happened to be checking spark on that cylinder, who knows what's going on with the other ones.

Knowing that the amplifier is good and the points have been properly set what is most likely to be causing this?

She wants to run, just is being slightly held back as you can see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp7dAiR0WHE

(p.s. this video should load a lot quicker b/c it's been optimized)

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

What have you got that spark tester gapped at? I can't tell anything with the engine revving up, and down with no load. Take that spark tester out of the system, and try a timing light. Just leave the engine at idle.

tashasdaddy

keep reving it like that and you could get a face full of connecting rod. not over 1500 on muffs. check the amplifer after it is warm.

bben76

Seaman

the spark tester is at about 1/2 inch. will leave at idle, don't want connecting rod in the face!

will check timing.