Credit card signing

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Hey, when you get your credit card do you sign it or do you not? I've heard reasons for signing and reasons for not signing. I thought I'd poll you all and see what the majority says.

D

DJ

Re: Credit card signing

I do not. If anyone ever questions me, I'll sign it in front of them.

Link

Rear Admiral

I Alway write "Ask for ID" where you are supposed to sign.<br />Good evening Bassy :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Why don't you sign the card?

Xcusme

Commander

I NEVER sign the card....if it's lost, they have your signature as well!<br /><br />Another tip, call your CC company, have them put a verbal password on your account. Without this password, no one can make a 'change of address' on your account, or any other changes , for that matter !

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Many stores here in TX are now comparing your ticket signature to the signature on the card. Some wont honor an unsigned CC.<br /><br />Xcusme, and others who don't sign: If it is unsigned, then all someone who steals or finds it has to do is sign it to get to use it. Your signature is better protection than no signature.

FSHKPR

Ensign

i never sign it either on the back where you are supose to sign i do like link, i write in ask for drivers License. i think credit cards should have your picture on them too.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

That is a very good point JB, I agree. I had that discussion with a frined of mine. They either have to forge your signature if it's on there, or sign it their way if it's blank. Sign it. You can get taken either way. Most places never look for it anyway. Half the time I end up with my wife's debit visa somehow and just sign my name, and Stephen looks nothing like Michelle no matter how you write it. :D

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

i put see id on there and everywere i use it asks to see my id so i feel better my wife tried to use it once and thay would not let her

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Just like Link "I do not sign"!!!!<br /><br />On back of my charge card in water proof magic marker says "See License"!!!! :) <br /><br />Noticed that when you sign, all they do at the cashier, is maybe look to see if signed ,but do not compare signature!!! Very few cashiers check signature to sales slip!!!! ;) :cool:

sangerwaker

Commander

I voted that I sign my card, but there is some other important info, too.<br /><br />I also put "SEE ID" and my signature on my cards. If someone gets ahold of your card with only SEE ID on it, all they have to do is make a phony ID of some type with your name on it.<br /><br />Personally, I don't like leaving them blank either. You are only making it easier for someone if they get your card(s).<br /><br />Even though I have SEE ID on the back, it amazes me how many cashiers never ask for identification. I would say about 40%, in my experience, don't ask for it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I like the idea of photos on CCs, and many stores here are requiring a photo ID, too.<br /><br />DFW Channel 5 took an employee's CC (Afro male) and had white women from the staff use it. They not only used it successfully, none of them signed the right name on the ticket, one signed it "Ima Fake" and others signed names selected at random that did not match the CC owner's name.<br /><br />Caused quite a stir, and scared heck out of a lot of folks.

Homerr

Commander

I've never even heard of 'not signing it'<br /><br />I always have because I don't want a thief signing my name. If they did, who knows how far they could go.<br /><br />I too rarely get asked to see my ID with a credit card. Good idea to put 'See ID' on it.<br /><br />H.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I have never been ID'ed when using a CC. My wife was in a Big Lots in Waco once. She had lost her liscense and they wouldn't take a check without it. Nevr would believe it but they accepted a credit card from her. Now they do't believe the check is hers but they do believe the CC is? Come on and get real!

seawings

Cadet

It was recommended to put "ASK FOR DRIVER LICENSE" and other forms of ID on the back of your CC. This forces a multiple path of recognition. Having said that I have on two different occasions had my CC switched with a friend or business colleague and we each spent merrily for several days before discovering…our discovery not a sale clerk. So…the security of your CC is only as good as the sales clerk and your vigilance.

aspeck

Staff member

I Put in bold letters, "SEE PHOTO ID". Then, I make it a point to thank everyone who asks, and reprimand anyone who doesn't. If they do not ask I ask them if they would like the responsibility for paying for this purchase? They have not requested to see an ID and they have no way of knowing I am in fact the holder of the card. Therefore, if this is a fraudulent purchase, they are the ones ultimately responsible.<br /><br />Of course no credit card company would hold them responsible, but it makes them think. Then instead of showing drivers license, I show them my photo permit to carry for identification. Amazing how many gulps and yes sirs I will then get. HE-HE .. it is fun, you should try it sometime!

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

4:25 pm PST.<br />Yes-42%<br />No- 58%<br />Surprising results. I thought more would be signing. I'm glad I polled. I like the idea of "See ID" on the back. Thanks for posting.<br />Bassy

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I put my address, SS#, DL#, and all kinds of info on there.<br /><br />I like to live dangersouly. :D :D :D <br /><br />Just kidding, I sign.<br /><br />Ken

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

My signature on a credit card does not even vaguely resemble my normal signature. Same with those card swipe boxes with a signature screen. They get something that looks like a mildly wavy line. How the heck can you sign those things when you can't rest your hand on anything to write?