Cricket Scores Australia V New Zealand

orca

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cricket Scores Australia V New Zealand

Well, looks like the match will go into day 5, which is a compliment to Les Burdette, the curator, <br />Hey, Ross J, any truth in the rumour that the Kiwis have shipped out a plane load of Mouris who will hold the biggest harka of all time in a bid to bring rain. :cool:

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Whaley, there's no shortage of rain in NZ, so maybe it works ? :D

Dunaruna

Admiral

Congrats on the one dayer kiwis - well deserved.<br /><br />Brilliant catch by Sinclair!<br /><br />Aldo

orca

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, great game guys. <br />Lets hope that this standard of cricket keeps up for the rest of the season. good work!!

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

So it's over? Who won? Score?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Mr.Ladyfish:<br /> So it's over? Who won? Score?
Is it over? Yes and no. Australia & NZ are playing a series of games - test matches that can go for up to 5 days and one day matches. The test matches can obviously get boring sometimes but winners are considered world class, tactics play a big roll (go Aussies!). One dayers are much more interesting and quicker (sort of like a baseball game - smashing the ball out of the park) but they are considered to be less important than test matches. Australia won the test, NZ won the one dayer.<br />Both types of matches are continuing over summer. The end result is usually tallied at the end of the season.<br /><br />The score? Dunno - can't remember.<br /><br />To my NZ friends, did I explain it right?<br /><br />Aldo

orca

Chief Petty Officer

G,Day. The score really doesent matter, It is how the game is played that is important. (Just try explaining that to 90,000 fans packed into the MCG).

Dunaruna

Admiral

Aus just won the second one dayer - the final game will be the series decider.<br /><br />Bad luck kiwis', it was a good & close game Personally I think you guys deserved to win - but we'll take the honors anyway ;) .<br /><br />Aldo

orca

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, great game, I think the Aussies will find it difficult at the Gabba. I think that the Ponting and the guys expected to romp this series in.

aspeck

Staff member

Can someone explain the scoring to me? When in Ghana I end up listening to BBC alot - so I am constantly hearing the cricket scores. But 300 for 7 wickets means nothing to me. I would appreciate a simple (if there is such a thing) explanation of the game and the scoring. It will help my sanity greatly in less than a week.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Is there a cable channel in the U.S. that shows this once in a while? It sounds like it might be interesting to watch. Without being able to see it, I am as frustrated as a clawless cat in a room full of mice.

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class

phew, now thats an asker, quick explanation of the game! Let's try. 2 teams, 11 players each. 1 player in each team is a wicket keeper (sort of the same as the catcher in baseball). The other ten do the fielding (catching, fetching the ball) and alternate at bowling the ball to the batsman. (sort of pitching) <br />An innings consists of 1 team going in to bat and protecting their stumps (wickets) and trying to make the largest number of runs while the other team is trying to bowl the batsmen out or take their wicket. A wicket can be taken by either the bowler hitting the stumps when the batsman misses the ball, the batsman hitting the ball into the air and the ball being caught by a fielder or the batsman can be run out.<br /><br />Runs are made when the batsman hits the ball and runs to the stumps on the opposite side of the pitch. The fielding side obviously tries to prevent him scoring those runs. <br /><br />In the fielding side, each designated bowler bowls a number of overs to the batsman. Each over consists of 6 balls. The bowler can only bowl one over, then sit 1 out, then bowl another over.<br /><br />The score is always presented in the format: runs scored by batting side and wickets lost by the batting side. Remember each batting side has 10 wickets in an innings. So, to use Aspeck's example, 300 for 7 means 300 runs scored and seven wickets lost or 7 batsmen are out. <br />The whole of the cricketing world uses this format except for Australia which puts the number of wickets lost first ie 7 for 300.<br /><br />And that folks, is a basic explanation of the game. There are lots of complex rules etc that make it more interesting. I hope u are not more confused now!<br /><br />A 5 day test is played over a max of 5 days but can be over in less time. Each team gets 2 "innings" to bat. In a 1 day game or rather limited over game, each team only bats for 1 "innings" and the "innings" is limited to 50 overs which is 300 balls.<br /><br />A 5 day game becomes like a chess game with each session ( 2 hour period between lunch and drinks breaks) a tactical mini game. Youv'e gotto understand it to love it!

aspeck

Staff member

Thanks, rude, that helps, I think. So, if they say it is 300 for 7, then there are still more overs coming to the side that is up. And it is the aggregate score at the end that matters for a 1 day match.<br /><br />For the test matches, is it the aggregate score, or the number of days, or mini-matches, that make up the victory margin?<br /><br />I think I could get interested in this game.<br /><br />While being in Ghana I have learned to appreciate polo, so why not cricket also?

Dunaruna

Admiral

One day matches are a little different, I'll come back to that.<br /><br />300 for 7 (or 7 for 300) means that the batting side has scored 300 runs so far and they have 3 more batsmen left. Agregate scores only come into play in a close test match (sort of like a countback system). The only & ultimate object of the game is to score the highest runs.<br /><br />In one dayers the game is timed, when the time is up the highest score wins. This means that the batsmen are going for broke and the bowlers try and take the batsmens heads off. It can be very brutal (dislocated limbs, concusions, fractured skulls and of course - groin injuries - a 'cup' doesn't do much against a leather ball traveling at 100mph).<br /><br />Its not unlike baseball, someone throws the ball, someone tries to smash the living daylights out of it and someone tries to catch it. A 'home run' in cricket is worth 6 runs. Hitting the boundary (not over the fence) is worth 4 runs, a non legal ball is worth 1 run. <br /><br />Aldo

orca

Chief Petty Officer

Dunarunna, I you sure you have been watching the same game, I reckon that you have been flicking across to the wrestling channels, The game is played by two teams of gentlemen who make comments such as," jolly fine shot sir" and "how was that umpire, was he out?" <br />Seriously though, I have never seen a countback in test cricket, Please explaine!

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by whaley:<br /> " jolly fine shot sir" and "how was that umpire, was he out?" <br />
We must be watching different games, all I see is sledging and insults :p .<br /><br />I reread my post and your right, my 2 year old niece could have explained it better. I was trying to avoid explaining about multiple innings and rain delays and ties etc etc. so I said "sort of like a countback'. My bad, please forgive me.<br /><br />As for injuries, it is like wrestling sometimes, I've seen the chin guard smashed of a helmet, broken arms, dislocated shoulders, eye sockets smashed, broken fingers (very common). Bouncers are'nt common these days but every now and again they will slip one in (accidentially of course ;) )<br /><br />Aldo